Poison Spyder Body Mount Tire Carrier

REKLESS-RED

Has anyone used one of the new Poison Spyder Body Mount Tire Carriers, or known someone who has. Some advice or reviews on these would be helpful before dropping a grand. I really would like to go with the EVO Body Mounted Tire Carrier but i don't have that kind of money or that big of tire to fill the big loop on top. Any thoughts or suggestions on the matter would be helpful. The rear bumper i am going with is a naked rear with EVO D Ring Mounts! Thanks

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
This one member here didn't trust the latch, this was his solution.
I really wanted to like this carrier, but just isn't doing it for me. I like the rotopax mounts and hi lift jack mounting.

Attachments

• 1430324645743.jpg
    1430324645743.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 532

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This one member here didn't trust the latch, this was his solution.
I really wanted to like this carrier, but just isn't doing it for me. I like the rotopax mounts and hi lift jack mounting.

X2! Looks good but they cut corners toward the end of design. Not for me.

Grubbicon

When I got my EVO carrier I almost got this but after some good time thinking about it I came to the conclusion that I just didn't see it holding up to a 40 in the long run. I could be absolutely wrong with this but just my .02

Sithwindu

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430330323.477175.jpg

I was really hyped for this carrier but then I saw this, they say shipping failure but just this image alone scared me away from it heh just the fact that it happened was enough to steer me clear of the design

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
View attachment 140070

I was really hyped for this carrier but then I saw this, they say shipping failure but just this image alone scared me away from it heh just the fact that it happened was enough to steer me clear of the design

That jeep was backed off a semi trailer and into the back of the cab of the truck. Pretty hard hit. Although I don't think some other carriers would do that.

In fact a friend of mine dropped the entire weight of his jeep off of the obstacle white knuckle on behind the rocks in moab onto his evo carrier and dented it in two places and tweaked it. We were able to adjust the carrier and it wasn't bent at all. That's strong in my opinion.

Last edited:

ttfhell

That jeep was backed off a semi trailer and into the back of the cab of the truck. Pretty hard hit. Although I don't think some other carriers would do that.

In fact a friend of mine dropped the entire weight of his jeep off of the obstacle white knuckle on behind the rocks in moab and dented it in two places and tweaked it. We were able to adjust the carrier and it wasn't bent at all. That's strong in my opinion.

Pics or GTFO!

07JKSahara

In fact a friend of mine dropped the entire weight of his jeep off of the obstacle white knuckle on behind the rocks in moab and dented it in two places and tweaked it. We were able to adjust the carrier and it wasn't bent at all. That's strong in my opinion.

The PS one you mean? That'd be good in my book. I like the look of this one, but never seen it in person.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I like the carrier, saw it in person. Very, very similar to genright other than the top hoop and roto mounts which genright should have an option for....to me tho it just falls short on the latch side once you see it opened up and what keeps it closed. Its nice tho you only have to under the one part and swing it open vs 2 pins like genright. Dont get my wrong the genright latch plate is only held on with 7-8 bolts through the tub, but its solid as can be, even more so when you do a custom mount to skins and weld tabs on. I backed into a big rock/ledge once with the genright and dented it, but never had any issues with it opening or closing.

If ps redesigned the latch side better, I think it would be another great option added along with Evo and Genright which both are rated up to a 42" tire.

REKLESS-RED

So basically what i am seeing is that the carrier itself is strong but that tiny little latch that holds it on is bogus. I completely agree...They had a great design then skimped at the end with the details. I do love the EVO and the Genright carriers (although i would like one without the big loop over the top), which is what drew me to the poison spyder carrier in the first place. The PS might be alright if I or someone else (possibly PS) could come up with an alternative latching system.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I knew the PS one that got crunched was off a semi, but I think overlander is saying the one he references from Moab is an Evo carrier.

Yes. Evo carrier. I don't think any other carrier could of taken that without some major damage.

Top Bottom