2015 rubicon unlimited leather seat issue

Blkbird13

As the title says I have a 2015 rubicon. It has the dark saddle leather and I've noticed that after about 3000 miles the divers seat has what looks like a wear mark this is on the left side of the seat just above the seat adjustment. Looks like the color has worn off. Anyone else have this issue? Should I take it to the dealer or is this normal wear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 316

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Mine looks very similar with the black leather interior. This is caused by the seat side compressing as you enter/exit the Jeep. The leather folds down and makes contact with the recline mechanism.

A little discoloration is normal, however, keep your eye out for a crack/cut in the leather. I've seen the issue talked about a few times and it is usually covered under warranty.

JudeinPa

Yes, I have a 2015 Sahara JKU and noticed the same thing last week! It looks like the coloring wore off in a line just as yours did with a black interior.

Blkbird13

So it seems as though this is a normal wear thing. Anyone heard of the seat splitting after extended time? If so would this fall under a warranty issue.

Havoc40

My '14 JKUR had the same problem. I had a buddy hold back the seat while I took a small carbide burr bit in my angle grinder and put a hefty chamfer on the edge of the handle. I also sanded everything down smooth after. This has seemed to help some so far. It'll still leave a small mark after awhile...but nothing like before. A hefty douse of leather conditioner always cleans it up.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Are you conditioning your leather regularly? I have found this to be the #1 MOST effective way to keep wear from showing on ANY leather vehical seat. Just because "it's a jeep" doesn't mean you don't need to clean/condition and "detail" your leather...

Havoc40

I'm anal about all my vehicles. Inside and out gets detailed every wash...which is about once a week for the Jeep. Keeping them conditioned might be the reason why I can "wipe" this mark away, but it still shows up after about a week.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I'm seeing the same thing in my 15. I have also noticed that unless you got the premium leather upgrade as a $2000 option which is basically a Katskinz cover the seats are only leather trimmed. Most of it is vinyl anyways. I think the only real leather is the two center sections. I've also noticed the stitching starts to pull apart on the bottom of the seat where your butt sits. So if your window sticker says $1300 leather trimmed seats, not much is really leather. Just something I've noticed. I'm trying to keep them conditioned well.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The vinyl cracks and tears over time, which is why I wouldn't pay the extra money for "leather" in a wrangler.

Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
The vinyl cracks and tear over time, which is why I wouldn't pay the extra money for "leather" in a wrangler.

Exactly, I would recommend if you must have leather, buy cloth and get some Katskinz. They seem to hold up much better!

JudeinPa

I don't think this issue is caused by the recliner lever. It isn't close enough to rub the lever. The second picture may be the clue? I think sliding off the seat while getting out may be how the line is forming in the leather. I plan on conditioning my seats and would have already be doing so but the weather just started to warm up enough above freezing. IMG_0428.jpg IMG_0429.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Do you have the real leather? I have not had this issue with my jeep, I have the real leather, I clean the seats with a good (chemical guys) leather cleaner, then condition them, then add the protectant with every detail, my jeep is about 7 months old, but I drive it every day and take it places almost every weekend, I have a lot of seat time in the jeep, but I don't have this issue... if you don't mind me asking, what products are you using when you condition them?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430437268.560360.jpg

You would have two lines if it were from the seat height adjuster. This is only achievable from being a fatass. And if that's the case, join the club with me. 😁

bkac

Caught the Bug
Do you have the real leather? I have not had this issue with my jeep, I have the real leather, I clean the seats with a good (chemical guys) leather cleaner, then condition them, then add the protectant with every detail, my jeep is about 7 months old, but I drive it every day and take it places almost every weekend, I have a lot of seat time in the jeep, but I don't have this issue... if you don't mind me asking, what products are you using when you condition them?

Was your leather option $1300 or premium for $2000?

Blkbird13

So talked to the dealer today. He said he has never seen this with a wrangler other vehicles they sell but no the wrangler. So from the pics and posts I've read this issue however seems more common than not. So he said this is not normal and should be covered under warranty. So he took pictures and sent them in, so we will see. Im thinking they will say its not an issue and not covered, But doesn't hurt to ask. So Im thinking if they do replace it, Im thinking of asking if instead of ordering the vinyl sided one if I can pay more to get the all leather one. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom