Cobra 75WXST CB Installation

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Just a quick write-up for those of you considering the Cobra 75WXST CB. I ordered mine as a kit with coax cable and 4’ Firestick antenna from Northridge 4x4. You can find the package here: http://www.northridge4x4.com/cobra-75wxst-cb-18-coax-cable-firestik-package

Admittedly, I worked my way from back to front. I also read magazines this way. Weird, I know! I first mounted the Firestick Antenna to a center mounted Full Metal Fabworks antenna mount. This mount works great with the EVO MFG GatePlate, as seen below.
IMG_1526.jpg
SAM_2272.jpg

I ran the coax cable through the tailgate vent and behind the plastic cover on the inside of the tailgate. I zip tied the coax to the wire loom that is already running through it. From there, I ran the coax under the rear cargo trim and under the carpet, following the wiring harness along the passenger side, all the way to underneath the dash.
IMG_1526.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_1524.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1530.jpg

I then mounted the CB receiver/transmitter underneath the glove box. The glove box is very easy to take out. With the glove box open, just push the sides of the glove box inward and lift up. I opted to mount the CB to the Jeep using some strong zip ties rather than drilling into anything under the dash.
IMG_1532.jpg
IMG_1534.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg

The ground and power wires I ran through the passenger side of the Jeep. There is a small area where you can do this located under the passenger side dash panel. I opted to ground the black wire to an already existing blot located just underneath the panel.
IMG_1542.jpg
IMG_1536.jpg

The power wire or ‘hot’ wire I ran through a small hole that goes through the firewall and comes out just under the cowl when the hood is open.
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1539.jpg
IMG_1540.jpg
IMG_1541.jpg

To do that, I used a thick wire coat hanger to punch a hole through the spray foam that whether proofs the hole. Once I made a passage, I then taped the red power wire to the coat hanger and ran it with the power wire through the same passage I just made. I then hooked the power wire directly to the battery so that I have the option to use the CB even if the vehicle is not on or running.

I opted, at the advisement of a few members here on WAYALIFE, to use the Cool Tech CB hand mic mount. This is very easy to install and come with instructions that are easy to read and understand. I hooked the hand mic up to the CB unit and ran the mic cable under the dash, securing it along the way to existing wiring with zip ties.
SAM_2282.jpg
SAM_2278.jpg
SAM_2284.jpg

Before re-installing the glove box, I hooked up an external speaker which also came in the kit. I again routed the power cable from the CB box to the center of the dash following existing wires, securing them along the way with zip ties. I opted to mount the external speaker on the extra space I had beside my windshield light switch located on the Daystar lower dash switch panel.
SAM_2283.jpg
SAM_2288.jpg

I have heard others complain about the volume of this unit not going loud enough. I can say from personal experience that with the provided external speaker, I have had no issues hearing anything from it, even with the doors off at highway speeds.

Well, that’s it folks. It is a very easy install, even for someone like me who usually catches stuff on fire when I mess with wires. From start to finish, I had this unit installed in about 1 hour. I love the clean look it gives inside the Jeep, with only the hand mic showing. So far, I have been pleased with this unit and have had no issues communicating while on the interstate. Hope this helps! If you have any questions or need pictures of something specific, please feel free to ask!

rangair94

Nice write up and install. Just an added note of caution. You should put put a grommet or something where the wire goes through here to prevent it from rubbing. Also a fuse close to the battery terminal. If there is a fuse by the CB it is only going to protect the CB. A fuse at the battery will protect the jeep.
attachment.php

KalebD

Just a quick write-up for those of you considering the Cobra 75WXST CB. I ordered mine as a kit with coax cable and 4’ Firestick antenna from Northridge 4x4. You can find the package here: http://www.northridge4x4.com/cobra-75wxst-cb-18-coax-cable-firestik-package

Admittedly, I worked my way from back to front. I also read magazines this way. Weird, I know! I first mounted the Firestick Antenna to a center mounted Full Metal Fabworks antenna mount. This mount works great with the EVO MFG GatePlate, as seen below.
View attachment 140581
View attachment 140582

I ran the coax cable through the tailgate vent and behind the plastic cover on the inside of the tailgate. I zip tied the coax to the wire loom that is already running through it. From there, I ran the coax under the rear cargo trim and under the carpet, following the wiring harness along the passenger side, all the way to underneath the dash.
View attachment 140581
View attachment 140583
View attachment 140584
View attachment 140585
View attachment 140586

I then mounted the CB receiver/transmitter underneath the glove box. The glove box is very easy to take out. With the glove box open, just push the sides of the glove box inward and lift up. I opted to mount the CB to the Jeep using some strong zip ties rather than drilling into anything under the dash.
View attachment 140587
View attachment 140588
View attachment 140589

The ground and power wires I ran through the passenger side of the Jeep. There is a small area where you can do this located under the passenger side dash panel. I opted to ground the black wire to an already existing blot located just underneath the panel.
View attachment 140590
View attachment 140591

The power wire or ‘hot’ wire I ran through a small hole that goes through the firewall and comes out just under the cowl when the hood is open.
View attachment 140592
View attachment 140593
View attachment 140594
View attachment 140595

To do that, I used a thick wire coat hanger to punch a hole through the spray foam that whether proofs the hole. Once I made a passage, I then taped the red power wire to the coat hanger and ran it with the power wire through the same passage I just made. I then hooked the power wire directly to the battery so that I have the option to use the CB even if the vehicle is not on or running.

I opted, at the advisement of a few members here on WAYALIFE, to use the Cool Tech CB hand mic mount. This is very easy to install and come with instructions that are easy to read and understand. I hooked the hand mic up to the CB unit and ran the mic cable under the dash, securing it along the way to existing wiring with zip ties.
View attachment 140596
View attachment 140597
View attachment 140598

Before re-installing the glove box, I hooked up an external speaker which also came in the kit. I again routed the power cable from the CB box to the center of the dash following existing wires, securing them along the way with zip ties. I opted to mount the external speaker on the extra space I had beside my windshield light switch located on the Daystar lower dash switch panel.
View attachment 140599
View attachment 140600

I have heard others complain about the volume of this unit not going loud enough. I can say from personal experience that with the provided external speaker, I have had no issues hearing anything from it, even with the doors off at highway speeds.

Well, that’s it folks. It is a very easy install, even for someone like me who usually catches stuff on fire when I mess with wires. From start to finish, I had this unit installed in about 1 hour. I love the clean look it gives inside the Jeep, with only the hand mic showing. So far, I have been pleased with this unit and have had no issues communicating while on the interstate. Hope this helps! If you have any questions or need pictures of something specific, please feel free to ask!

Thanks alot for your help sir! Thanks to you I was finally able to finish the installation of my cb! Not quite as nice of a system as yours but it'll do! Thanks again

CoryB

Nice clean install - I like the idea of the zip ties instead of drilling holes.

I definitely second the idea of a rubber grommet and a fuse close to the battery. Also, some plastic wire-loom would be a good idea. A hot wire direct to the battery is a problem waiting to happen.

TwistedJK

Thanks a ton For the write-up! Installed mine yesterday just like you did. Just waiting on antenna and mount to finish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,313
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,327

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Ok, im a little confused. How do i connect this to the battery. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458946115.855123.jpg
Ive never done ANY type of wiring. So i have no clue :doh:

Ddays

Hooked
Ok, im a little confused. How do i connect this to the battery. View attachment 194617
Ive never done ANY type of wiring. So i have no clue :doh:

Ideally you should crimp on a ring terminal and attach to one of the three posts off of the terminal shown. Don't use the nut that tightens the battery terminal because they are a cone type nut that actually tightens the terminal clamp onto the battery post. If you use that one you will be treated to a random instrument panel warning light-show that will leave you wondering what in the hell is happening. Ask me how I know ;)

edit: Geez WJCO, are you a speed typer or what?

Last edited:

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Ideally you should crimp on a ring terminal and attach to one of the three posts off of the terminal shown. Don't use the nut that tightens the battery terminal because they are a cone type nut that actually tightens the terminal clamp onto the battery post. If you use that one you will be treated to a random instrument panel warning light-show that will leave you wondering what in the hell is happening. Ask me how I know ;)

lol thanks for the heads up :cheesy::thumb:

Top Bottom