Moab Metal Masher trail ride may 3

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Prepping to go out on metal masher tomorrow. Spent today rock climbing and MTB but did manage to get in Hells Revenge and get up potato salad hill.

Any advice on metal masher?
It's one of a few trails I've never run before despite jeeping here for 23 years.
I've seen the WAL vid and looks fun. Hoping to have time for the widowmaker at the end.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
You'll probably have an easier time going up Rock Chucker than Widow Maker. The holes at the base of Widow Maker are so deep even buggies weren't making it up a few weeks ago. There is a spike above Widow Maker to winch yourself up if you don't want to drive all the way back to the main road to bypass it.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
You'll probably have an easier time going up Rock Chucker than Widow Maker. The holes at the base of Widow Maker are so deep even buggies weren't making it up a few weeks ago. There is a spike above Widow Maker to winch yourself up if you don't want to drive all the way back to the main road to bypass it.

Thanks for the heads up on widow maker. I'll let you know how it goes

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Have fun man. Wish I was there to run it with you. We were just there last month but I haven't run metal masher so I have no advice for you there

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Just finished.
Trail lives up to its name. Friend of mine broke his rear axle shaft on the approach to the widowmaker.
I also have more rock rash to show.

More report and vids to follow in the coming days

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430712388.174327.jpg

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Was able to condense my trip highlights into a few minutes.

I titled it "Metal Masher Fails".
Wasn't able to clear Rock Chucker or the WidowMaker. My clearance was the main issue both times. My belly pan hung up and I couldn't overcome it.

Had a close call on WidowMaker when my auto tranny wouldn't engage. I had the tranny serviced right before the trip and I needed an extra quart of fluid to help it engage. Fortunately I had thought ahead and my winch control was already plugged in and ready. I would pull out my strap next time and put some people on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9aBbwK9pL4k&feature=em-upload_owner

Last edited:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

Had a close call on WidowMaker when my auto tranny wouldn't engage. I had the tranny serviced right before the trip and I needed an extra quart of fluid to help it engage. Fortunately I had thought ahead and my winch control was already plugged in and ready. I would pull out my strap next time and put some people on it.

Damn, that widow maker section was intense. Glad you made it up okay.

georgi.photo

I titled it "Metal Masher Fails".
Wasn't able to clear Rock Chucker or the WidowMaker. My clearance was the main issue both times. My belly pan hung up and I couldn't overcome it.

AWESOME... Looks like a lot of fun. Keep the vids coming.

thardy

Banned
I believe if you look up the definition of "pucker factor" the portion of that video on Widow Maker will be there! Glad you made it up safely.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I believe if you look up the definition of "pucker factor" the portion of that video on Widow Maker will be there! Glad you made it up safely.

That is definitely a pucker factor moment. My heart was pumping.
I trusted my spotter with my life.

Top Bottom