"Mombo" the black rubi

canadianjku

Got myself a new jeep back in January. Gonna name it "Mombo" after my new offroad buddy.

Figured it was about time to start my build thread. So here it is...2015 Black JKU Rubicon. This is my second jeep. I converted my last one back to stock before selling it so I was able to keep most of the mods (or at least the ones worth keeping) to speed up the new build. I learned a lot from my last build and now have a vision of exactly where I want to go next. This will be a slower build until I can afford nothing less than just that.

Here it is when I picked it up on the lot in January.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 396

canadianjku

Decided to get the black leather interior with premium sound system and Uconnect 730N.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 401

canadianjku

Started with a few small mods. A stubby antenna and swapped the front embalm to a matte black mopar jeep embalm I bought off ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 414

canadianjku

I had a smittybilt xrc front bumper and warrior 8000lbs winch left in the garage from my old jeep. Decided to clean it up and throw it on the rubi. I had previously snapped the old winch cable so I decided to finally replace it with a Rugged ridge 11/32 X 100' Synthetic rope. The fairlead had also rusted and looked awful so I added a poison spyder aluminum fiarlead instead. Think it looks much better with the black fairlead and I love the look of the blue rope. Also saves me about 75lbs on the front end.

In a couple years I will probably upgrade the bumper to poison spyder…love the looks of those. The winch will do for now but I have pushed it for about 4 years now (on my last jeep) and am not sure how much life it has left in it. Once I finally put it to its grave I am gonna upgrade to a 10000lbs warn zeon.

The synthetic has been amazing so far. Have had to use it a few times in some deep snow and it is definitely much easier and cleaner to use than the old wire. I managed to find it on amazon for much cheaper than I could get it in the local shops.

Finally, switched in some JW speaker 8700 headlights and 6150 fog lights. Very impressive in the woods at night. Only negative which I didn't think of was the fact that I live in Canada….lots of snow and cold. Shortly after installing them I drove 4 hours though a snow storm to go skiing...The lights completely froze over...Even with a cm of frost and ice they were probably still brighter than the stock lights but nowhere near their true potential...No plans on changing them anytime soon but some heated LEDs would be awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 395

canadianjku

Mopar Slush mats and cargo mat are in. Great fit in the rear and cargo area but I do wish they were a little longer up front.

Also installed a tuffy passenger side underseat security box. Easy install and fits great under the seat. Can't see it at all when looking in from the windows. Main reason I bought is for summer when the doors come off though….great place to store the small stuff I don't want stolen. Unless they happen to be carrying a breaker bar and want to spend 10 min breaking in I highly doubt anybody will be taking the time to steal that thing. I also love how natural it looks in the jeep.

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 374

canadianjku

Also put together a homemade storage cart for the hardtop last weekend. Summer it almost here and my bestop treetop NX black twill just arrived. Switching out the tops will be this weeks project.

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 288

canadianjku

Painted the callipers black and got rid of any rust that built up over the winter. Looking much cleaner now and ready for the summer. Took a while to prep the areas with rust and then painted it all black with a rust check spray paint. Hopefully it last's a while.

Also a close up at the mopar stage 3 lift installed

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 241

canadianjku

Installed some premium burner rock lights...Thanks for the idea and install instructions Eddie! They look great. Wired a free floating switch into the glove box for now. Eventually when I require a couple other switches I am going to go with an spod and move the switch to that instead.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 205

canadianjku

Sold my soft top and picked up a Bestop Trektop Nx black twill and cargo cover/windjammer but forgot to post some pics. Here's some pics from this summer in its different forms.

Attachments

• 0dmNVy8.jpg
    0dmNVy8.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 207

canadianjku

Upcoming weekend project...some new poison spyder crusher fender flares. Still waiting for the rears to arrive but hopefully I can get the front pre-installed and ready for some powder coating next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 197

canadianjku

Picked up some harley mirrors for when I have the doors off. Cheaper than most aftermarket jeep mirrors and look amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg