Mixing gear oil

Mikead40

I need to change out my rear diff fluid. Laying around my garage I have a quart of amsoil, a quart of royal purple and about half a quart of castrol synthetic. All are 75w-90. Is it ok to mix these?

AJK

Your ok to mix. You would just de-rate all other oils to the lowest of the three brands. Also make sure all have the right friction modifier for your diff.

Mikead40

Your ok to mix. You would just de-rate all other oils to the lowest of the three brands. Also make sure all have the right friction modifier for your diff.

Thank you for your response - when you say de-rate, what exactly do you mean? I'm assuming the API GL rating - in which case all are meet GL-5 requirements based on their data sheets

Last edited:

David1tontj

Thank you for your response - when you say de-rate, what exactly do you mean? I'm assuming the API GL rating - in which case all are meet GL-5 requirements based on their data sheets

I think that's what he meant. Basically just treat your new oil as if it's the worst of the 3.

AJK

I think that's what he meant. Basically just treat your new oil as if it's the worst of the 3.

Exactly, change intervals and friction modifiers are different in all three. Castrol being the worst of the three. So just treat all the others as if they were Castrol.

Last edited:

TomJK

Exactly, change intervals and friction modifiers are different in all three. Castrol being the worst of the three. So just treat all the others as if they were Castrol.

Castrol is the worst? Aw man... I just put it in my read dif, and was going to put the rest in the front... Is it really that bad?

AJK

Castrol is the worst? Aw man... I just put it in my read dif, and was going to put the rest in the front... Is it really that bad?

It's ok stuff, just the lesser of the three brands listed.

Top Bottom