Dana 30/Dana 44, 5.13, Eaton E-Locker Install

BlackHabuJKU12

This weekend, I just finished an upgrade to re-gear and add lockers to my JKU 12'.

For the guys already running this set up, would anyone with the same set up like to share with me their experience? Does and don'ts. Differences in the handling both crawling and highway, changes in RPM ranges. Also, if you recommend upgrading axles or leaving then to be the weakest point or any other mods i.e. gussets.

Additionally, did anyone with Dana 30 have to shave axles to fit the upgrade?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Welcome to WAL! :standing wave:

I would advise that you avoid locking your front axle to prevent you from breaking your R&P on the trail.

hbkid22

Welcome!

As for the set-up....I hope you did not lock the front? You are fine to run 5.13s in a D30 (other will disagree but I am currently doing so) but just know you are taking a risk. I would not bother with any more upgrades other than c-gussets on a D30 and hope it doesn't break until you can get a new axle. :yup: Just not worth the money.....

Welcome!

As for the set-up....I hope you did not lock the front? You are fine to run 5.13s in a D30 (other will disagree but I am currently doing so) but just know you are taking a risk. I would not bother with any more upgrades other than c-gussets on a D30 and hope it doesn't break until you can get a new axle. :yup: Just not worth the money.....

I bought a Jeep with 4.88s and a Eaton E-Locker with RCV shafts and all the other works too. Took it out and broke damn near everything the first time out. The locker was the only thing that was still usable, but when I rebuilt I opted to put an open carrier back in.

My beef with the Eaton E-Lockers is the time to engagement. They take 180 degrees to lock and IMO this increases the likelihood off breaking other parts as you will likely be under more power and tire rotation speed when it finally locks.

BlackHabuJKU12

All good info, thanks for sharing.

Did anyone see an increase in RPMs?

I think I need to tried reprogramming it again to 5.13. Maybe it's not taking the input of changes.

RPMs should drop as the transmission ships.

Eezybreezy08

I am about to try 37s on the Dana 30 with 4.88s. So I'm gonna be keeping up with all of yall to see how yalls holds up.

REKLESS-RED

I am about to try 37s on the Dana 30 with 4.88s. So I'm gonna be keeping up with all of yall to see how yalls holds up.

Stop by Give us a Wave and properly introduce yourself... especially before you go about discussing running 37's on a Dana30.

Welcome to WAL...

Eezybreezy08

I have 37s on a 30. Take it easy now when to get pulled out and youll do fine.

I know a couple of folks that are running 37s on Dana 30s. And honestly I will probably do that when I'm fixing my 44 that I get off a junk yard like I'm doing my wife's right now. So when it exploded on me, I won't care. I'll have the 44 in reserve. Just like engines since I've already blown one of them

Top Bottom