Rock Krawler Triple Rate vs. TeraFlex Coil Testing out on Prison Hill

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Over the weekend, our good friend Adam (OverlanderJK) came up to Camp WAYALIFE to get away from the hustle and bustle of SoCal living and spend a few days relaxing and wheeling with us up here in beautiful Northern Nevada. While he was up here, he agreed to let us use his 2-door JK to install a set of new Rock Krawler Triple Rate coils that had been sent out to us a while back for testing. To help understand what we would be comparing them to, Adam was running a set of TeraFlex 3" coils that yielded over 4" of lift on his 2-door JK and had paired them up with a set of new Rancho RS5000X shocks. For our purposes, we would only be swapping out the coils and keeping everything else exactly the same so that we could get an apples to apples comparison. Our goal was to get a lower ride height, one that would still offer the same amount of droop without unseating a coil and with any luck, obtain a softer ride as well. Below are some photos of the initial testing we did with the existing TeraFlex coils, the installation of the new Rock Krawler coils and then some more testing out on Prison Hill.

Here's a shot of Adam soon after showing up to Camp WAYALIFE. Trail Bud Doug also came out for the day.
main.php

Heading down to the end of the street and up into the hills to do some testing.
main.php

The support crew.
main.php

What's nice about Prison Hill is that there are tons of great lines you can take and ranging in difficulty from mild to wild. After hitting some ruts and whoops to get an idea of how the coils feel as a whole, we decided to climb up some of the cracks to see how the existing TeraFlex coils flex.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Trail Bud following close behind just in case.
main.php

After finding a good obstacle to test things out, we crossed Adam's Jeep up and put it in a full flex front and rear.
main.php

main.php

Here's a shot of the TeraFlex front coil at a full droop.
main.php

Here's a shot of the front coil at a full stuff.
main.php

Shot of the rear coil at a full droop.
main.php

And the rear coil at a full stuff.
main.php

After taking our pics, we decided to have a bit more fun before going back to the garage.
main.php

Unfortunately, without front lockers, Adam got him self in a bind and needed a little help out. Fortunately, Moby was near by.
main.php

main.php

Poser shot after the assist.
main.php

main.php

Trail Bud having some fun before heading back to turn some wrenches.
main.php

main.php

Time to head back and rack up Adam's Jeep.
main.php

Racked up and ready to go. Can you see Moby?
main.php

Removing the front track bar mount at the axle.
main.php

Wheels off up front.
main.php

Disconnecting the front sway bar links.
main.php

Pulling the bolts on the lower shock mounts.
main.php

Removing the existing TeraFlex coils.
main.php

For comparison sake, here are a couple of shots that'll help to illustrate just how much taller the Rock Krawler Triple rate front coils are compared to 3" TeraFlex coils. And, as hard as it may be for some to believe, the Rock Krawler coils will offer LESS lift - about an inch less.
main.php

main.php

Installing the new Rock Krawler coil with a new axle mounted bump stop extension in place of the TeraFlex one that was installed in the jounce cup above.
main.php

On to the rear, removing the wheels.
main.php

Removing the rear track bar mounting bolt at the axle.
main.php

Removing the lower shock bolt.
main.php

Disconnecting the rear sway bar link.
main.php

Pulling the old TeraFlex coils.
main.php

Here's a side by side shot of the old TeraFlex 3" rear coil next to the new Rock Krawler coil. As you can see, the TeraFlex coil is slightly shorter but uses a thicker wire to make the coil and has a wider diameter. If the Rock Krawler rear coil really has more than a single rate, it wasn't something you could easily see like the front coils.
main.php

In with the new Rock Krawler rear coil.
main.php

This is an initial shot of what the Rock Krawler Triple Rate front coil looks like once installed. As you will see, the top 3 winds are solid (fully compressed) at ride height as are the bottom 2 winds. If they were supposed to be designed to offer a softer ride around town, they won't be able to do much of that.
main.php

Here's an after shot of what everything looked like when all was said and done. As you will see, the front end of Adam's 2-door Jeep JK Wrangler was now sitting a full inch lower than before in spite of the Rock Krawler coils being measurably taller than the 3" TeraFlex coils. For our purposes, this was what we were hoping for. However, the rear sat about 2" lower that before and that made his Jeep look nose high. I should also note that this put the rear bump stop just about 2" away from the extension mounted on the axle.
main.php

Back out at Prison Hill, we took on the same terrain and took a few after shots with the new Rock Krawler Triple Rate coils installed. Here's Adam's Jeep all crossed up and at a full flex.
main.php

main.php

This is the front coil at a full droop. As you can see, even though the coil offers a lower stance up front, it'll still droop out as far as the shocks being run will extend and without unseating the coil from the perch.
main.php

This is what the front coil looks like at a full stuff. As you can see, with the exception of the very top winds and the couple at the bottom which were already running solid, the middle section of the coil is still open.
main.php

Here's a shot of the rear coil at a full droop. As is the case with the front coils, it is still seated within its perches.
main.php

Here's a shot of the rear coil at a full stuff. With the exception of the top winds of which are bowed a bit and making contact on one side, the coil is otherwise running open on all the other winds.
main.php

Soon after doing this test run, we headed back to the garage to install a set of TeraFlex 1/2" rear coil spacers to help restore a bit more lift there as without them, we were bottoming out way too much on the whoops and when hitting ruts hard. This helped out a lot and it's what I would recommend if you plan on running these coils.

Over the next 2 days, we also tested out these new Rock Krawler Triple Rate Coils around town, out on the highway, on dirt roads and out on two other local trails - Secret Canyon and Bronco Canyon and what I can tell you is this. The new lower stance is great and the coils stay in place nicely even at a full flex. As far as ride comfort goes, I personally couldn't tell any difference between the Rock Krawler Triple Rate Coils and the 3" TeraFlex ones we replaced. In my opinion, they rode on the firm side and I'm sure a lot of that was because we were only riding around on just one of the 3 rates the coils are supposed to have. Of course, there are a lot of people who prefer a ride like that and, as I always like to say, ride comfort is 100% subjective.

I hope this write-up and review has been helpful to you and if you have any questions, I will do what I can to answer them to the best of my ability. :cool:

Hot94Z28

How would you think these compared to the older style coils? I have the old style and was thinking of getting EVO plush rides but have a heavy rig and was thinking these might offer the same ride height and better ride?

OJK12

Looked like a blast where you guys were wheeling!! Just curious though, have you guys ever considered running the plush rides but trimming them to get a lower ride height or do you think that would ruin the ride of the plush rides? I know guys who that cut certain coil springs to get a particular ride height but I've never done it myself or road in a vehicle with them cut.

K.D.C.H

Great write up and as always, thanks for the informative and unbiased information.

Very interesting to see the side by side spring comparison

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Great write up and as always, thanks for the informative and unbiased information.

That always throws people, you can't go by coil length to determine actual lift height.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool! nice shots, looks like a couple of fun days!

Well, depending on how long you can stay out here when you come out, I can take you out to play too :D

How would you think these compared to the older style coils? I have the old style and was thinking of getting EVO plush rides but have a heavy rig and was thinking these might offer the same ride height and better ride?

Honestly, it'd be really hard to say for sure unless I could do a back to back test. I always felt that the older Rock Krawler coils rode on the firm side if only because most had the softer side of the dual rate coil run solid and that left you running on the firm side. It is possible that these new Triple Rate Coils are different but, I couldn't say for sure. All I can say is that I couldn't feel a difference between them and the TeraFlex coils.

Plush Ride coils are really soft and offer a nice ride but they do sag quite a bit in the rear when your rig is loaded up with a ton of gear. When I was running them, I had to run rear coil spacers to help make up the difference.

Looked like a blast where you guys were wheeling!! Just curious though, have you guys ever considered running the plush rides but trimming them to get a lower ride height or do you think that would ruin the ride of the plush rides? I know guys who that cut certain coil springs to get a particular ride height but I've never done it myself or road in a vehicle with them cut.

Of all the 3" coils out there, the Plush Rides have the lowest ride height. I don't think you'd want to lower your stance any more.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks, I'm glad you found this to be informative and unbiased.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Here is my take on the whole thing. The teraflex coils are from a 3" kit and the Rock Krawler are for a 2.5" kit. Teraflex yielded 4.5" of lift in the front and the Rock Krawler yielded 3.5" of lift in the front.

The Teraflex coils are firm and having driven with both rancho 9000's and 5000's the 5000's make them feel a little better. At full droop my teraflex coils unseated in the front on a regular basis. The rears never came unseated.

The Rock Krawler coils are longer but when installed were a full inch or a little more lower in the front then the teraflex coils. The softer rates of the rock krawler coils are fully compressed at ride height making them useless in my opinion. The benefit is that when at full droop I haven't unseated a coil yet which is nice. The ride is comparable to teraflex and I wouldn't say it's worse or better. I do like the lower height of the jeep overall though.

I am disappointed in the rear rock krawler coils though. They were the same length or a little shorter then the teraflex and when installed were really low. I don't notice much as far as three rates on the rear coils which leads me to believe they market the triple rate as a front coil only. The rear bottomed out hard until I added a spacer and then it stopped.

I personally think the rear coils in this kit need some more work. I have a fairly light two door and it still sagged. The teraflex coils had more then 70k miles on them so they were really broken in. The rock krawler coils now have about 800 miles on them so we will see how much they settle in the months to come.

If you are running a teraflex coil or something similar I wouldn't recommend swapping to Rock Krawler. If you are in the market for a suspension I would recommend the Rock Krawler over the teraflex coils.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I didn't know Overlander was in town. You should have called me, is have gone wheeling with you guys. :crazyeyes:

Hot94Z28

I like the review but I think I will stay with what I have for now I would like EVO plush coils but my rig is heavy and would not like the sag. I have been waiting for your review on these was hoping they would be smoother than my old style RK springs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I like the review but I think I will stay with what I have for now I would like EVO plush coils but my rig is heavy and would not like the sag. I have been waiting for your review on these was hoping they would be smoother than my old style RK springs.

It's hard to have your cake and eat it too. If you don't like spring sag, you have to run a heavier rate coil. If want a softer ride, you have to deal with spring sag.

Wow, I'm surprised ride quality wasn't noticeably better. Good read.

To be fair, "better" is subjective. For the record, all I stated was that I didn't notice a difference in ride quality.

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks for the right up. Good informative/educational piece. :thumb:

When bottoming out in the back and the coils compressed, was this with the jeep loaded with gear or nothing in the back?

Well, depending on how long you can stay out here when you come out, I can take you out to play too

I like the sound of this :)

Great post! I was considering these coils for the wife's Jeep as the Synergy coils we tried are still a bit too high IMO for her 35s.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for the right up. Good informative/educational piece. :thumb:

When bottoming out in the back and the coils compressed, was this with the jeep loaded with gear or nothing in the back?

It was loaded for all the tests. It would have bottomed out even without being loaded.

Top Bottom