Toyo 37" Open Country R/T on Fuel Trophy wheels initial review

twoxstreem

I bolted on a new set of Fuel Trophy 17" with 4.5" backspacing wrapped in Toyo's brand new 37x12.50x17 Open Country R/Ts this week.

I was coming from 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on AEV Pintlers with 5.2 backspacing for a reference point.

The Decision process:

I decided that I wanted 35" or 37" off-road tire with good on-road manners, quiet performance on the highway without going full A/T like the BFG KO2 or Nitto Exo Grappler or Terra Grapplers. For my tastes the tread pattern on the A/Ts are not as appealing to me vs. aggressive M/Ts tires like Toyo MT, Nitto trails, Cooper STT etc. Weight is a issue I wanted to avoid and to limit the rolling mass as much as possible. I as much as I love the look of Toyo or Nittos on ATX slabs, the weight and off-road air down performance isn't worth the wear and tear on my DD. I wheel a few times per year. I also make a few long highway trips each year which range 400-600 miles each way.

Over the life of my 35" Trail Grapplers I would considered them quiet on the highway at 70 MPH and under and they wear like iron. I rotated them every oil change and still have 10MM left at 42,000 mi. They would be strong candidates for replacement if the R/T was never released by Toyo.

The price was great at $332 for 37x12.50x17s and $345 for 37x13.50x17s. Weighing the options between, the two widths I chose the 12.50 because of the weight savings of 8lbs per tire, potentially more road noise or walking on the highway from 13.50. Fitment and rubbing from a wider tire was also considered. I should also mention that the 37x12.50 R/T is 3lbs lighter than the 35x12.50x17 Nitto. I am sure there is extra rolling resistance with a wider tire as well. At the end of the day the practical side of me chose 12.50s over the meatier 13.50s.

Setup:
JKU with 4" EVO Plush ride coils
factory flares
17" Fuel trophy in gun metal with 4.5" BS
37x12.50x17 Toyo R/T

Initial impressions:

Shipping mounted and balanced and 5 day delivery was a major bonus. I chose not to use TPSM, as I turned off that feature with my procal so I saved $40 per tire.

After bolting them on, they are considerably larger than I expected especially compared to the worn nittos. Mounted on Trophys and inflated to 30LBs they are 37 - 1/8" tall off the Jeep and 36.5" on. Check out he photos below.

The tread pattern is much more aggressive in person than in photos. Just like Nittos they have a lip protector and each side has a slightly different sidewall pattern although its very similar.

They arrived balanced with 0 oz to 4 oz per tire which I consider is pretty good. I ordered aluminum centric rings on ebay for $13. I wanted the piece of mind coming off of a hub centric wheel its nice to know that both the lugs and rings will keep things aligned correctly.

The Trophy's lug nut pockets are tight. I have already ordered slimmer spline lug nuts from gorilla which will give some more room for a thin walled socket and not mar the wheel finish.

Highway Test Drive:

Silent.... really, really silent. There is a very, very slight hum at 70 mph but I would never be able to tell that I was driving on an aggressive off road tire if I didn't know first. The taller sidewall tends to lean a little more than thee 35s on turns but they ride softer than the nitto 35s aired to 26 lbs. They wondered slightly on grooved highway pavement but otherwise tracked very straight on all all other streets and highways.

Photos:

Photo May 05, 3 58 30 PM.jpg Photo May 05, 4 04 02 PM (1).jpg Photo May 05, 6 22 14 PM.jpg Photo May 05, 6 28 03 PM.jpg Photo May 05, 7 28 02 PM.jpg Photo May 05, 7 28 09 PM.jpg Photo May 06, 11 08 33 PM.jpg Photo May 07, 12 25 15 PM.jpg

next to a TJ with new 37x12.50x17 GY MTRs
Photo May 06, 8 17 22 AM.jpg

I plan on hitting Rausch Creek in June. I will report back after a few more miles and the off-road characteristics after my Rausch trip.

:beer:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the look of these tires. Thanks for the review. I can't wait to hear how they do on the trail

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Sweet looking tire and with a 45,000 tread warranty. Can't beat that. They look to be a hybrid AT/MT yes?

twoxstreem

Is it me or do those 37s look small under your lift?

Edit: looks clean by the way!

Thanks. I have a detail shop at my office so she gets hand washed every week.

Maybe its the less aggressive side tread might give it that illusion. Nittos and TOYO MT's have more side bite and that could be the difference. Not really sure.

I just remeasured the tires and they are about 36-1/4" w 30lbs of air and fully loaded.

JLE21

I've been eyeing those tires as well, keep us updated on trail performance and how they wear. They look sweet :beer:

JohnnyD

I have these in 35's...finally got out on the trail today...they are awesome.

They stick to rock really well even when wet , they plow through the mud. Though I will say the mud tends to cake on them a bit but a good wheel speed should clear them out.

I have to say this is a great all round tire...

AJE

On the stock rubicon rims they weigh 102 lbs. And I agree about the noise, at 70 they are quieter than the stock KMs.

TwistedJK

On the stock rubicon rims they weigh 102 lbs. And I agree about the noise, at 70 they are quieter than the stock KMs.

Thanks. I was trying to compare them to the Iroks I have in 285/70/17, which weigh close to 85 lbs I stick rubicon wheels.

Top Bottom