Jeep likes trailer

wwood

Grandkids just came out to AZ for a visit. Doing my part to introduce them to the Wayalife. :)

Plus the Jeep got a new job - towing the Rzr and trailer.
I had been wondering whether the Jeep could pull a fairly heavy trailer on top of being lifted, bigger tires, etc.
Was real happy to learn that the Jeep pulled the trailer very well, total weight about 2,200lbs.
Jeep has the 3.6L, 6 speed manual, 4.10 gears, 35s, 3" EVO Plush rides.

Kids had a great time. The Rzr is perfect for the mostly narrow trails we have near us in Sycamore Creek area northeast of Scottsdale, way too narrow for the Jeep.

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• DSC05066.jpg
    DSC05066.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC05067.jpg
    DSC05067.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC05069.jpg
    DSC05069.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC05070.jpg
    DSC05070.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 263

David1tontj

I was impressed by how easy my Tj pulled my trailer with Rzr as well. I can imagine that the 3.6 did really well since it's got an extra 75 hp more than my 4.0L!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431091479.784317.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431091543.302431.jpg

hammonds42

Grandkids just came out to AZ for a visit. Doing my part to introduce them to the Wayalife. :)

Plus the Jeep got a new job - towing the Rzr and trailer.
I had been wondering whether the Jeep could pull a fairly heavy trailer on top of being lifted, bigger tires, etc.
Was real happy to learn that the Jeep pulled the trailer very well, total weight about 2,200lbs.
Jeep has the 3.6L, 6 speed manual, 4.10 gears, 35s, 3" EVO Plush rides.

Kids had a great time. The Rzr is perfect for the mostly narrow trails we have near us in Sycamore Creek area northeast of Scottsdale, way too narrow for the Jeep.

Here are a few pics:

Do you think it could of handled 2,500 lbs? I ask because I want a very similar setup to yours but I want to be able to tow a '67 mustang from Indiana to South Carolina. Do think it would do very well going up steep inclines?

wwood

Do you think it could of handled 2,500 lbs? I ask because I want a very similar setup to yours but I want to be able to tow a '67 mustang from Indiana to South Carolina. Do think it would do very well going up steep inclines?

I believe the rated towing capacity of the factory 4 door JK with 3.73 or 4.10 gears is 3,500 lbs (the 2 door or higher gears is only 2,000 lbs) so I don't see a problem towing 2,500 lbs on a moderately lifted JKU for trips on reasonably flat roads. There are lots of hills in my area and short steep inclines are no problem but I plan to stay away from long steep inclines in highway driving because my Jeep will not pull the trailer up some long gradual inclines in 6th gear, have to downshift to 5th. Have not tried any long steep inclines yet but I would probably have to downshift to 4th gear which I don't like for any significant distance. I was mainly worried that the 3" lift and bigger tires would make the Jeep handle poorly towing a trailer at highway speeds (65 mph is the max speed rating on my trailer tires and I obey that limit), namely throwing the Jeep around, swaying, porpoising, etc. but my Jeep still tracks straight. I would not try to trailer the Rzr up to Flagstaff, for example, because that trip from Phoenix is all uphill with some nasty steep inclines. Going up even a gradual incline definitely does put a drag on the Jeep and pulling that extra weight definitely kills gas mileage. So if you have a lot of steep inclines on your trip from Indiana to South Carolina I would not recommend using a lifted JKU as a tow vehicle. If you are only talking about a one time trip maybe it would be ok, but not ideal in my opinion.

OHIORUBICON

I have JKUR with the 3.8 with all the armor but no lift yet and tow my dirt bike trailer hunderds of miles a month. Trailer weighs about 400, dirt bikes go about 250 a peice i have anywhere between 1 and 3 of them on there at any given time and ive been pretty happy, i only need to grab 5th gear on the steeper highway hill in southern ohio and west virgina and even then thats only to keep the hammer down at 75mph.

But then again im coming from towing this same set up with a 2.5 Low output 98 TJ on 31s with 3 inchs of lift and arrmor..... i was grabbing 4th and sometimes 3rd all the time then! lol:driving:

David1tontj

Nice KTM logo!! do you ride bikes also?? I have about 10 rides and 25 hours in allready this year on KTM 300 since the last weekend of march!

I used to ride a lot, but Since my back surgery last December I haven't been on the dirt much. I've been mountain biking a lot, but don't trust myself (competitiveness) on the dirt bike yet.

I sold my motocross bike (2008 yz450f) and got a more mellow ride. 2006 ktm 450exc. It's nice to get my 2 wheel fix.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431300902.869097.jpg
Old

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431300939.690840.jpg
New

Riley Moss

I believe the rated towing capacity of the factory 4 door JK with 3.73 or 4.10 gears is 3,500 lbs (the 2 door or higher gears is only 2,000 lbs) so I don't see a problem towing 2,500 lbs on a moderately lifted JKU for trips on reasonably flat roads. There are lots of hills in my area and short steep inclines are no problem but I plan to stay away from long steep inclines in highway driving because my Jeep will not pull the trailer up some long gradual inclines in 6th gear, have to downshift to 5th. Have not tried any long steep inclines yet but I would probably have to downshift to 4th gear which I don't like for any significant distance. I was mainly worried that the 3" lift and bigger tires would make the Jeep handle poorly towing a trailer at highway speeds (65 mph is the max speed rating on my trailer tires and I obey that limit), namely throwing the Jeep around, swaying, porpoising, etc. but my Jeep still tracks straight. I would not try to trailer the Rzr up to Flagstaff, for example, because that trip from Phoenix is all uphill with some nasty steep inclines. Going up even a gradual incline definitely does put a drag on the Jeep and pulling that extra weight definitely kills gas mileage. So if you have a lot of steep inclines on your trip from Indiana to South Carolina I would not recommend using a lifted JKU as a tow vehicle. If you are only talking about a one time trip maybe it would be ok, but not ideal in my opinion.

I towed a uhaul trailer in my 2dr sport manual with the 3.6 the weighed 2600 over government pass on 26 no problems at all

Top Bottom