Question for Military Members

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Strange question, but figured with the number of Military Wayalifers we have on here maybe somebody could point me in the right direction. I have a case and I think the opposing party is lying about having served in Vietnam (claims to have been a gunner on a helicopter.) He is a felon, and has lied about several other things in the case. I would like to prove he is also dishonest about having served our country because it will further show his character (or lack thereof).

We have initiated the proper records request through the federal government...but that takes time. I'm curious if there are any other ways to skin the same cat.

Thanks.

-Sharkey

JKWrang

Dept of the navy, specifically the marine corps but in sure this exists for sailors too, have a search tool in their marine online that you can search a service member and if memory serves, you can also see their station and their active status. Not much personal detail there but it might help you out. If you have any navy friends see if they have this same tool and if they do, if it can search back thay far.

Its a long shot but its an idea

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
He should have a dd-214 that replaced the WD AGO form in 1950.

Though by your post, he probably has an excuse for not being able to produce that.

JKWrang

You could also see if the unit (or command) he claims he was with has any records in their admin shop of his service. I doubt youd have any faster luck going through the base admin shop but some motivated seaman might have a hard on to help out in amyway he can without realizing hes unauthorized to do so

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Dept of the navy, specifically the marine corps but in sure this exists for sailors too, have a search tool in their marine online that you can search a service member and if memory serves, you can also see their station and their active status. Not much personal detail there but it might help you out. If you have any navy friends see if they have this same tool and if they do, if it can search back thay far.

I haven't hear or seen something like that but I've never needed it lol. I'll look when I go back to work on Monday.

MTG

Caught the Bug
When you get him on the stand or in a depo, just ask him if he ordered the code red.

asullivan920

Like stated before you could ask for his form DD-214 (discharge/separation papers) which sounds like he will have some type of story as to why he lost it. Going through the veteran service records which you already have done may not be fast but is reliable. Not sure if this would be any help but these guys bust fake veterans. www.stolenvalor.com

ClarksAdventures

Navy has the same too. I don't know how involved you are with him. But if I remember right, all you need was last name and either part of social or whole social.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
It's been mentioned twice now, but the form DD-214 is your best bet to know for sure. If the guy doesn't have it, he can obtain it if he truly served in the Navy. Even my Dad was able to obtain his (after he threw the original away with his sea bag when he returned from Vietnam) through the VA 40 years later.

That is the single most important form that a sailor gets when he separates or retires from the Navy. We pay a lot of attention to exactly what is on the form because due to the benefit implications.

budmanm3

Like stated before you could ask for his form DD-214 (discharge/separation papers) which sounds like he will have some type of story as to why he lost it. Going through the veteran service records which you already have done may not be fast but is reliable. Not sure if this would be any help but these guys bust fake veterans. www.stolenvalor.com

^^ agreed these guys will research it properly, just don't expect results quickly as they are swamped with requests. It's sad the amount of people out there claiming what they haven't earned. Just sad

If the guy will not produce a DD-214 you can ask where he joined. Then go to the clerk of the courts and do a document search for his DD-214. Upon separation the DD-214 is placed on file with the home of record or place of enlistment.

Another option is to contact Navy Personnel Command and their archive section which you can search by the name and if you have the service number you search by this as well.

Like everyone has said, asking to see his DD-214 is the best way to know if he's telling the truth. My personal favorite way of catching stolen valor liars in bars and such is to ask them a bunch of friendly questions and see where they slip up.

If you have intimate knowledge of a branch (Army in my case) it's fun to play around with them. Sometimes it's almost too easy. A few weeks ago i overheard a guy at the bar telling the girl he was with that he served as a scout sniper in the Army in Afghanistan (first red flag). I got to talking to him, playing dumb, and asked what his MOS was, where he went to basic, what unit he served with. By the end of the night, I had found that he was an 11B, went to basic at Fort Bragg (11B's basic is Benning), and was in the 90th Airborne Division (hasn't been activated since WW2), and had 12 combat jumps (there have only been 41 combat jumps and 90% of them were WW2). I just rolled my eyes, said thank you for your service, and left.

Top Bottom