Tinted my factory soft top windows

Jeeplife101

Decided to try and tint the clear soft top windows and I am liking the results. I bought the Gila Peel and Cling 5%VLT window tint and the application kit. All in all it was around 20-30 bucks and it worked. Super easy installation and it only took about 35 mins to do sides and rear window. Here is a couple pictures of it before and after. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431126759.093433.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431126603.292504.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431126324.855968.jpg

Last edited:

Peak

Looks good, I was thinking about doing it to mine but wasn't too sure how it would hold up. I think I might give it a shot over the weekend.

Jeeplife101

Looks good, I was thinking about doing it to mine but wasn't too sure how it would hold up. I think I might give it a shot over the weekend.

Thank you, just take your time you'll be happy when your done trust me. Huge difference !

Turned out nice. I have factory tinted plastic and I'm so freaking glad I do. I don't like the clear look at all. Looks really nice now.

I just gotta say I love the finger in the pic! I saw that and I totally flashed back to any Polaroid my dad would shoot. He somehow managed to get his fingertip in every shot! Very funny. Not baggin on you. Just hit a good memory. Thanks!

Kalums

Did you cut to fit or did you cut before you installed? I want to do this with 3M film.....

Jeeplife101

Did you cut to fit or did you cut before you installed? I want to do this with 3M film.....

I took the windows inside placed the film on the window cut to fit then installed. I would have used the 3M but I was told by a buddy the cling and peel kind by Gila works best for soft top windows.

Grubbicon

I just gotta say I love the finger in the pic! I saw that and I totally flashed back to any Polaroid my dad would shoot. He somehow managed to get his fingertip in every shot!
Im willing to bet that was to cover up his plate not an accident.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Temting to try this, sold my trektop after getting factory halfs cuz the tinted rear and front un tinted drove me crazy, wasnt sure if there was a way to tint the stock windows at all.

dannymalkin

For comparison, I got the bestop replacement tinted windows for around $230 shipped. I love them so far, but the windows I had were shot. I hadn't seen an option that worked well yo tint the factory windows, this is the first that looks to have worked decent that I've seen

Jeeplife101

For comparison, I got the bestop replacement tinted windows for around $230 shipped. I love them so far, but the windows I had were shot. I hadn't seen an option that worked well yo tint the factory windows, this is the first that looks to have worked decent that I've seen

Thanks man, and yeah I know much cheaper alternative for now.

Jeeplife101

Temting to try this, sold my trektop after getting factory halfs cuz the tinted rear and front un tinted drove me crazy, wasnt sure if there was a way to tint the stock windows at all.

If you do just make sure you clean it well so there is no dust,dirt, hair, or any other foreign material on the soft top window before you set the tint on it or it will show as a little air bubble that won't come out. Good thing about the peel and cling kind of tint tho is you can just peel it back remove the debris and re spray and seal back. Also the windows down on the highway has no affect what so ever on the newly tinted windows. And neither does rolling the back window up.

hogtyed

Looks great :thumb: I was wondering if I could tint the soft top windows, now I know. Definitely gonna try it.

Brankz

Looks good but with the time they will bubble up and peel off because the soft top it's not a solid surface and with the sun and wind moving the soft top material windows will cause the glue to come off

For now looks awesome tho👍🏼

Jeeplife101

Looks good but with the time they will bubble up and peel off because the soft top it's not a solid surface and with the sun and wind moving the soft top material windows will cause the glue to come off

For now looks awesome tho👍🏼

Thank you and that was my though too, but the kind I used is peel and cling, super easy no glue. No doubt it's not perfect and will not last forever but when they mess up I could re do them 10 times before it cost me what the tinted replacement ones cost. Just a cheap alternative for now you know.

Top Bottom