Build planning questions.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
To start a build on the TJ X 6 speed manual I have, and on a small budget to start with, where should I start, after recovery and safety upgrades? I want to get my hands dirty on as many of these projects as I can.

Here is my intent for the rig. Generally, I'm shooting for American made products that will stand up to harder punishment than I'll throw at them.
33"-35" tires on bead lock wheels
A strong and safe steering system
A suspension system that can take a beating
A safe lift to body and suspension
Dynatrac Pro Rock 44s front and back, ARB air lockers, 4.88 gearing
The ability to do MOAB reasonably well, even though the TJ wheel base is short, but also able to take on East Coast conditions of rain, mud, snow, river crossings, rock crawling, etc.
Still maintaining daily driver status

Is my best bet on suspension and steering first? Or axle upgrades? And of course, I realize that lifts mean changing out drive shafts. I'm thinking tires and wheels can come later.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I moved your thread to the TJ/YJ tech section.

What rear axle do you have? Are you sure that you only want 35s?

And Dynatrac does not make a PR44 rear. They offer their trail series for the TJ.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I moved your thread to the TJ/YJ tech section.

What rear axle do you have? Are you sure that you only want 35s?

And Dynatrac does not make a PR44 rear. They offer their trail series for the TJ.
Anything larger than 35's would be excessive, I'm thinking.

Thanks for the correction on the pr44.

I believe I have a D35 rear. The X is completely stock, as near as I can tell.

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
This is why I come to the forum... Mr Ty has already helped by getting me to look at what is actually offered.

living in Pennsylvania, to pass the state vehicle inspection standards, wheels can't be past the wheel flares of the vehicle. There would of course be the option of buying a wider flare to accommodate larger tires and spacers on the wheels to a certain degree. But, I don't want to make the stance too far out. I'm thinking (please correct me if I'm wrong) of keeping front and rear axles close to stock in width.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
This might be my answer, though I'm leery of electric lockers.

http://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/jeep-tj-wrangler/mopar-jeep-tj-axle-assemblies.html

The nice part is the stock suspension and steering is compatible. That allows me to get the axles out of the way until I have the $$ for lift, suspension, steering and driveshafts.

Thanks Mr. Ty!

Edit: should I opt for this, or look at a PR60 rear, with a PR 44 front? The reason why I'm asking is because of the ARB air lockers on the Pro Rock, which as I understand it, is far more reliable than electrically controlled lockers.

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
The great thing about my build planning is that I still haven't shelled out any money yet.

I'm leaning more towards a Trail Series 60 semi float rear.

I'd love to go full bore with a 44/60 hybrid up front, but both axles together are going to cost $11-$12k.

I need to get a 2nd job...

holliewood61

You might want to check out the offerings from east coast gear supply. They will usually cut you a pretty good deal if you call and talk to them. When I put the dana 44's under my cj they hooked me up with 2 sets of yukon 4.88's, 2 install kits, and 2 aussie lockers for under a grand.

To run 35's a ford 8.8 rear and a waggy 44 front would more than suffice, and could be thrown together on a budget

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
You might want to check out the offerings from east coast gear supply. They will usually cut you a pretty good deal if you call and talk to them. When I put the dana 44's under my cj they hooked me up with 2 sets of yukon 4.88's, 2 install kits, and 2 aussie lockers for under a grand.

To run 35's a ford 8.8 rear and a waggy 44 front would more than suffice, and could be thrown together on a budget
Thanks. I'll look into it, to see if it can take trail punishment and still work.

holliewood61

Ive set up several for tj's, the 8.8 is arguably stronger than a 44 if you use a c-clip eliminator. They would keep you close to factory width. The waggy 44 would give you lock out hubs up front and the 8.8 could give you disc brakes in the rear if you keep your eyes open for a disc brake unit. Im not sure what gear ratio you're eyeballing but some could be had with 4.10's.

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Ive set up several for tj's, the 8.8 is arguably stronger than a 44 if you use a c-clip eliminator. They would keep you close to factory width. The waggy 44 would give you lock out hubs up front and the 8.8 could give you disc brakes in the rear if you keep your eyes open for a disc brake unit. Im not sure what gear ratio you're eyeballing but some could be had with 4.10's.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

MarkW13

I put an 8.8 under my yj. Great rearend. I was able to score one with a limited slip carrier 3.73 ratio with disc brakes for under $200. I bought most of my conversion parts from m.o.r.e., but others sell the stuff also. I didn't even worry about that rearend with 35's.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If your only going with 33s or 35s the front Dana 30 can be built to stand up to that.

However, anything from Dynatrac would be a better upgrade. 👍

If you reach out to tdijet on here I believe he has an 8.8 for sale. I believe he has 4.56 and an arb in it but don't quote me on that. :thumb:

David1tontj

Another option that would be super easy would be to look for factory Tj rubicon axles. They are certainly cheaper than dynatracs, and they would bolt right on with no modification needed. They can be hard to find, but they will hold up to 35s easy.

The 8.8 is also a very solid axle. You would not regret that route, and they are a dime a dozen.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Thanks so much to all.

Now I have to figure out where to spend the extra coin when needed, and where I can save a little money to get a build off the ground.

Top Bottom