MY First Time Offroad

bladeolson

I live in Bay Area near San Francisco. (Mid-Peninsula ) I was hoping to connect with some other people in the Area.

- any ideas for an easy first time off-road with my new Jeep Rubicon? ( stock right now )
- I'm thinking I'd like to at least ride on some dirt roads to start.
- anyone want to show me the ropes a bit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Blade

If you don't mind a bit of driving (3 hours or so) the high lakes are a great place to go. Maybe we can even get Rccrwlr out there :yup: it's super easy but with some wheeling in there too. Let me know if you're interested.

I live in Bay Area near San Francisco. (Mid-Peninsula ) I was hoping to connect with some other people in the Area.

- any ideas for an easy first time off-road with my new Jeep Rubicon? ( stock right now )
- I'm thinking I'd like to at least ride on some dirt roads to start.
- anyone want to show me the ropes a bit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Blade

Im leaving soon but there is always cow mountain ohv area outside ukiah. and prairie city ohv park in folsom

TheStick

The OHV parks are a good place to start and test things out. For some really mellow fire road stuff there are a lot of them outside of Placerville. I really like the Gold Lake area for a lot of trails that are mostly in the mild to moderate range. All easily doable in a stock Rubicon.

07JKSahara

How did I miss this?? Yeah, let's go. Hollister and High lakes will be perfect. As mild as you want, or I've seen plenty of flops at Hollister. Post up some dates when you can go and we will try to be there and RC can back out 😉😀😉

07JKSahara

Count me in for a Hollister or High Lakes run! :thumbup:

Alright, I'll plan a Hollister run. Can anyone swing a weekday trip? I know some of us have mentioned unused PTO and some can do a Friday trip. Ideas welcomed.

Blade, sorry about the thread hijack, I'll start a proper thread when we have some specifics.

Toddzilla

Hollister is a great place to get your feet wet. trails are color coded for difficulty and they give you a map of the trails.. if you get turned around just take the short cut through Tank Trap.

bladeolson

Awesome! Thanks for all the awesome ideas! Im open to a weekday trip too. Fridays are good for me too. I basically only know what I've seen in videos and forums so I am eager to learn.

Hollister seems pretty ideal.

Last edited:

bladeolson

If you don't mind a bit of driving (3 hours or so) the high lakes are a great place to go. Maybe we can even get Rccrwlr out there :yup: it's super easy but with some wheeling in there too. Let me know if you're interested.

High lakes sounds cool too. I'd be up for a drive to get there. It's half the fun!

Rccrwlr

We can prep at the Chico mall prior to the trip. I hear they have some speed bumps we can test the flex on.

bladeolson

We can prep at the Chico mall prior to the trip. I hear they have some speed bumps we can test the flex on.

Awesome. Anything I should be preparing to get? Like any essentials? The only thing I've done to the Jeep is add a cell phone booster. I was thinking to get a cb.

Rccrwlr

Awesome. Anything I should be preparing to get? Like any essentials? The only thing I've done to the Jeep is add a cell phone booster. I was thinking to get a cb.

I will let the more qualified wheelers from above respond to the needs and wants. For me a CB was nice just so you can hear all of the heckling going on. Cell phone don't work up at the high lakes.

It really is a fun time up there and with Crip as a guide you will feel like you have been wheeling all your life. He makes it easy!

K.D.C.H

For sure grab yourself a CB that way when you come out on a run with us pull have a way to communicate with everyone, I'd also look into picking up a set of C gussets. Other than that of leave it as it is until you know what direction is want to go in. Your Jeep as is, is pretty capable. We can hit up some OHV parks, have some fun and then you'll have a chance to check out everyone's rigs and see some of the stuff in person.

07JKSahara

If you don't have it, start looking around for a quality recovery set. You can but the parts separate or get a package. You'll want a tow strap at least 15k pounds, a couple shackles, and some quality gloves. We will all likely have it too, but it's nice piece of mind to know everyone can recover. CB is safe, and fun. If you haven't guessed we all talk quite a bit ;). Other than that we'll have air for you to air up, and you should be good.

Does June 12th work for everyone? It's a Friday.

bladeolson

Sounds Awesome

If you don't have it, start looking around for a quality recovery set. You can but the parts separate or get a package. You'll want a tow strap at least 15k pounds, a couple shackles, and some quality gloves. We will all likely have it too, but it's nice piece of mind to know everyone can recover. CB is safe, and fun. If you haven't guessed we all talk quite a bit ;). Other than that we'll have air for you to air up, and you should be good.

Does June 12th work for everyone? It's a Friday.

June 12th works for me!

I will look into getting some of this stuff before....

- CB Radio / Antennae : I'd prefer something simple that is easy to install
- recovery set ( recommendations ?)
- C gussets ( no idea what those are , need to look into )

bladeolson

It looks like 07JKSahara can't make it this time. Does anyone else still want to go to Hollister on 6/12 or so? I have been itching to get out and drive! I got a cb and recovery kit now too!

Top Bottom