YJ shut off while driving.

awdel87

I was driving my YJ yesterday when suddenly shut off in the middle of the traffic, I turned on again and 2 minutes later it shuts off again, turned on again and drove it for 15 minutes when it did again, and later when I was park. And twice while driving again.
What could it be?

MarkW13

I was driving my YJ yesterday when suddenly shut off in the middle of the traffic, I turned on again and 2 minutes later it shuts off again, turned on again and drove it for 15 minutes when it did again, and later when I was park. And twice while driving again.
What could it be?

Fuel pump, fuel filter, crankshaft position sensor

MC2003TJ

Sounds like an electrical issue. Start at the battery terminal and check/clean them. Make sure they are tight and follow the positive lead to the main terminal on the fuse box. Check all connection and fuses in the fuse box. This is where the fuel pump and computer get its power from once the ignition switch is turned on. A bad ignition switch could also be your problem. Do you lose all instrument lights/power when it shuts off? Will the starter turn over but the engine won't start? Any loss of power prior to it shutting off?

socalrubi

I'm experiencing sorta the same problem. It's when I shut it off it and go to start it again I have no power inside and the engine won't even crank. I think it might be the PCM just because I shook some of the wires and then I heard the fuel pump prime and everything came back on. Does it loose power when it dies or bog down? Or does it just shut off?

MarkW13

I get light and stuff

My yj had a short in the tilt wheel. If it was raised all the way up you couldn't start the thing. Those computers are also known to have problems. Disconnect the battery, unplug the computer and plug it back in. That might help.

steveoTJ

Crankshaft position sensor

Check your crankshaft position sensor. My TJ was doing that. I was getting a code from the computer stating bad crankshaft position sensor.

Top Bottom