what kind of truck do jeep guys prefer

wanderer

Ok here is a question for all jeep guys, you have your jeep but of you were to buy a truck what would it be and why? would you pick smiting that can be significantly modified like a jeep or something way different?
what truck would you use for overlanding if you did not use your jeep?

I ask because I think about buying a truck but I could never get rid of my jeep unless I bought a new one!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I hope you don't mind, I moved this thread out of the "tech" section and to the "living the life".

Moabbnd

2 different categories:

1: If I were to get rid of the LJ and not buy another Jeep, I'd get a 4 door tacoma TRD offroad with the rear locker. I've always been fond of toyota trucks and I know Tacomas are built well. Lots of aftermarket support. The room that the 4 door provides would be useful but also having a bed in the back to haul gear would be beneficial to long distance treks.

2: Towing. If I were to keep the LJ, I'd buy a trailer and either look into a new Ram 2500 Diesel or a F250 diesel. Both are extremely nice on the inside and I like the styling of both rigs. They both have enough clearance in stock form to not hit anything on easier trails

BTW, I see you're from Encinitas. Grew up there, great little town!

Grubbicon

An old 80s Toyota. I love mine all though I use it more of a daily driver and dirt road rider then anything.

BlackHawk08jk

I owned an 02 dodge cummins. Sold that and bought my jeep. Although I don't regret it, I would love to have another cummins. I would go newer this time though. Just for a better nicer truck, and the common rail is the best cummins engine. (Not that I wouldn't like a 12valve)

big dr

3500 diesel 4x4, Chevy or dodge (although I have the Chevy version) Capable of towing heavy trailers, and launching boats on crappy ramps, and going to traction challenged areas like sand dunes or desert washes while towing.

Steamboat

I used to have a 97 Ram Sport, if I got another truck it would probably be either one of those or a Toyota.
Or an old Jeep truck!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Tow rig,

94-98 12V Cummins Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 SRW

Or

94-03 F250 or F350 SRW 7.3L Powerstroke

Play truck,

Jeep gladiator
Jeep FC
Jeep Commanche

KICKROX

My wife and I had the same dilemma.. I owned a Suburban and loved the fact that I could tow and I my wife had an FJ Cruiser which was off-road capable but not something I would drive or put money into since I've always been a Jeep guy. Both vehicles were getting old and I started putting too much money into my suburban and I needed a pickup.. So, we comprised and got vehicles we would both drive. Hope to have these for a long time! I think we are both happy now... by the way, I drive the Jeep a lot more than she does even though it's technically hers. :thumb: By the way, it's my first Ford, always been a Chevy guy but I tried to get something that I would be happy cruising through the desert with at high speeds here in Nevada. and now I'm BROKE! haha

JK_Raptor.jpg

Spencer11496

After owning an 06 f150 with the 5.4 I loved it and it could tow a jeep all day. I towed a fully loaded 16ft cargo trailer with it a couple times.

However, I did trade the f150 in and get a 08 tundra with the the 5.7 and tow package, went meant 4.30 gears and that thing would tow the same trailer as the f150 about 100x better.

The f150 was nicer and smoother and great for daily driving getting 18-20mpg but the tundra could tow and was a LOT more fun but would only get about 13 mpg

My stepdad has a 12 f150 ecoboost and I'll be towing a 16ft cargo trailer with it in the next few weeks while moving. His truck is leveled with metric 33" BFG so I'm curious with how it'll do. I do know I can chirp the tires with it from a red light though.

asullivan920

That is a hard one to answer. All depends on what you want to use it for.

Tow rig: I love my 2012 Ram 2500 cummins. It tows my camper great and has a solid front axle. I think it rides well for a 2500 and Ram has really stepped their interior. Also AEV put out some nice mods for the new Rams

If it was just a daily driver used for camping or light towing I really liked my 2010 F-150 crew cab. Had lots of room in the cab, rode very well and had a nice ride height. I also like the Chevy 1500 for the same purpose but without any mods even the 4x4 ride to low for me. I do think the Chevy's have the best on road ride.

If I was going to be bombing the desert I think I would go with the Ford Raptor. I have never driven one but they seem to be setup well for it.

Finally, if I wanted a tow rig/and something to do a little more off road it would be a Ram power wagon 2500. Does not have a diesel option but you get a warn winch, front and rear lockers, and sway bar disconnect.

Top Bottom