Rock Sliders -- body or frame -- on a budget

TeamFaust

Okay so need to get off the dime and get a set of sliders, but budget still pretty tight...looking at a couple of options and trying to figure out pros/cons or types and then a few in particular. I have a JKU and do need some type of step to assist wife/kids getting in in and out of Jeep.

So here are questions:
1) How much protection difference between body mounted vs. frame mounted -- example Rockhard tube vs. LOD? --
(I picked these two because similar price point, others?)
2) Any other differences to consider between the two types?
3) Rocker skins why/why not in addition to sliders?
3) Any other options/types/styles to consider?
4) Yes would love to go full tilt high end (really like the PS or CC skins and sliders), but that is not in the budget right now (need a rear bumper/tire carrier as well so budget is getting hammered), so if looking for real protection but budget limitation what suggestions/recommendations for a solid set of sliders with a step?

Right now I just need to get something that is functional so I can wheel with my buddies and not worry about sheet metal damage. Appreciate any input you all might have given experience with various options.

BlackHawk08jk

Well body mount means if you actually use them that you body is going to take all the stress. The body is thin and takes nothing at all to smash in. But if you mount to your frame, it's a fully box frame so it will not have the give of the body. I would definitely suggest frame mount. Someone may get on here and say frame mounted ones can twist the frame, but if you twist a jk frame with sliders you probably got hit by a car.

utiadam

LOSER
Don't skimp on sliders. Get the Evo ones. Even if it means going without a rear bumper and tire carrier for a while. It costs more in the long run to keep upgrading or to buy cheap. The rock skins would probably be a personal preference.

Rebel JK

Someone may get on here and say frame mounted ones can twist the frame, but if you twist a jk frame with sliders you probably got hit by a car.

This is another reason why I would also lean towards frame mounted, for the extra side impact strength outboard of the actual frame/body.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While I had always been a BIG fan of body mounted rocker guards for the TJ back in the day and had even considered them for my JK back when I first got it about 8 years ago now, time and experience has shown me that they aren't the best option. At least, based on what I have seen. Fact of the matter is, the JK is no TJ and the sheet metal is just way too thin to be really effective or without allowing for some buckling to the sheet metal. Certainly, I don't know how comfortable I would be to use it as a winch point to recover a fallen Jeep.

Frame mounted rocker guards like the ones you have pointed out have proven themselves to be strong and dependable. Because the body mounts on a JK are true body mounts in that they are isolators that allow for a lot of movement, the addition of skins are a nice addition in the event you hit hard enough for the rails to make contact with the rockers. Do NOT confuse this with the rails "bending" as that is NOT what is happening. There are some rocker guards like the PSC's that I have seen bend and you know it because you are no longer able to open the doors on that side - I HAVE SEEN THIS happen.

TeamFaust

...Because the body mounts on a JK are true body mounts in that they are isolators that allow for a lot of movement, the addition of skins are a nice addition in the event you hit hard enough for the rails to make contact with the rockers...

Appreciate this point as hadn't really thought about the body moving on the isolators and making contact the slider rails.

MarkW13

I have LOD sliders. They are really strong and relatively easy to install. I only have one complaint. They tend to trap mud inside the step area, but that's the price you pay to have a step. The evo sliders are really strong also. As stated above, don't skimp in this area.

BlackHawk08jk

Don't skimp on sliders. Get the Evo ones. Even if it means going without a rear bumper and tire carrier for a while. It costs more in the long run to keep upgrading or to buy cheap. The rock skins would probably be a personal preference.

The EVO slider are the way to go for sure.

ttfhell

The Northridge jeep on JKX had the poison spyder sliders. Bent them which caused a gap in their freedom top. They are now putting on Evo sliders....

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have LOD sliders. They are really strong and relatively easy to install. I only have one complaint. They tend to trap mud inside the step area, but that's the price you pay to have a step. The evo sliders are really strong also. As stated above, don't skimp in this area.

Fair point but can't you just remove the inserts, clean it out, then re-install the inserts? :thinking:

Jackal01

Isn't there a JK here that had EVO sliders angled out to provide a step? If that is possible I want to do that.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Not sure if you've seen this but I have the EVO sliders with a custom angle. Wife and kids use this as a step and it works great. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431547178.882580.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431547207.792487.jpg

Jackal01

Not sure if you've seen this but I have the EVO sliders with a custom angle. Wife and kids use this as a step and it works great.

Boom. That's it. Are there any cons to getting them that way? I wouldn't think so since other sliders are actually flat but just wondering.

JAGS

Hooked
^^^
I have the same custom angle on my jeep. Kids use them everyday. So do I actually as I'm not the world tallest man and it makes it easy to get in and out.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431547638.722770.jpg

No cons that I can think of. Not a super hard core wheeler by any means, but they've done great with what I've thrown at them so far.

Top Bottom