Who hates 4X4 in utah

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thats a lot of random companies. Some of which I have/used to have there products. (North face, Jetboil, Camelback)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before everyone jumps on me for blasphemy, I just gotta ask, have any of you actually read this letter? Because, if you did, you'd know it's not as clear cut as some of the screaming talking heads are making it out to be. In the last paragraph, the one people seem to be upset about, it clearly states the following:

Federal land use plans inappropriately open scenic and undeveloped land to drilling and mining and fail to address exploding off-road vehicle use that is damaging riparian areas, cultural sites, soils and solitude.

Now, I've bolded and underlined the word "open" because that means the scenic and undeveloped land in question has been and continues to remain "closed", as in, currently off limits to off-road vehicles now.

If there is something to be upset about, it's the fact that 40,000 miles of dirt routes and trails could be paved, lands privatized and developed if what the state of Utah is demanding is approved:

Now, the state of Utah is demanding that the federal government turn over 30 million acres of federal land for potential development and/or privatization and is asserting the right to expand and pave 40,000 miles of dirt routes and trails that crisscross Utah’s federally-owned wildlands. Both actions would result in the despoiling of Greater Canyonlands.

But hey, that's just the way I'm reading it and, unless or until someone can explain to me what I'm missing, I think I'll leave the pitchfork at home and refrain from joining the ranks of the angry mob.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I read it quickly (mainly because Burton Snowboards was listed) and did not see the need for the call to arms. However, I admit it read it fast and reserve the right to change my mind after hearing from those that are closer to the issue.

MTG

Caught the Bug
i didn't want to start a mob, but i tough that's something u guys should know about

I'm glad you posted it. :thumb: It's definitely something I'll look into more. I think WOL just wanted to fend off a long thread of uneccessary panic.

07rub

I'm glad you posted it. :thumb: It's definitely something I'll look into more. I think WOL just wanted to fend off a long thread of uneccessary panic.

i understand, but i will think twice b4 supporting a company that doesn't even want to support us

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Exactly :thumb:

i understand, but i will think twice b4 supporting a company that doesn't even want to support us

But, in exactly what way are these companies acting against us? Exactly what trails are at risk of being closed? As mentioned, the letter in question specifically speaks in regards to OPENING scenic and undeveloped land, NOT closing them. Please know that I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just don't know what all the vitriolic rhetoric is really all about. If I'm wrong about this, all I would ask is for someone to explain it to me with facts.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just read the letter (I just looked at the companies the first time) and I agree that it isn't against the offroad community. I guess I can understand where one could think that but placing blame and jumping at them wouldn't help anything.

We also turn to you for action because unfortunately, Greater Canyonlands is endangered. Federal land use
plans inappropriately open scenic and undeveloped land to drilling and mining and fail to address exploding
off-road vehicle use that is damaging riparian areas, cultural sites, soils and solitude. Now, the state of Utah is
demanding that the federal government turn over 30 million acres of federal land for potential development
and/or privatization and is asserting the right to expand and pave 40,000 miles of dirt routes and trails that criss-
cross Utah’s federally-owned wildlands. Both actions would result in the despoiling of Greater Canyonlands.

That is saying they don't want it paved not that they want it paved. This is for us not against.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I definitely think this is a good piece of info that we should all be aware of.

I did not get the feeling that this is in anyway against off-roaders. It sounds like a valid plea to the Gov. to preserve that area of Utah. Those manufacturers and vendors make alot of money from everyone's outdoor activities in that area and they don't want anything to screw that up for them.

I wonder if there is anything we can do to help? How many other recreational areas in the US are threatened by Gov/Industry intrusion? :thinking:

Plus maybe they know one day Eddie, Cindy, and the Project-JK team is going to head out there and make some really sweet films! :thumb: :rock:

Miramontes

I'm not familiar with the land they are trying to protect. But I do agree we should protect lands for there natural beauty. Part of me having a Jeep is to enjoy nature. I dislike it very much when I'm out on a trail and some take the liberty of making a mess. Not cleaning up after themselves.

Metalmasher

I believe the concern is mostly within the mining and oil and gas industry, I am in the oil and gas industry and feel like an area like canyon lands should be protected! But having said that there comes a time when the federal government needs to back off of the we the people and lets us use our land!

Top Bottom