Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balling on a Budget Build

Fresh Catch

Balling on a Budget Build

Hey everyone! I'm from Fayetteville, Arkansas, I recently purchased a 2013 JKU Freedom Edition (black) and have been saving up ever since to start building towards my dream. I'm a senior graduating this year with a minimum wage job so my build will go fairly slow.

I've recently decided to go with a Barricade front bumper with built-in LEDs (to unpopular decision) and have been searching long and hard for great deals on the wheels and tires. I decided to go with 18x12 Fuel Hostages and 35" tires. That being said, I don't know if I should go with a budget lift-kit or buy a 3-4" lift kit. I live in a college town with no off-road trails so having an expensive lift kit isn't going to help me. I understand the better the lift the better the ride is but I'm trying to squeak by with spending less than 3,500.

The question I have are:
    1) Should I go with a budget lift since I won't being doing serious off-roading, and if not then which lift is the best for around 500?
    2) Will 12 wides fit with the 3" - 4" lift without running into problems?
    3) What are the bets tires for the buck? I was think Trail Grapps, BFG MTs, or Terra Grapps

Thanks for your help! I will be ordering the bumper today and going to post everything I have done so far!

If you're trying to save money don't buy 18's. Tires are a bit more expensive for 18's compared to 17's.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    If you're trying to save money don't buy 18's. Tires are a bit more expensive for 18's compared to 17's.
    That is very true. I was at first just going to go with 17s and 33s but a guy at one meet had 18x12 on 35s and it looked really, really good

Been Around the Block Dune Crawler's Avatar
    You could always run factory rims with 35's and upgrade later down the road

-
    Welcome to WAL. they are right, id recommend goin with 17s, unless you just like spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune Crawler View Post
    You could always run factory rims with 35's and upgrade later down the road
    Yup this is what I'm doing. Will be upgrading to ATX's in a couple months. Been on the stocks for the past year.

I know 15 inch rims aren't the most popular option but tires are way cheaper. So that's something to look at.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkjosh14 View Post
    I know 15 inch rims aren't the most popular option but tires are way cheaper. So that's something to look at.
    Ya 15's are cheap and 35's with them are very cheap but then you run the issue of brake caliper clearance with the 15's, I think you have to file a bit of the brake caliper for them to fit properly but that might be just steel rims and not alloys.

Hooked
    18x12? Why such a wide rim? I thought you wanted to be in the 8-9" width for a 12.5" tire.

On a side note: I love Fuel wheels, but they are super expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ParktheJeep View Post
    Ya 15's are cheap and 35's with them are very cheap but then you run the issue of brake caliper clearance with the 15's, I think you have to file a bit of the brake caliper for them to fit properly but that might be just steel rims and not alloys.
    I have alloy 15s on mine and had no clearance issues and didnt file anything down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast