Balling on a Budget Build

iRazorback

Hey everyone! I'm from Fayetteville, Arkansas, I recently purchased a 2013 JKU Freedom Edition (black) and have been saving up ever since to start building towards my dream. I'm a senior graduating this year with a minimum wage job so my build will go fairly slow.

I've recently decided to go with a Barricade front bumper with built-in LEDs (to unpopular decision) and have been searching long and hard for great deals on the wheels and tires. I decided to go with 18x12 Fuel Hostages and 35" tires. That being said, I don't know if I should go with a budget lift-kit or buy a 3-4" lift kit. I live in a college town with no off-road trails so having an expensive lift kit isn't going to help me. I understand the better the lift the better the ride is but I'm trying to squeak by with spending less than 3,500.

The question I have are:
1) Should I go with a budget lift since I won't being doing serious off-roading, and if not then which lift is the best for around 500?
2) Will 12 wides fit with the 3" - 4" lift without running into problems?
3) What are the bets tires for the buck? I was think Trail Grapps, BFG MTs, or Terra Grapps

Thanks for your help! I will be ordering the bumper today and going to post everything I have done so far!;)

iRazorback

If you're trying to save money don't buy 18's. Tires are a bit more expensive for 18's compared to 17's.

That is very true. I was at first just going to go with 17s and 33s but a guy at one meet had 18x12 on 35s and it looked really, really good :crazyeyes:

Jkjosh14

I know 15 inch rims aren't the most popular option but tires are way cheaper. So that's something to look at.

ParktheJeep

I know 15 inch rims aren't the most popular option but tires are way cheaper. So that's something to look at.
Ya 15's are cheap and 35's with them are very cheap but then you run the issue of brake caliper clearance with the 15's, I think you have to file a bit of the brake caliper for them to fit properly but that might be just steel rims and not alloys.

Dubzy

18x12? Why such a wide rim? I thought you wanted to be in the 8-9" width for a 12.5" tire.

On a side note: I love Fuel wheels, but they are super expensive.

JK2DR

Ya 15's are cheap and 35's with them are very cheap but then you run the issue of brake caliper clearance with the 15's, I think you have to file a bit of the brake caliper for them to fit properly but that might be just steel rims and not alloys.

I have alloy 15s on mine and had no clearance issues and didnt file anything down

relayer4u

Hey everyone! I'm from Fayetteville, Arkansas, I recently purchased a 2013 JKU Freedom Edition (black) and have been saving up ever since to start building towards my dream. I'm a senior graduating this year with a minimum wage job so my build will go fairly slow.

I've recently decided to go with a Barricade front bumper with built-in LEDs (to unpopular decision) and have been searching long and hard for great deals on the wheels and tires. I decided to go with 18x12 Fuel Hostages and 35" tires. That being said, I don't know if I should go with a budget lift-kit or buy a 3-4" lift kit. I live in a college town with no off-road trails so having an expensive lift kit isn't going to help me. I understand the better the lift the better the ride is but I'm trying to squeak by with spending less than 3,500.

The question I have are:
1) Should I go with a budget lift since I won't being doing serious off-roading, and if not then which lift is the best for around 500?
2) Will 12 wides fit with the 3" - 4" lift without running into problems?
3) What are the bets tires for the buck? I was think Trail Grapps, BFG MTs, or Terra Grapps

Thanks for your help! I will be ordering the bumper today and going to post everything I have done so far!;)

You really don't want to run 12 inch wide wheels if you plan on doing any wheeling. With a budget build you should stick with 8 or 9 inch wide wheels running 12.5 or 13.5 wide tires.

Post up some pictures as you make progress!

:beer:

iRazorback

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432168927.539347.jpg this is day one when I first got it!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432168974.508449.jpg quick pic I shot that night, was immediately in love

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432169021.131161.jpg I plasti dipped all 5 wheels that weekend. I'm a huge anti-chrome fan

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432169109.305634.jpg photo I took while in Oklahoma visiting my dad. I really like the reflection of the clouds in the black, looks really nice!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432169169.181339.jpg the silver was next to go away on the grill, add a WOL windshield decal, 2 WOL cowl stickers, and a antennaX stubby antenna. Doing the small things can change the looks of a JK really fast!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432169414.917089.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432169427.106370.jpg little before and after

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432169451.798725.jpg wheels of choice that will be on hopefully within the next month! Will be sitting on a 4inch rough country lift too!

My new bumper just came in the mail so I hope to have that installed when family isn't in town! Stay tuned!! :celebrate:

Last edited:
Top Bottom