Which EVO corners, steel or aluminum?

bkac

Caught the Bug
I'm getting ready to order EVO corners and a tire carrier Monday, my first question is should I get the corners in steel or aluminum? I'm wondering if the aluminum ones will be easier to install/get tighter against the body vs the steel.

Next question, can you powdercoat aluminum and does it hold up as well as it does on steel?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be willing to bet that the aluminum will be easier to install and of course, will be lighter as well. I personally wouldn't bother powder coating them.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I'd be willing to bet that the aluminum will be easier to install and of course, will be lighter as well. I personally wouldn't bother powder coating them.

You think I can get paint to hold up on the aluminum? Haven't really ever tried to paint it before. I'm with you on a easier install! Maybe I'll just keep them bare aluminum.

mackey

I'm going aluminum on my rockskins and rear corner skins. Rust is a constant issue where I live. Steel will help protect a lot better against a major impact versus the aluminum. If I lived in So Cal and had a V8, I probably go steel.

linehand08

I ran into the same debate with myself and ended up going with steel and had them powder coated. I think the tiny bit of strength was worth the weight aluminum gets trashed fast when it come to scratches. but if aluminum is the choice you can acid wash it and it will look white/ bright aluminum without the polished look.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I can't go into details at the moment, but having real life tested out my rear corners (off the trail) I would go with steel. :yup:

mackey

You think I can get paint to hold up on the aluminum? Haven't really ever tried to paint it before. I'm with you on a easier install! Maybe I'll just keep them bare aluminum.

I spray painted my aluminum rear fascia. It came out great and has held up. If it gets scratched, just hit it again with more spray paint.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I ran into the same debate with myself and ended up going with steel and had them powder coated. I think the tiny bit of strength was worth the weight aluminum gets trashed fast when it come to scratches. but if aluminum is the choice you can acid wash it and it will look white/ bright aluminum without the polished look.

Yeah, I powdercoated my steel skins white and kinda wanted to paint or powdercoat my corners white also. My problem is I'm gonna wheel this rig a lot and damage is likely. I'm just going to spray my carrier black.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I got them in aluminium and had them powdercoated matte black. Its only been about a month since I've had them on so i dont know about long term durability but looks nice though. I also asked to have a bead of silicone around the inside edge.

BYW excuse the dirty jeep. Its pollen season and its a uphill battle....

1431788613416.jpg

1431788639543.jpg

1431788651978.jpg

1431788668100.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
I got them in aluminium and had them powdercoated matte black. Its only been about a month since I've had them on so i dont know about long term durability but looks nice though. I also asked to have a bead of silicone around the inside edge.

How was the install? Where they easy to get tight?

BTW looks great!

trailless

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately I didn't do the install. I gave up my garage to move into the city...

I heard it was a straight forward install. Same as the steel ones, it was just a bit easier since it was lighter and slightly more flexible.

Its also easier to have someone else drill a bunch of holes in the Jeep. :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackHawk08jk

Where I work we powder coat aluminum all the time. That being said its not necessary to paint aluminum.

SierraSilver

So I just got in the Evo aluminum rock skins. I have been debating coating with a clear to slow them from tarnishing. Is that even an issue with non polished aluminum, or just a matter of preference?

utiadam

LOSER
So I just got in the Evo aluminum rock skins. I have been debating coating with a clear to slow them from tarnishing. Is that even an issue with non polished aluminum, or just a matter of preference?

They don't tarnish or oxidize that quick. Ive had mine bare for about 8 months and my light bar brackets have been bare for almost a year.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431868909.942292.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431868972.976263.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431869209.245252.jpg
As far as the weight difference I think the steel is 30lbs and the aluminum are around 12lbs.

Top Bottom