Any doctors out there?

Spencer11496

Hey all! Just graduated high school and I'm thinking of going "pre med" and eventually becoming a doctor. Any suggestions? Experiences? Thanks!

USMCvet

Banned
My brother is an ER Doc. I helped him through his undergrad, Med school, residency, and got him his internship at the Cleveland Clinic because a friend of mine is the director at the Clinic. Up front, my brother held a 3.97 GPA at Penn State in pre-Med. Then graduated second in his class at PCOM. It's a tough undertaking.

HeadShrinkerMD

I'm a psychiatrist.
Premed was both fun and hard. Had a 3.90 gpa when I was accepted to medical school.

The key is simply to ace all of your undergrad classes and you'll get accepted somewhere without issue. Pulling up a gpa because of a bad freshman year will be difficult and it eliminated a lot of my friends from ever getting the chance to go to medical school.

Good luck.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Doctor of jurisprudence. Does that count?

Started out premed many moons ago. In some ways I wish I would have stuck with it. Study hard, live cheaply and enjoy every minute of school. Good luck!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I have my CPR/ First Aid Cert, and Combat First Aid. :idontknow:

Hope you stick with it. That is one heck of an undertaking. Good luck.

David1tontj

I'm a psychiatrist.
Premed was both fun and hard. Had a 3.90 gpa when I was accepted to medical school.

The key is simply to ace all of your undergrad classes and you'll get accepted somewhere without issue. Pulling up a gpa because of a bad freshman year will be difficult and it eliminated a lot of my friends from ever getting the chance to go to medical school.

Good luck.

"He's not a doctor, he's a psychiatrist!"
-Tim Allen in the Santa Clause

Haha 😁

Spencer11496

Living in Georgia has its perks. My GPA was high enough and I took enough AP classes to get Zel Miller Hope scholarship so all of my tuition is paid for for my undergrad. Hopefully I'll be able to become a doctor so I can help people and make a difference in people's lives, and not to mention fund that terrible jeep addiction.

longarmwj

If you wanna be a doctor go for it!! We can always use more life savers! Also I noticed that you were from Georgia. You should come on the Uwharrie trip with some of us other east coasters

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Sister and brother in law are surgeons. Get yourself into a "big name" top tier university and ace your courses. Med school is highly competitive so you'll have to go into it with a level of dedication. Probably means missing out on some college parties and many of the fun aspects of college life. It'll pay off in the end but you need to go into it knowing that it's a long haul that is a process designed to weed out all but the brightest and most dedicated.

Napalm

I'm a Paramedic, so I like to think I am a doctor..... LoL. Jk.

My grandfather is a doctor. Long time in school but he said he'd never change a thing. Said it was very worth every bit of it.

ECHOE

Hey all! Just graduated high school and I'm thinking of going "pre med" and eventually becoming a doctor. Any suggestions? Experiences? Thanks!
If its what you want to do- definitely go for it. Despite what all the naysayers think- it is still a wonderful profession and nowadays you can define your work schedule and decide how much you want to put into it. Definitely get your premed classes done, but Med school admissions look for things that set you apart- they don't want just a one sided kid who knows his science. They are also looking for people persons, people who are driven and willing to take risks- adventurers. If you had decent grades in undergrad and also did a music major- you're in. If you also spent a summer building up your jeep and went on an overland adventure in northern Alaska you're in. Feel free to PM me- I'm a Family Doc in a small Northern MI town.

Top Bottom