What press and adapter set do you use?

Trail JK

I'm ordering new ball joints and was wondering what press and adapter set I should get for the install? I found a thread here that recommended KD Tools KDS3421 & KDS3479 but I find them available anywhere.
Thanks

noroad

I'm ordering new ball joints and was wondering what press and adapter set I should get for the install? I found a thread here that recommended KD Tools KDS3421 & KDS3479 but I find them available anywhere.
Thanks

do you have evo c gussets?

noroad

Do you even need a press? Or can the ball joint install be done with just a sledgehammer?

hahaha, i mean i have tapped some home a couple times but a real pita to do the bottom. i would use a press auto zone will give you one for free to use, but if you have evo c's i would pick up some of the steal spacers so you can make your own to get a good press on the top.

Trail JK

hahaha, i mean i have tapped some home a couple times but a real pita to do the bottom. i would use a press auto zone will give you one for free to use, but if you have evo c's i would pick up some of the steal spacers so you can make your own to get a good press on the top.

Thanks! I wasn't aware auto zone would lend one. That's cool.

I was just told we have a friend with a press we could use too. 😊

jeeeep

Hooked
OTC 7248 C Frame Press U-Joint, Brake Anchor Pin and Ball Joint Removing/Installing tool

OTC 7894 Ball Joint Service Adapter for Jeep/Dodge

worth the investment, made the job easy.

Tip - use some anti-seize on the threads of the press.

No need for a BFH

utiadam

LOSER
I used a harbor freight ball joint press to do the passenger side but the press bent and cracked on the driver side. I borrowed a MAC press from a coworker to finish up. I'm currently waiting on this awesome snap on kit to arrive. Not very practical for the DIYer at home but if you're in the automotive business it's worth the $700 😥. The cups all lock together so you don't have to balance them and it can do u joints.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431870727.664819.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can ring out the ball joints using a big hammer but a press that you can rent for free at Autozone is a lot easier and again, FREE. You just need to make sure you get the Chrysler adapter for it. If you rent the press, it should have it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Check rock auto.com also if you want to purchase. I got the press and the heavy duty add on kit for the same price as just the press kit through everybody else. And it was the exact same brand. They have decent deals on stuff.

Trail JK

So you don't fry up your new ones. Easier to weld with them out.

Very good! I hadn't thought about that so thanks for pointing it out. Makes perfect sense now. 👍

I used a harbor freight ball joint press to do the passenger side but the press bent and cracked on the driver side. I borrowed a MAC press from a coworker to finish up. I'm currently waiting on this awesome snap on kit to arrive. Not very practical for the DIYer at home but if you're in the automotive business it's worth the $700 😥. The cups all lock together so you don't have to balance them and it can do u joints.

I'm going to save that money to put towards a ram assist. But it makes sense that you're making the investment being a master mechanic. 😉

You can ring out the ball joints using a big hammer but a press that you can rent for free at Autozone is a lot easier and again, FREE. You just need to make sure you get the Chrysler adapter for it. If you rent the press, it should have it.

Perfect! I like free! Being that even a lower end press and adapter would be around $350 or more. 😊

Check rock auto.com also if you want to purchase. I got the press and the heavy duty add on kit for the same price as just the press kit through everybody else. And it was the exact same brand. They have decent deals on stuff.

I'm going the free route but good info here if someone wants to purchase. Thanks! 👍

TeamFaust

Helpful info guys. Mine are overdue for replacement so need to do this as well. Which recommendations on gussets and replacement ball joints?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Helpful info guys. Mine are overdue for replacement so need to do this as well. Which recommendations on gussets and replacement ball joints?

EVO on the gussets, dynatrack on the ball joints if you can afford them. Crown, if I remember right, is the same as Synergy but cheaper. I have the EVO gussets and Synergy ball joints awaiting to be installed. Been lazy I guess.

Top Bottom