Servicing with skid plates

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Has anyone ever got any guff for having after market skid plates installed if you need to service the transmission or oil pan?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone ever got any guff for having after market skid plates installed if you need to service the transmission or oil pan?

No, but I hate working on Jeeps with aftermarket skid plates on - some more so that others. It especially sucks when the engine is hot or worse, the bolts are thrashed too. If I were a dealership or shop, I would make you pull off your skids before bringing it in. That or I would charge for the time and labor needed to remove them for you. Of course, that's just me :)

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
No, but I hate working on Jeeps with aftermarket skid plates on - some more so that others. It especially sucks when the engine is hot or worse, the bolts are thrashed too. If I were a dealership or shop, I would make you pull off your skids before bringing it in. That or I would charge for the time and labor needed to remove them for you. Of course, that's just me :)

Yeah, that's my assumption, but I'm curious of some actual dealer experiences anyone else might have had.

Benny

I just had my transmission serviced and I asked them 2-3 times if they wanted me to take off my skidplate(rockhard). Each time they said no our guy could handle it. After getting it back, it actually looks like he used the skidplate as a funnel. They did clean up the mess but you can tell he tried to take a shortcut by leaving it in place initially. He eventually ended up taking it off though.

sassmouth

The last time I went to the dealer it was for manual transmission issues. I didn't want any grief from the dealer regarding them having to remove my Rockhard skids so I took them off prior to going. I know that I would have been charged a couple extra hours of labor for removal and installation of the skid.

Top Bottom