Upgrade Order ?

CBoston

Controversial question... But what does everyone recommend for the order to upgrade your JK.... Looking at for purchases this year....
CB Radio
Poison Spyder Stinger
Warn 8000 Winch
3.5 Inch Progressive Trail Rancho Lift
EVO Rock Sliders

What Order Do you all recommend ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Controversial question... But what does everyone recommend for the order to upgrade your JK.... Looking at for purchases this year....
CB Radio
Poison Spyder Stinger
Warn 8000 Winch
EVO Rock Sliders

I always say that tow points front and rear if you don't have them already and rocker guards are what every Jeep should have first. That being said:

1. EVO Rock Sliders (so you can get out and play)
2. CB Radio (so you can communicate with others)
3. 3.5 Inch Progressive Trail Rancho Lift (so you can run bigger tires and play harder)
4. Poison Spyder Stinger (if nothing else, you'll need something to mount your winch to)
5. Warn 8000 Winch (nice to have if you wheel alone)

Spudcannons

CB Radio
Poison Spyder Stinger
Warn 8000 Winch
EVO Rock Sliders

Sliders for sure and CB(was my first mod). I regret not putting mine on the second I got them now I'm putting on new rock skins :naw: I'm not a huge fan of the rancho stuff some of my club members/ local shops said to avoid it. I did beadlocks with my lift and tire and it makes a huge difference. I had less trouble with traction than some guys with lockers when climbing. It also depends on budget. For the winch and bumper, I'm waiting on the front bumper and getting a tire carrier first since a winch mount for the stock one is dirt cheap and I'm waiting on the winch since everyone I wheel with has one so covered pretty well :thumb: I would also say swaybar disco's if you dont have a rubi.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a huge fan of the rancho stuff some of my club members/ local shops said to avoid it.

LOL!! Of course, all this based on personal experience, right?

As far as "local shops" go, I have yet to see one that pushes anything other than what they are a vendor to sell (MOST do not have the sales to sell Rancho products), have in stock and can make the most profit on. But hey, that's just what I've seen.

Flat Top

Don't see in your profile if it's a manual or auto. If auto, you might want to add some belly protection for those tranny lines.

Spudcannons

LOL!! Of course, all this based on personal experience, right?

As far as "local shops" go, I have yet to see one that pushes anything other than what they are a vendor to sell (MOST do not have the sales to sell Rancho products), have in stock and can make the most profit on. But hey, that's just what I've seen.

LOL purely from the opinions and experience of others! One shop said they had a guy who had some issues with rust/ longevity and a club member had a break but hey who knows it was probably not Rancho's fault, maybe it was :idontknow: I just abide by better safe than sorry! The local shop is also a vendor of almost everything under the sun and does not stock lifts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't see in your profile if it's a manual or auto. If auto, you might want to add some belly protection for those tranny lines.

Sound advice if you have a 2012-up and with an auto. Something like the EVO protek skid is all you really need.

Spudcannons

+1

Love that Commando Green! What did you coat the beadlock ring with on those slabs? I've been looking into doing the same but am not sure what would hold up best.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL purely from the opinions and experience of others!

"Experience" from others who actually ran Rancho products on their JK's and NOT just what they claim to have seen? If so, let's see some pics.

One shop said they had a guy who had some issues with rust/ longevity and a club member had a break but hey who knows it was probably not Rancho's fault, maybe it was :idontknow:

LOL!! You live in the east coast, you mean to tell me that there are actually products out there that don't have issues with rust? Please do tell what they are! Also, what exactly constitutes an issue with "longevity" and what exactly broke on said club member's Jeep?

I just abide by better safe than sorry!

But what exactly are you trying to be safe from?

The local shop is also a vendor of almost everything under the sun and does not stock lifts.

And your shop would never try to SELL you one product over another by saying one has "issues" and another more expensive one does not. I mean, why would a shop ever try to push you one way or another? :idontknow:

USMC Wrangler

CB Radio
Poison Spyder Stinger
Warn 8000 Winch
EVO Rock Sliders

I'm new to this, so fwiw...I don't think the question is controversial at all. I have more time to read and ask questions than I do money to mod. My order so far has been...

1) CB
2) Rubi take off rails
3) Rubi take off springs and shocks
4) Tires

Next planned mod for trail performance is some protection (Protek) since mine is an Auto. I also plan on DIY'ing front and rear bumpers, but will do the rear first. The reason for the rear first is I want to build my front bumper around the winch in a way. I don't have a winch yet, but am currently saving up to get one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, thanks a lot. Amazed with every post how much your Forum helps out. Thanks Eddy !!

This weeks purchase shall be CB and Sliders !! Now to start a Build Thread... :cheers:

Can't wait to see the results! Please be sure to post up pics as your Jeep grows up :yup:

Spudcannons

"Experience" from others who actually ran Rancho products on their JK's and NOT just what they claim to have seen? If so, let's see some pics.

LOL!! You live in the east coast, you mean to tell me that there are actually products out there that don't have issues with rust? Please do tell what they are! Also, what exactly constitutes an issue with "longevity" and what exactly broke on said club member's Jeep?

But what exactly are you trying to be safe from?

And your shop would never try to SELL you one product over another by saying one has "issues" and another more expensive one does not. I mean, why would a shop ever try to push you one way or another? :idontknow:

It's just what some people said to me. If you really care I can ask and see if he has any pictures, he tore off the adjuster on his rear passenger shock. He also tweaked the long arm mount slipping off a rock and landing on a pointy rock but I think that is his fault(also looked superficial), but like you said I wasn't driving so I guess my opinion on that isn't valid. I believe they were talking about the joint wearing prematurely.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's just what some people said to me. If you really care I can ask and see if he has any pictures, he tore off the adjuster on his rear passenger shock. He also tweaked the long arm mount slipping off a rock and landing on a pointy rock but I think that is his fault(also looked superficial), but like you said I wasn't driving so I guess my opinion on that isn't valid. I believe they were talking about the joint wearing prematurely.

LOL!! Well, maybe it's just me but I'd hardly call an adjuster getting torn off of a shock an issue with a Rancho product and truth be told, I'm no fan of their long arm kit being that it uses a radius arm design. Of course, we're not talking about their long arm kit on this thread but rather, their 3.5" kit. As far as joints go, Rancho just uses standard polyurethane bushings and while I personally prefer Johnny Joints or Clevite bushings, I find it hard to imagine how their joints could wear out any faster than any other manufacturers joint using polyurethane as well.

So that it isn't missed, all I'm trying to do here is put things into perspective.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I did beadlocks with my lift and tire and it makes a huge difference. I had less trouble with traction than some guys with lockers when climbing.

I'm still trying to figure out how Beadlocks made you able to climb better then guys with lockers. What exactly do Beadlocks do to outperform a locker?

Spudcannons

I'm still trying to figure out how Beadlocks made you able to climb better then guys with lockers. What exactly do Beadlocks do to outperform a locker?

Well I made it up the first try and he had to make 3 tries. The trail guide watching said the lower tire pressure I was running allowed the tires to conform to the rocks and just crawl up with barely any skinny pedal. Could have been I just listened better to the spotter, he gassed hard and bounced then slid off.

Top Bottom