Tj question

NatedTJ

Okay so i have a 98 tj lifted with a 2.5 rough country

i was thinking of adding the 2" suspension lift to it what size tires do you think i can run

Is there any thing special i should do

will i lose flex?
:question: :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Adding it to my lift

ok - 4.5" is A LOT of lift for a TJ and at bare minimum, you'll want to install a dropped pitman arm, track bar relocation bracket front and rear, install a slip yoke eliminator and cv drive shaft and in order to do that, you really need to have adjustable rear upper control arms. adjustable front uppers is highly recommended as well as they will help you to set your caster. again, this is bare minimum stuff but to do it right, you really should have adjustable control arms all the way around and perferably, long arms. with that much lift, you can clear 35" tires.

NatedTJ

Okay thanks well I was gonna do a 6 inch long arm and I knew for that I would have to do that work so I minus well just wait for it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay thanks well I was gonna do a 6 inch long arm and I knew for that I would have to do that work so I minus well just wait for it

yeah, if you're thinking about going 6", i would wait for it. with that, you can run 37's

NatedTJ

I was told that before how much do you think I could get for my Dana 35 with a Riddlers diff. Cover and how hard would it to he to find something to match up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was told that before how much do you think I could get for my Dana 35 with a Riddlers diff. Cover and how hard would it to he to find something to match up

honestly, i'm not sure how much you can get for your 35, unfortunately, not much. if you were to get an 8.8, you would need custom brackets welded onto it. if you get a 44, you can get one that just bolts on.

BEE'S TWIN

The ford 8.8 is amazing. I just installed it in my tj. Ordered from ecgs.com and bolts right in. Upgraded to the superior 88 kit though. I really like my 8.8, way to go. I also got talked into the ft long arm from wayalife. Stoked to try it out

EugeneTheTJ

ok - 4.5" is A LOT of lift for a TJ and at bare minimum, you'll want to install a dropped pitman arm, track bar relocation bracket front and rear, install a slip yoke eliminator and cv drive shaft and in order to do that, you really need to have adjustable rear upper control arms. adjustable front uppers is highly recommended as well as they will help you to set your caster. again, this is bare minimum stuff but to do it right, you really should have adjustable control arms all the way around and perferably, long arms. with that much lift, you can clear 35" tires.

Eddie, you've been out of the tj game for a while :D. Dropped pitman arm is NOT needed. In fact, I would recommend against it as a lot of folks get bump steer from installing it.

Also, before you commit to long arms, ask yourself if you really need or want them. Nowadays a lot of jeepers are getting just as much if not more flex with johnny joint short arms and they still maintain a minimum footprint underneath. It all depends on what terrain you play in.

And as for the dana 44 vs 8.8 argument, it depends on what size tire you want to run and what you can find for the cheapest.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
On a 4" lift, you can use a drop pitman arm with a drop track bar bracket, good companies included a cross brace as well.

It's not the same drop bracket for a 4" and a 6" lift for a TJ. Running the wrong one will cause issues.

Of course it can get bump steer if the brackets don't match up to the coils.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On a 4" lift, you can use a drop pitman arm with a drop track bar bracket, good companies included a cross brace as well.

It's not the same drop bracket for a 4" and a 6" lift for a TJ. Running the wrong one will cause issues.

Of course it can get bump steer if the brackets don't match up to the coils.

That's the way I remember it. Dropped pitman arm with track bar drop bracket. So long as you keep the draglink and track bar parallel, you're good to go. Ideally, you want them as parallel to your axle as well. Same is true on any other vechicle.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
wayoflife said:
That's the way I remember it. Dropped pitman arm with track bar drop bracket. So long as you keep the draglink and track bar parallel, you're good to go. Ideally, you want them as parallel to your axle as well. Same is true on any other vechicle.

Yep, just make sure the coils work with the set up your looking at. One company's 4" coil is another's 6". I personally would not mix and match one companies brackets with another's coils.

NatedTJ

WOW!!! Thanks everyone very resourceful...

i eventually wanna go with 35s, and i was wondering what is a good lift that wont break the bank to to bad..

thanks again ill take any information i can!:rock:

Top Bottom