Warn Powerplant will not winch.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Ok, maybe I'm an idiot or forgetting something but I just installed a Warn Powerplant and it will not winch in or out. The air compressor seems to operate normally. With the mode selector switch on winch and the clutch lever in winch operation mode instead of free spool, I get nothing happening when I hit the switch on the remote. If I leave everything the same on the winch but hit the compressor on/off switch on the remote, the compressor comes on and then kicks off. Then when I hit the winch in/out switch on the remote the compressor kicks on and off no matter which direction you hit the winch in/out switch.

If I turn it to compressor mode, and hit the compressor on/off switch on the remote it kicks on, builds air, and then shuts off. So that part seems normal.

The problem is I have 10 or so feet of winch cable out and I can't winch it back in and the jeep is in my parents shop while I'm trying to figure this out and it really needs to be moved out of the shop ASAP. I called Warn and they are closed until Monday, though I'm betting Tuesday due to holiday.

Any thoughts or solutions?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
No solutions other than call Warn. My buddy just had a Warn CTI 9.5 newly installed and couldn't get the lever to turn out of free spool. Sent it to a local Warn authorized warranty gear shop for the fix.

For now, make sure all of your wiring is connected correctly including those at the rear of the winch. Also try and disconnect the power for a few minutes then reconnect and try again.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
No solutions other than call Warn. My buddy just had a Warn CTI 9.5 newly installed and couldn't get the lever to turn out of free spool. Sent it to a local Warn authorized warranty gear shop for the fix.

For now, make sure all of your wiring is connected correctly including those at the rear of the winch. Also try and disconnect the power for a few minutes then reconnect and try again.

I'm pretty sure everything is good except I didn't check the connections on the rear of the winch. Probably should have before I set it in the bumper.

I usually make sure my plug isn't connected when switching from air to winch.

I think I tried that, though I've been messing with it so much I can't remember for sure. I'll try that in the morning.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
If everything is hooked up, it's sound like its the thermal switch. It's a small nickle resistor. They can go bad. The early power plants had this issue.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If everything is hooked up, it's sound like its the thermal switch. It's a small nickle resistor. They can go bad. The early power plants had this issue.

Joy, I had been reading about that. Seems like it was the other way though, the winch would work but the air compressor wouldn't or would cycle on and off a lot. Idk. Hoping to mess with it some again today. We'll see maybe. Might just have to wait until I can talk to Warn. For now I just looped the cable up and stuck it behind the winch and zip tied it to the grill.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
So, I had to pull all my connections on the back of the winch not to long ago. I suggest doing that mine were poorly connected from the factory.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
So I tried another remote since my buddy has a Warn and that didn't work. I have not checked the tightness of the cables on the back side of the winch because I will have to remove the winch or the winch and bumper to get to them. Or remove the sway bar, being a rubicon, the disconnect motor is in the way. Though I am assuming they are all fine as the air compressor works. So I'm betting it's something internal to the winch. I'm going to try to call Warn here in a bit but bet they are closed due to holiday.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Joy, I had been reading about that. Seems like it was the other way though, the winch would work but the air compressor wouldn't or would cycle on and off a lot. Idk. Hoping to mess with it some again today. We'll see maybe. Might just have to wait until I can talk to Warn. For now I just looped the cable up and stuck it behind the winch and zip tied it to the grill.

Mine went bad a couple years ago. The compressor worked. The winch did not.

jeff_in_rc

OK first things first, DO NOT CONNECT an air hose to the compressor when using the winch, once it builds 100psi it shuts off the entire winch! Ask me how I know, I have the 9500 Power plant.

If your winch still has the male air connector on the tank your good BUT if somebody switch it out for a female you need to change it back. The compressor runs 100% of the time so when winching the connector has to be open to allow the air to escape and not build presser. Hope this helps.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have been messing with Warn all day on this. I'm not real pleased about it. They cant tell me crap over the phone, which is fine and understandable. However, they say they have never heard of this problem and that it shouldn't be happening because the winch and compressor share the motor. So if the compressor works, the winch would work. They gave me a number for a place close to me, which is an hour away, to take it to. The hour away doesn't bother me. The problem is, that place is only open 8-5 Monday-Friday. So there is time off work if I take it over. Or I ship it, which would be on my dime and hope I get reimbursed. So, I go back to the place of purchase, who initially said to contact Warn. They are stepping up and getting a new one, which should be here in the morning and I will give them this one back. So problem solved. :thumb: Hopefully anyways. LOL.

Can't you jump this to make it work as well? I've read a few write-ups online about it but have never needed to do it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Got the new winch in and installed. Alls good now. Time to get in the situation to have to use it. Maybe not. Time to go wheelin anyways.

drrags

OK first things first, DO NOT CONNECT an air hose to the compressor when using the winch, once it builds 100psi it shuts off the entire winch! Ask me how I know, I have the 9500 Power plant.

If your winch still has the male air connector on the tank your good BUT if somebody switch it out for a female you need to change it back. The compressor runs 100% of the time so when winching the connector has to be open to allow the air to escape and not build presser. Hope this helps.

I know this is an old post, but this, this saved my butt. It's the last thing I would have expected. I owe you a beer or 6.

tobyw

I know this is an old post, but this, this saved my butt. It's the last thing I would have expected. I owe you a beer or 6.

Ditto... I just finished my bumper build last night and went to spool on the new rope, and about 3 seconds into spooling it just quit. No clicks/pops/nothing... I finally put two and two together after several minutes of swearing that would have made the most seasoned of sailors blush :furious3: Wish I would have seen this post first, or maybe just read the user manual :doh:

NCX36Nx.jpg

So if we have to leave the outlet open ended, is there a concern with debris getting in there? Kind of a PITA to remember to have to pull the rubber cover and remove a hose cap if you need to winch? Obviously not the end of the world, just one more thing...

Top Bottom