How long did you run your stock tire carrier with aftermarket tires?

Spudcannons

I am thinking of replacing my stock tire carrier but don't want to do it asap since I can't choose what one to get but also don't want to ruin my tailgate. I'm running 35" nitro trail grapplers and 17" atx slabs.

nelsone

I've had my 35" wrangler mt/r with aev savegre 17" wheel on my stock carrier for over a year with no problem. I even recently did a trip with a full 4 gallon rotopax hanging off the back of it with no problem. There have also been times when I've had the back gate open for several hours.

utiadam

LOSER
Evolander has been running 37s on atx chamber pros on the stock carrier for quite a while. It would be at your own risk how long you choose to run it. I however chose to have no spare until I get the evo tire carrier.

stweasel

Brother ran his for several years make sure you get some extended bump stops for the tire carrier to account for the backspacing.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I don't think having a bigger tire on the carrier is usually the issue. The issue I've usually seen is if you hit something that causes that big meat to bend the tailgate, which is why I prefer it up and out a bit. I've seen guys bend the tailgate from a larger tire, but it wasn't from the weight, it was from it sticking out more usually from a spacer. Drop off a ledge and catch the tire and there goes your tailgate.

JK LYF

There are many people who run a 35 on the stock spare and are fine with it. Most are concerned about their tailgate for obvious reasons as that always seems to be the topic. I would think more towards safety and liability. A 35 inch tire could do a lot of damage on the freeway IF the stock had a failure. My guess is a good attorney would figure out the weight of the aftermarket tire vs the recommended weight the stock carrier can hold, etc. Not worth it to me. Just a thought.

While I haven't done it I know tons of guys (and gals) that do without an issue. I think the key to success here is controlling the wiggle and keeping the tire tight against some bump stops.

I will add however, that my wife's tailgate is a bit tweaked from the previous owner backing into a tree. IMO the biggest concern I have for running ANY tire on the factory carrier is hooking the tire on a ledge or backing/sliding into something. This said (and as previously mentioned), EVOLander is running a 37 and has been wheeled pretty damn hard.....

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Evolander isnt on the stock mount, I dont think. I asked a while back on instagram about it and they have something in the works, which is what they are running, but wanted to make sure its 100% perfect before they start to sell it. I was very interested but then ended up just getting the evo carrier instead.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Evolander isnt on the stock mount, I dont think. I asked a while back on instagram about it and they have something in the works, which is what they are running, but wanted to make sure its 100% perfect before they start to sell it. I was very interested but then ended up just getting the evo carrier instead.

I do remember seeing your conversation on IG. However, for the better part of EVOLanders time it has been the stock carrier. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?20259-The-JK-Factory-Tire-Carrier-Sucks!!

TexasJC

I've been running my tire on an upgraded carrier ( smittybuilt I think). No problem so far after a year and a half. I know the feeling about their products on here, but it filled a need until I decide on my rear bumper. I'm running a 35, btw

jeeeep

Hooked
ran the stock carrier for 4 yrs with 35 on it no issues, numerous off-road trips.

as mentioned, just make sure it's flush on the mount and the bump stops make contact with the tire.

If it's wiggling it'll cause damage - same as bending a wire back and forth until it breaks..fatigue is the issue.

depending on the type of wheeling you do, you may want to put a tow hitch (upside down) or get and extension bar in the hitch so it won't catch on a ledge

Jeep_stinger.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Has anyone bashed their evo carrier or heavily abused it. Anyone done the same with the poison spyder one?

I have seen a friend drop the entire weight of his jeep onto his evo carrier. Put two small dents in it and it just needed some adjusting at the bolts but it was fine.

Big b

I had a chance to look over Evolander at Jeep Beach and that Jeep is the exception to a lot of rules. The carrier still appears to be stock but the rear bumper has a bracket welded on to support the spare. Evolander is also still using the stock axles other than gearing, with no gusseting and stock driveshafts. A very basic build for what It has been put through. Granted word is if anything breaks the owner knows a guy.

Top Bottom