Airing down. Beadlock or not beadlock.

Cavscout263

So I am looking to buy some wheels to go with my 35"x12.5x17 nitto trail grapplers. I am debating if I want to get beadlock or non beadlock. There are several factors that I have thought about. Whether they are Street legal or not(in Kansas there is no reference to wheels), will it cause problems when I Pcs from Fort Riley, and then how much I could air down without loosing a bead. The main size of the wheel I am looking at is 17x9

So i guess the main question is how much could I air down on non beadlock wheels with out loosing the bead. I plan to take it on multiple different types of terrain.

Last edited:

MIURA

I've heard under 15PSI on non beadlock is the lowest you should go to stay safe.. On beadlocks you can go as low as you'd like

dwmgcs

I have run down to 8 psi on my BFG KM2's on regular American Racing Outlaw II wheels without any issues but it is questionable, much better at 10 psi and no worries. With beadlocks you can run as low as you want but I see no reason to go below about 5 psi which is what I have always run on my sand duners, probably don't need to be that low for most other conditions than deep soft sand.

David1tontj

I go to 4 psi on a regular basis. That being said- my tires are pretty stiff. It totally depends on the tire/ vehicle combination, and then also how you drive once it's aired down. You certainly don't want to be making any fast hard turns when aired down.

Do I wish I had beadlocks? Heck yes. Does it stop me from going as low as I want? No. I just carry a can of starting fluid and have my OBA just in case.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432821244.150902.jpg

I love the way this pic shows the sidewall twisting.

07JKSahara

I have run down to 8 psi on my BFG KM2's on regular American Racing Outlaw II wheels without any issues but it is questionable, much better at 10 psi and no worries. With beadlocks you can run as low as you want but I see no reason to go below about 5 psi which is what I have always run on my sand duners, probably don't need to be that low for most other conditions than deep soft sand.

If you run snow often, maybe down below 8 but really a 35 typically bites best around 8ish. Like said, 10 will keep you from being nervous the whole time.

Let's see the sand duners! I used to run those in northern mi when I was a kid.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Most bead locks require routine maintenance as well I believe, I don't have any yet. So that's something to keep in mind. Not saying that it would be a con for bead locks but if you don't really check your vehicle over often, the bead locks may not be for you for that reason alone.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I go to 4 psi on a regular basis. That being said- my tires are pretty stiff. It totally depends on the tire/ vehicle combination, and then also how you drive once it's aired down. You certainly don't want to be making any fast hard turns when aired down.

Do I wish I had beadlocks? Heck yes. Does it stop me from going as low as I want? No. I just carry a can of starting fluid and have my OBA just in case.

View attachment 145551

I love the way this pic shows the sidewall twisting.

Suhweet! Sidewall reminds when a drag car takes off. Do you have a video of how to re-seat with starter fluid?

David1tontj

Suhweet! Sidewall reminds when a drag car takes off. Do you have a video of how to re-seat with starter fluid?

It's been years since I've had to reseat one, but next time I do it, I will certainly take a video! I do it for wheelbarrow tires and just about any other thing I can. Not hard really-

1- remove wheel from jeep. ( not required, but I don't like the idea of accidentally burning down my rig)

2- spray a small amount of starter fluid into tire. I never do more than a short burst. (Less than 1 second)

3- toss a lit match inside the tire. Poof!!!!!! Just like that. Back on the rim.

4- now add air and put it back on the jeep.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
It's been years since I've had to reseat one, but next time I do it, I will certainly take a video! I do it for wheelbarrow tires and just about any other thing I can. Not hard really-

1- remove wheel from jeep. ( not required, but I don't like the idea of accidentally burning down my rig)

2- spray a small amount of starter fluid into tire. I never do more than a short burst. (Less than 1 second)

3- toss a lit match inside the tire. Poof!!!!!! Just like that. Back on the rim.

Never let a pyro do that! Seen a guy spray a lot of ether in a decent sized tractor tire and when he threw the match to it, it not only seated the tire but it blew it off the ground what seemed like 10 feet. I'm sure it wasn't but it made a hell of a boom and we all jumped. I was probably 100 feet away from it when he set it off. Thought I had been shot. Lol. Damn idiot.

ClarksAdventures

Dave, in order for you to take a video you have to remember to charge and/or bring your video recording devices. Lol

David1tontj

Never let a pyro do that! Seen a guy spray a lot of ether in a decent sized tractor tire and when he threw the match to it, it not only seated the tire but it blew it off the ground what seemed like 10 feet. I'm sure it wasn't but it made a hell of a boom and we all jumped. I was probably 100 feet away from it when he set it off. Thought I had been shot. Lol. Damn idiot.

Too much starter fluid!! Haha. Ben in the video my brother posted, they still used a ton.

David1tontj

Dave, in order for you to take a video you have to remember to charge and/or bring your video recording devices. Lol

I was there- I don't need a video... But then people start asking to see...

I guess I just need to start filming everything. That is, after said battery is charged

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Losing a bead can be catastrophic.
If you are in a tight situation and your bead fails - you have life and property at stake.

There is a reason so many people run beadlocks.

My rule is comparable to what has been said before.
Non-beadlocks. 12 psi minimum.
Beadlocks. 5 psi minimum
If you are in sand you can go lower if you are stuck. But risk losing the bead on the front when turning.

I run the Hutchinson rock monsters. They are heavy, but DOT approved and proven. I think the slabs are nice too. I have walker Evans on my buggy.

I regularly run 12.5 in the rocks and it works pretty well. I have seperated the beads twice on rutted mud trails with 16 psi... I really wish I had gotten beadlocks and plan to rectify this in the spring.

Edit to add this was with 37s

Armydog

I run down to 5psi or so without beadlocks. Just for slow crawls. I air back up to around 18 when running faster. I sooooooooo want a set of slabs!

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
If you plan to go below 10 bead locks would definitely be route to go. But the TG will grip just fine at pressures still safe on non bead locks.

Even many beadlocks you can't really go as low as you want. Most are only bead locks on the outer edge. You can still burp them/blow inner bead if you go too low. Rare but it happens. If you want to run really really low need double beadlocks to have total peace of mind

Top Bottom