33" or 35" what a dilemma!

TJ4fun

Hello all, i have a 4" suspension pro comp lift and NO body lift, on my 2000 tj with 4.0. I currently have 33" 12.50 tires, my question is all the deliberation that im putting my self through, even worth the aggravation? Sounds like a ton of money will need to be spent on gears and maybe a couple two or three grand for a Dana 44 for the front to match my 44 in the rear. Do you actually get that much more out of 35s them 33s?
I really could use the cold hard facts on this because there must be 100,000 write ups on the subject and 100.00 different ideas. I thing you folks here may be able to help. I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

MarkW13

The extra 1" or so of ground clearance makes a huge difference. I had a yj. I ran several trails on 33's, then got 35's and went back to a couple. Big difference. I wouldn't have expected that an inch would make that big of a difference. Jmho.

TJ4fun

thats what i was afraid of.

im thinking your right, ill probably need to Just Empty Every Pocket now.

TJ4fun

Nitto

My 33s aren't even close to 33", I did find that NITTO trail grappler is exactly what they says it is.....and more. Maybe that would make a little bit of difference. you think?

TJ4fun

Ill just get 35s and do what I have to do to make it work. my 44 rear end should hold up ok, its the Dana 30 im worried about.

TJ4fun

I have found that NITTO does not have a 35 for a 15 inch wheel. I like running a 15 inch and Iv heard that Goodyear M/T really dont hold up well. Any recommendations?

K.D.C.H

Hands down 35's over 33's

Ill just get 35s and do what I have to do to make it work. my 44 rear end should hold up ok, its the Dana 30 im worried about.

Your D30 will be fine with 35's. Anything over that and then you may start having issues though. I've got 35's and threw in 4:88 gears and everything's still going strong. I wouldn't go over 4:88's though.

TJ4fun

I think i have 3.73 gears now...stock. I got real lucky, the dealer ordered my jeep with a Dana 35 in the rear and they ran out of D35s on that day..they threw in a 44. Darn lucky id say...that kinda thing seldom happens.

DMF

I just went from 33" to 35". It maybe the new gears but I barely use the gas pedal when I'm bumping over the same rocks when I had the 33" tires. It's night a day difference from what I had.

Kalums

I have found that NITTO does not have a 35 for a 15 inch wheel. I like running a 15 inch and Iv heard that Goodyear M/T really dont hold up well. Any recommendations?

The M/T's..... I wasn't impressed, but I've run two sets of Duratracs now and I love them, the side wall isn't as good as a Nitto or Toyo but in the snow, ice, mud and rain they are very capable.

lulu2533

How about the Mickey Thompson MTZ's?
My cousin runs them on his TJ and loves them.

MarkW13

Hands down 35's over 33's

Your D30 will be fine with 35's. Anything over that and then you may start having issues though. I've got 35's and threw in 4:88 gears and everything's still going strong. I wouldn't go over 4:88's though.

Agreed. Don't go wider than 12.50. The extra width will cause too much stress on the 30.

TJ4fun

Mickey Thompson MT Z's, interesting....have to spend some time looking in to those. Thanks.
And yes..that tiny little Dana 30 weak link i think.

lulu2533

Mickey Thompson MT Z's, interesting....have to spend some time looking in to those. Thanks.
And yes..that tiny little Dana 30 weak link i think.

No problem. I was actually considering them for my 17in wheels, but went with the Nittos.

Top Bottom