Strange noise from transfer case/drive shaft area

mattfl

So check this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i7Co3-335o

The strange noise happens right away, goes away for a second while I shift and then once I start accelerating again it's there.

The noise happens when under hard/heavy acceleration in 2WD/4HI/4LO and sounds like it's coming from directly underneath the Jeep.

So at first we thought it was the front driveshaft, and while I had busted the boot on it I put on a new Adams today and the noise stayed. We pulled apart the front diff to check everything in there and everything looked ok.

So now we are thinking either something internal in the transfer case itself, even though the jeep drives just fine and has been for a month or so now, or possibly the rear driveshaft. Other than that we don't know what else to check. I'm probably gonna take it to the dealer this week as I still have some warranty left and see what they say.

We thought of pulling out the rear drive shaft, putting it in 4WD and driving without it to see if we could narrow it down that way too.

Anyone else have any ideas what it might be?

dwmgcs

I would start by pulling the driveshaft, I had a noise just like that when the double carden ball and socket went out in my rear driveshaft, although mine was a 1310 driveshaft, are you running a 1310/1350 or still the stock driveshaft?

mattfl

I would start by pulling the driveshaft, I had a noise just like that when the double carden ball and socket went out in my rear driveshaft, although mine was a 1310 driveshaft, are you running a 1310/1350 or still the stock driveshaft?

Still stock rear drive shaft.

When you say the noise is coming from directly underneath where are you referring too exactly? Have you listened to it from multiple seats? Sounds have a funny way of moving. Does the noise get quicker with acceleration and speed? At any speed does it go away completely? Can you feel anything in the gear shift whiles it's making the noise? Have you had any maintenance done recently like brakes, belts, etc?

mattfl

When you say the noise is coming from directly underneath where are you referring too exactly? Have you listened to it from multiple seats? Sounds have a funny way of moving. Does the noise get quicker with acceleration and speed? At any speed does it go away completely? Can you feel anything in the gear shift whiles it's making the noise? Have you had any maintenance done recently like brakes, belts, etc?

You can hear it from any seat in the jeep and it still sounds like from under neath.

The noise is only heard during acceleration. Yes once at speed it goes away.

I don't feel anything different in the gear shift.

Nope, no recent maintenance. We noticed the noise started during our last wheeling trip, soon as it started I parked the jeep for the rest of the day as we couldn't figure out right away what it was.

You can hear it from any seat in the jeep and it still sounds like from under neath.

The noise is only heard during acceleration. Yes once at speed it goes away.

I don't feel anything different in the gear shift.

Nope, no recent maintenance. We noticed the noise started during our last wheeling trip, soon as it started I parked the jeep for the rest of the day as we couldn't figure out right away what it was.

It honestly sounds like motor from the video but I'm guessing that's just from the cell phone video being watched on a cell phone haha. My gut says it's not the t-case if you can't feel any change on the shifter handle as its making the noise. I would start at the t-case and work my way down to the pinion in the rear. Sorry I couldn't have been more help but maybe someone has had those similar issues and will pipe up. GL!

Jeeplife101

I had same exact noise/issues, I took it in and it was the rear drive shaft. They replaced it under warranty after some persuasion. At first they weren't going to do it under warranty because my 4 " lift didn't have limit straps. Basically a bottle of wine later and I had a new driveshaft installed on warranty. Good luck man!

mattfl

I had same exact noise/issues, I took it in and it was the rear drive shaft. They replaced it under warranty after some persuasion. At first they weren't going to do it under warranty because my 4 " lift didn't have limit straps. Basically a bottle of wine later and I had a new driveshaft installed on warranty. Good luck man!

Ok this gives me some hope lol. I have an extended 3rd party warranty the drawer suckered me into buying when I bought my jeep so it should cover this.

Top Bottom