Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Strange noise from transfer case/drive shaft area

  1. #1
    Been Around the Block mattfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DeBary, FL
    Posts
    387

    Strange noise from transfer case/drive shaft area

    So check this video

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i7Co3-335o

    The strange noise happens right away, goes away for a second while I shift and then once I start accelerating again it's there.

    The noise happens when under hard/heavy acceleration in 2WD/4HI/4LO and sounds like it's coming from directly underneath the Jeep.

    So at first we thought it was the front driveshaft, and while I had busted the boot on it I put on a new Adams today and the noise stayed. We pulled apart the front diff to check everything in there and everything looked ok.

    So now we are thinking either something internal in the transfer case itself, even though the jeep drives just fine and has been for a month or so now, or possibly the rear driveshaft. Other than that we don't know what else to check. I'm probably gonna take it to the dealer this week as I still have some warranty left and see what they say.

    We thought of pulling out the rear drive shaft, putting it in 4WD and driving without it to see if we could narrow it down that way too.

    Anyone else have any ideas what it might be?

  2. #2
    Been Around the Block dwmgcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    283
    I would start by pulling the driveshaft, I had a noise just like that when the double carden ball and socket went out in my rear driveshaft, although mine was a 1310 driveshaft, are you running a 1310/1350 or still the stock driveshaft?

  3. #3
    Been Around the Block mattfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DeBary, FL
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgcs View Post
    I would start by pulling the driveshaft, I had a noise just like that when the double carden ball and socket went out in my rear driveshaft, although mine was a 1310 driveshaft, are you running a 1310/1350 or still the stock driveshaft?
    Still stock rear drive shaft.

  4. #4
    Been Around the Block dwmgcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    283
    Yeah, I would still start with the driveshaft, it's the most likely candidate.

  5. #5
    -
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,822
    When you say the noise is coming from directly underneath where are you referring too exactly? Have you listened to it from multiple seats? Sounds have a funny way of moving. Does the noise get quicker with acceleration and speed? At any speed does it go away completely? Can you feel anything in the gear shift whiles it's making the noise? Have you had any maintenance done recently like brakes, belts, etc?

  6. #6
    Been Around the Block mattfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DeBary, FL
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by crippledpetey View Post
    When you say the noise is coming from directly underneath where are you referring too exactly? Have you listened to it from multiple seats? Sounds have a funny way of moving. Does the noise get quicker with acceleration and speed? At any speed does it go away completely? Can you feel anything in the gear shift whiles it's making the noise? Have you had any maintenance done recently like brakes, belts, etc?
    You can hear it from any seat in the jeep and it still sounds like from under neath.

    The noise is only heard during acceleration. Yes once at speed it goes away.

    I don't feel anything different in the gear shift.

    Nope, no recent maintenance. We noticed the noise started during our last wheeling trip, soon as it started I parked the jeep for the rest of the day as we couldn't figure out right away what it was.

  7. #7
    -
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,822

    Strange noise from transfer case/drive shaft area

    Quote Originally Posted by mattfl View Post
    You can hear it from any seat in the jeep and it still sounds like from under neath.

    The noise is only heard during acceleration. Yes once at speed it goes away.

    I don't feel anything different in the gear shift.

    Nope, no recent maintenance. We noticed the noise started during our last wheeling trip, soon as it started I parked the jeep for the rest of the day as we couldn't figure out right away what it was.
    It honestly sounds like motor from the video but I'm guessing that's just from the cell phone video being watched on a cell phone haha. My gut says it's not the t-case if you can't feel any change on the shifter handle as its making the noise. I would start at the t-case and work my way down to the pinion in the rear. Sorry I couldn't have been more help but maybe someone has had those similar issues and will pipe up. GL!

  8. #8
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    31,988
    Sounds like a driveshaft CV going bad to me.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

    2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    1975 DJ5

  9. #9
    Knows a Thing or Two SFNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    599
    Sounds like a clutch issue to me.
    MADE IN AMERICA

  10. #10
    Caught the Bug Jeeplife101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    North port, fl
    Posts
    78
    I had same exact noise/issues, I took it in and it was the rear drive shaft. They replaced it under warranty after some persuasion. At first they weren't going to do it under warranty because my 4 " lift didn't have limit straps. Basically a bottle of wine later and I had a new driveshaft installed on warranty. Good luck man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS