The many uses of a winch! -post yours!

David1tontj

So, over the years I have used my winch for more off-road recoveries than I can count, and for that it can be a lifesaver.

Since the first day I got my winch 14 years ago, I have looked for every opportunity I could to use it. I've broken cable, broken rope, but never broken the winch itself. It sits there on my front bumper, abused, often dirty, sometimes completely submerged- but always ready for the next job.

We know a winch can be a lifesaver, and that's why most of us have one -to get us out of a jam, whether we just got stuck, or we happened to end up on our roof or side. But I want to focus on when our winches aren't just LIFE savers, but BACK savers!

Here's just a couple that I've got.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433042008.242406.jpg

Today- we used my winch, a few straps, and some tackle to load one of my best friends huge snap on box. It made a back breaking job a piece of cake. Just stood there and watched as thousands of pounds rolled right into the trailer!

So- let's see your winch helping you out with something you didn't quite imagine when you bought it.

rangair94

Here's one I saw the other day, pulling something off an asphalt grinder.

Attachments

• 1433046981028.jpg
    1433046981028.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:

kg6bws

Wish I had taken pictures, I used mine once to set a water valve in a vault. We hung a pulley off a backhoe bucket and used it like a crane. $700k valve that I was scared to death of the backhoe breaking it.

Jackal01

It's actually fun to rip stuff out of the ground.

As long as you don't pull up any plumbing

Yea exactly...I (actually the misses) was paying very close attention to the irrigation system lines. The roots were under a couple places but we made it work. Repairing irrigation lines is pretty easy too so I wasn't too worried anyway.

t8er

Went wheeling with a buddy who has an XJ. His rear leaf retainers came out so his leaf springs were really fanned out. Got them back in line with a pry bar and the winch

David1tontj

Wish I had taken pictures, I used mine once to set a water valve in a vault. We hung a pulley off a backhoe bucket and used it like a crane. $700k valve that I was scared to death of the backhoe breaking it.

Yeah- I love how a winch can make things so much more controlled. Would've been a great pic.

Been there! Used mine to pull up about 8 stumps. Worked perfectly.

It's funny how we winch to trees to get us out, and we can also winch trees to get them out... It's all about strap placement and soil conditions.

Went wheeling with a buddy who has an XJ. His rear leaf retainers came out so his leaf springs were really fanned out. Got them back in line with a pry bar and the winch

That's awesome! I love using a winch for trail fixes. Many years ago I had to use mine to steer my old fj40 off the rubicon after a sector shaft breakage. Not too fun at the time, but now it's just good memories.

Top Bottom