Detroit Locker or Eaton E-Locker in rear Dana 44?

chrisdev01

I own a 2013 JK 2dr Sport, with a manual transmission.

I recently had the front Dana 30 replaced with a Terraflex Dana 44.

The new front axle has an Eaton E-Locker and I had the front and rear gears swapped to 4.56 since I'm running 35s.

I had the rear diff inspected by Lone Star Ring & Pinion today. Eric there found that I have a chipped limited slip spider gear.

I don't know if the chipped spider gear happened before or after the gear swap (Eric did not do the swap, another shop did it a few weeks ago).

According to the shop, the rear diff is otherwise OK.

I'd like to hear from you more experienced Jeepers regarding locking rear diff options.

I've been told that the OEM spider gears and LSD are weak.

There seems to be two options: Detroit Locker or Eaton E-Locker.

Can anyone provide real-world experience pros and cons of each?

Last edited:

Grubbicon

If you ask me a selectable locker in the rear is not worth the money. A lot of people will say that it makes the jeep drive weird but I can say I have never noticed it. Only time I knew it was there is when I was in a parking lot (this is driving my dads TJ with a detroit in the rear). Im still running rubi elocker in mine but if something were to change id but a detroit in it.

noroad

I own a 2013 JK 2dr Sport, with a manual transmission.

I recently had the front Dana 30 replaced with a Terraflex Dana 44.

The new front axle has an Eaton E-Locker and I had the front and rear gears swapped to 4.56 since I'm running 35s.

I had the rear diff inspected by Lone Star Ring & Pinion today. Eric there found that I have a chipped limited slip spider gear.

I don't know if the chipped spider gear happened before or after the gear swap (Eric did not do the swap, another shop did it a few weeks ago).

According to the shop, the rear diff is otherwise OK.

I'd like to hear from you more experienced Jeepers regarding locking rear diff options.

I've been told that the OEM spider gears and LSD are weak.

There seems to be two options: Detroit Locker or Eaton E-Locker.

Can anyone provide real-world experience pros and cons of each?

dont wana go air? only thing i saw wrong with e lockers is sometimes they need a good roll to lock in well air lockers are less.

I went with an ARB because the price was comparable and did not have to worry about running wires. ARB engage almost immediately where as the e-lockers need some rotation to engage.

chrisdev01

dont wana go air? only thing i saw wrong with e lockers is sometimes they need a good roll to lock in well air lockers are less.

I chose E-locker up front since I don't have on board air.

Since the front is already done, I figured I'd also use Eaton in the rear.

Eaton makes both a Detroit-type and an electronic type.

noroad

I chose E-locker up front since I don't have on board air.

Since the front is already done, I figured I'd also use Eaton in the rear.

Eaton makes both a Detroit-type and an electronic type.

i would go select able so electronic type, i thought i read someplace that the Detroit had a problem with the later model jk abs but i really cant remember.

chrisdev01

i would go select able so electronic type, i thought i read someplace that the Detroit had a problem with the later model jk abs but i really cant remember.

I just read a thread (on another forum) where someone claiming to work for Dynatrac said NOT to install an Detroit type auto-locker in the rear -- that it causes issues with the traction control and anti-lock brakes. Supposedly Dynatrac is recommending LSD or select-able Lockers for 2012 and up JKs.

Interesting if true...

noroad

I just read a thread (on another forum) where someone claiming to work for Dynatrac said NOT to install an Detroit type auto-locker in the rear -- that it causes issues with the traction control and anti-lock brakes. Supposedly Dynatrac is recommending LSD or select-able Lockers for 2012 and up JKs.

Interesting if true...

i thought i read it a little while back.

Top Bottom