Reason Behind the JL Wrangler Delay

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to supplier leaks, we've known for a while now that the all new 2017 Jeep JL Wrangler was more than likely to see a deal in its release by at least a year - maybe two and David Zatz explained why that would be in a recent article he published on AllPar.

The Jeep Wrangler is to be pushed back a year, though the reason may have nothing to do with finances, as Reuters implies. The Wrangler was reportedly to have an aluminum body or independent suspension, but neither made it past testing, setting the program back.

http://allparnews.com/index.php/2015/06/behind-the-chrysler-launch-delays-28853

So, it looks as if all the things that would have made the new JL so much different than the JK is today not only is going out the window, it also is causing its ultimate release to be pushed back and by quite a bit. At this point and time, I just hope the new JL will at least be somewhat different than the JK. I would say that time will tell but apparently, we have too much of that on our hands now. :rolleyes2:

JAGS

Hooked
Though this happens with a lot of manufacturers, I'm a little bummed. Wonder, and guessing, if some of the wrangler delays also have to do with plant negotiations in and with Toledo. Its been an ongoing dynamic that's been in the news.

Guess it gives me more time to save, but not sure I want to wait for the new wrangler till possibly 2018!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Interesting the new Wrangler may be having suspension troubles. Several forum members expressed their reservations concerning independent suspension. Hmmmm?:thinking:

Petthefish

I hope they scrap the independent suspension idea. I like the idea of an aluminum frame to make it lighter.

JKMag

Thanks for the info! I was curious as to why the delay. I would rather they do it right than wrong and test it out on the consumer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hope they scrap the independent suspension idea. I like the idea of an aluminum frame to make it lighter.

For me personally, I find it so sad that so many people think this. Lucky for you, the IFS/IRS has been scrapped.

BlackHawk08jk

For me personally, I find it so sad that so many people think this. Lucky for you, the IFS/IRS has been scrapped.

Why do you want IFS just outa curiosity? I mean I know if you're racing across the desert or trophy truck style racing it's better. Also street ride would be smoother, but for rock crawling?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you want IFS just outa curiosity? I mean I know if you're racing across the desert or trophy truck style racing it's better. Also street ride would be smoother, but for rock crawling?

Why do all the top Ultra4 race rigs that compete in King of the Hammers all have IFS/IRS? Just so that we're on the same page, the Hammers are out in Johnson Valley, CA and is home to some of the most unforgiving rock crawling you can find anywhere.

seanb123

What makes straight axels great is how easy there are to lift. Not because they are an amazing suspension. Ifs would be better but would require more to be done that just longer shocks and new coils

I do think that the aluminum body would be pretty awesome though.

there is a lot of upkeep maintenance for aluminum bodies. As a retired US Navy helicopter mechanic I know first had what salt does to aluminum and it is not pretty. Sure it is light but a simple scratch can cause a lot of head ache.

R/
Will

BlackHawk08jk

Why do all the top Ultra4 race rigs that compete in King of the Hammers all have IFS/IRS? Just so that we're on the same page, the Hammers are out in Johnson Valley, CA and is home to some of the most unforgiving rock crawling you can find anywhere.

I guess that's a good point. I mean I can see it would give a smoother ride, and let each wheel travel more freely.

sanman357

What makes straight axels great is how easy there are to lift. Not because they are an amazing suspension. Ifs would be better but would require more to be done that just longer shocks and new coils

I think they would have to design the ifs/irs with 35"-37" tires in mind to keep the true off-roaders happy. But from an environmental (mileage) standpoint it would be tough. Unfortunately I won't be able to purchase a current jeep new. Have to put the kids through collage first.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
It's funny reading all of you argue over the suspension possibilities, but if you ask me I'm more upset with the fact that the JL might not have a removable top. I could eventually get use to a different suspension but I could never live without the freedom of driving a completely open air Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This ^^^. IFS would just cost more to lift but the end results would be superior to solid axles.

Out of curiousity, how many of you jk-ers plan on swapping to the JL?

I would if I had to and may still sell one of my JK's when the time comes.

Top Bottom