Wave from California!

Jerry311

Hi from San Diego CA.
Just picked up a 92 Wrangler for 2500$ Already lifted with brand new 33" tires. I would like to put 32" on it.
The 33" are a little to much for this small four cyl to keep up.

20150601_142832.jpg

K.D.C.H

I was thinking about that also, but not sure what gears I should go with.

Do you know what axels you have? Knowing that and what transmission you have will help to figure out what gear ratio you'll need to run 33's with the 4 banger.

I don't know much about the YJ's but I'm more than happy to help you search for the info until someone else on here chimes in that may know more :)

MarkW13

I was thinking about that also, but not sure what gears I should go with.

4 or 6 cylinder? 4 cylinder came with 4.10 gears, 6 came with 3.06 or 3.56 I believe.

If you have the 4 you will need 5.12, the problem is the dana 30 pinion gear will be weak.

If you have the 6 you will be good in the 4.56 range. I'd go straight to 35's with 4.88.

Standing wave from central CA.

K.D.C.H

4 or 6 cylinder? 4 cylinder came with 4.10 gears, 6 came with 3.06 or 3.56 I believe.

If you have the 4 you will need 5.12, the problem is the dana 30 pinion gear will be weak.

If you have the 6 you will be good in the 4.56 range. I'd go straight to 35's with 4.88.

Standing wave from central CA.

He has the 4 cylinder so it looks as though he's got 4:10's as long as it wasn't re-geared be the previous owner

MarkW13

He has the 4 cylinder so it looks as though he's got 4:10's as long as it wasn't re-geared be the previous owner

4 cylinder with 33's are very sluggish. I have a friend with a 4 cylinder tj on 33's with 5.12 gears. It does pretty good.

You have to change the speedometer gear to adjust if you regear a yj.

Fyi, you have an ax5 transmission an np231 transfer case with a 21 spline input shaft. If you dont have a slip yoke eliminator, get one asap.

Last edited:

indobos72

Corona Wave

Wave from Corona!

2015 JKUR Billet Silver Rubicon

Looking to do 2.5" Teraflex or AEV lift (Just need to drop off at the shop)
35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
17x9 Fuel Hostages
Installing Ace rock sliders which are being dropped off today.
Tomorrow working on cutting stock fenders.

Looking forward to much more information!

Jerry311

I think my Rear end is a Dana 35. The casting has a 35 on it next to the diff cover.

For now it's going to be a driveway queen :grayno: The Exhaust manifold has a crack in it, So I'll need to replace that and also my check engine light doesn't work.
Isn't the check engine light supposed to come on when you turn the key on and start the motor? Mine doesn't come on at all. The bulb was burned out so I replaced the bulb, still didn't work, cleaned the contacts on the ribbon cable in the gauge cluster, still no light. I don't know what the deal is :grayno::mad:

So first i'll replace the exhaust manifold, then start looking into the check engine light. I know is the Jeep is going to pass smog, the light needs to be functional. I just don't have the money to take it to a shop so they can trouble shoot it.

I hate smog crap :mad:

dillard09

Welcome to the family from Hermosa Beach. Love the YJ!
I had a 92 YJ that I just sold a couple months ago. I loved that thing.
The stock rear axle is most likely the Dana 35. Very weak axle. Look into a Ford 8.8 axle. You can get those in your local pick and pull for cheap. You can even find it with 4.10 and a limited slip and it will match your bolt pattern and width of the front HP Dana 30. The front axle is a pretty strong little guy. I put a Spartan locker in the front and some chromoly shafts and it handled beadlocked 35's all day.
I had 4.56 gears and 35's but I had the 4.0L 6cyl.
Mine also had the bulb problem with the dash. I was lucky and replaced the bulb and it worked. It is a pain to keep pulling the dash apart. Also mine had the cracked manifold. It passed smog with the crack so I just left it after the 2nd one cracked.
Good luck with the build and enjoy!

Last edited:

Jerry311

Welcome to the family from Hermosa Beach. Love the YJ!
I had a 92 YJ that I just sold a couple months ago. I loved that thing.
The stock rear axle is most likely the Dana 35. Very weak axle. Look into a Ford 8.8 axle. You can get those in your local pick and pull for cheap. You can even find it with 4.10 and a limited slip and it will match your bolt pattern and width of the front HP Dana 30. The front axle is a pretty strong little guy. I put a Spartan locker in the front and some chromoly shafts and it handled beadlocked 35's all day.
I had 4.56 gears and 35's but I had the 4.0L 6cyl.
Mine also had the bulb problem with the dash. I was lucky and replaced the bulb and it worked. It is a pain to keep pulling the dash apart. Also mine had the cracked manifold. It passed smog with the crack so I just left it after the 2nd one cracked.
Good luck with the build and enjoy!

Wow I didn't think it would pass with a cracked manifold. Thanks for the rear-end info :beer:

First thing I need to do is figure out whats going on with the check engine light. once I get that working I can see if i'll pass smog.

I did do the leaky valve cover gasket and painted the valve cover this weekend.

20150604_172944.jpg

Last edited:

dillard09

Wow I didn't think it would pass with a cracked manifold. Thanks for the rear-end info :beer:

First thing I need to do is figure out whats going on with the check engine light. once I get that working I can see if i'll pass smog.

I didn't think it would pass either but took it down and it did. It actually passed twice with a crack. Maybe you can get lucky.
Good luck!

Top Bottom