Soft top removal

RoughRider

So they other day I was taking the back window off of my soft top, and it took me a good 45 minutes because the zippers were being a pain.

Does anyone have this problem and are there any ways to over come this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bestop sells zipper lube that will help make this job a lot easier. Rubbing some Ivory bar soap on the zippers work as well. Of course, taking off your top on a warm day helps a ton too.

Jeepers46

I use White Lightning Bicycle Chain Lube (Walmart 5 bucks) and it seems to work really well. Ive never tried anything else so there might be some better options but this one has worked really good for me.

BlueBox

I have paracord zipper pulls on mine as well. Helps to really be able to pull on them when you need to.

Utah_Jay

I am almost afraid to admit this but I use WD-40 on mine and it works great....but my soft top is beat to hell already so I don't really care. I wouldn't use it on a nicer top as it will attract some dirt.

davantalus

Cleaning. I cleaned the dust out of mine the other day and it helped. Clean with water first, then try one of the methods listed above.

Cavscout263

I use CLP. I use it to clean my m4 in the army. It attracts dust but it does exactly what it's name is, Clean, Lubricate, and protects.

JKMag

Bestop sells zipper lube that will help make this job a lot easier. Rubbing some Ivory bar soap on the zippers work as well. Of course, taking off your top on a warm day helps a ton too.

I agree, I purchased the Bestop zipper lube from amazon and it works well, it has a brush on the applicator to help clean the zipper as you apply the lubricant.

DMF

I am almost afraid to admit this but I use WD-40 on mine and it works great....but my soft top is beat to hell already so I don't really care. I wouldn't use it on a nicer top as it will attract some dirt.

I have paracord zipper pulls on mine as well. Helps to really be able to pull on them when you need to.

I do both of these things. I cut about 2 feet of paracord and wrap it around my tailgate hinge. When the zipper gets stuck I reach for the paracord.

My top is so old I don't think WD-40 is making it look any worst. But the WD-40 doesn't last long and about a week I go back to the paracord.

Top Bottom