Mechanical locker in rear dana 44 jku

Green2012

Ok guys I have just installed an aussie locker and new 4.88 gears in my dana 44 rear. My rig is a 6 speed and I installed an aussie locker and left the front open because i don't have the funds for bigger axels right now . My question is this it is making the normal clicking and ratcheting noise but it has gained some unusual quirks such as when changing gears they are harder to shift and grinding occasionally which was not happening before the locker . Also there are some issues with other noises and loading up and chugging . I know my description doesn't make sense but its like learning to drive a stick again felling. The locker was installed by the instructions filler gauges were used tolerances and backlash within specs. I have had no prior experience with a mechanical locker so I am not sure if this is normal . It is a daily driver and it may be the locker just hates pavement like I do . Any input on what could be going on would be appreciated .

Utah_Jay

I cannot speak from direct experience.....but from what I have read the JK doesn't like mechanical lockers in the rear due to the BLD. From what I understand the locker will mess with the BLD causing the ESP to engage which could explain the "chugging" feeling. You could turn off the ESP and see if you notice an improvement. I am sure somebody with more experience will chime in here.

When you are straight the locker shouldn't be doing anything so I would look to the gears for adverse changes. When you are turning The locker will make noise and feel weird on the road. I ran them in an old K5 Blazer and didn't like it. I don't know about the JK but I can see where it could cause ESP issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I cannot speak from direct experience.....but from what I have read the JK doesn't like mechanical lockers in the rear due to the BLD. From what I understand the locker will mess with the BLD causing the ESP to engage which could explain the "chugging" feeling. You could turn off the ESP and see if you notice an improvement. I am sure somebody with more experience will chime in here.

This is true with 2012's and up if you have an automatic. If that's what you have, even turning off the ESP will only be a halfass fix that can still leave you in limp mode from time to time.

Utah_Jay

This is true with 2012's and up if you have an automatic. If that's what you have, even turning off the ESP will only be a halfass fix that can still leave you in limp mode from time to time.

I did not realize this only affected the 2012's and up. Does this mean an autolocker will work in an 07 automatic? Just curious now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did not realize this only affected the 2012's and up. Does this mean an autolocker will work in an 07 automatic? Just curious now.

I don't know for sure but I do believe it should work. What I know for sure is that Dynatrac tried running a Detroit in their 2013 and had a lot of issues. They made a long post about it here on the forum. I'm "pretty sure" they ran a similar setup on a pre-2012 JK before and without issue.

Jeepmed

I've thought of putting an Aussie in the front, but not sure how it will work when I drive in the snow. I occasionally drive up north to visit family and friends.

sblackf1

I've thought of putting an Aussie in the front, but not sure how it will work when I drive in the snow. I occasionally drive up north to visit family and friends.

I had front and rear Aussie lockers in a TJ before. Driving it in the snow was the second most scary thing I've experienced in a jeep (death wobble was first). I felt like was constantly hydroplaning. Outside of snow driving the lockers were great. Not sure how the new tech in a JK will treat it but I'm sure it'll be a headache in the snow as well.

Jeepmed

That's what I'm afraid of. I think I'd better spend more money on a selectable. Thank You. Sorry for the hijack.

croge17

I love a good mechanical locker... I have a 2013 MOAB JKU and have a yukon grizzly locker in the rear. You will randomly get a limp mode problem with these lockers when the wheel speed sensors dont read what they should when cornering. The main problem seems to be coasting when turning the wheel more than 180* while coasting or under light throttle. I would say in the 15k miles since installing i have only had the limp mode a dozen times and a simple cycle of the ignition is all it ttakes to cure it.

Top Bottom