EVO Bolt on CO's and front driveshaft clearance

Cadima

Hi guys, just bolted on but haven't tested yet the EVO front coil over kit. I notice now the coil overs allow more droop than my shocks did, enough so that my aftermarket front driveshaft will now hit that crossmember. Wont do it unless both sides of the axle are lowered to full drop. My coil overs have about one inch more drop left in them by the time the driveshaft meets the member.
I have a JKU auto. Anyone else seen this? Any advice on this? Thanks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How often are both sides of the axle going to be at full droop on the trail? Not often.

You can run exhaust spacers if you feel it's necessary. Friend of mine did that.

Cadima

How often are both sides of the axle going to be at full droop on the trail? Not often.

You can run exhaust spacers if you feel it's necessary. Friend of mine did that.

Exhaust not an issue as i think the prior owner already put exhaust spacers in. Just the crossmember is the issue. Not really sure if it will happen on the trail or not, but I don't like it. It also means everytime someone puts the jeep on a lift the driveshaft will be what limits droop. So at this point I am wondering if others have taken any extra measures.

My options I see are, in what I'd guess are in order of preference:

1) BFH to the crossmember at the interference point to see if I can hammer in the clearance.
2) Maybe modify the cross member by moving it rearward somehow.
3) Aftermarket skid (although I see all kinds of threads on new clearance issues from these so this demands more research)
4) Limit strap(s).

All of this assumes my driveshaft wont bind at full droop which I havent yet checked.

Spudcannons

I have the AFE crossover relocation and that moves the exhaust crossover behind the transfer case so its completely out of the way.
edit-missed new post.

have you check aftermarket cross-members? PS Clayton ect have them, one might give more clearance. I think overlander has a good point about the droop in real world use. It seems that would make contact very infrequently if ever and the infrequent contact would probably not be an issue. If you are really worried about damage use some limit straps so it doesnt make contact.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Exhaust not an issue as i think the prior owner already put exhaust spacers in. Just the crossmember is the issue. Not really sure if it will happen on the trail or not, but I don't like it. It also means everytime someone puts the jeep on a lift the driveshaft will be what limits droop. So at this point I am wondering if others have taken any extra measures.

My options I see are, in what I'd guess are in order of preference:

1) BFH to the crossmember at the interference point to see if I can hammer in the clearance.
2) Maybe modify the cross member by moving it rearward somehow.
3) Aftermarket skid (although I see all kinds of threads on new clearance issues from these so this demands more research)
4) Limit strap(s).

All of this assumes my driveshaft wont bind at full droop which I havent yet checked.

Sorry haven't had my coffee yet. Read that as crossover not crossmember.

Cadima

To be clear, the part that the driveshaft hits is that front most bar welded to the factory tranny skid which is in front of the exhaust.

Spudcannons

To be clear, the part that the driveshaft hits is that front most bar welded to the factory tranny skid which is in front of the exhaust.

O throw that in the trash, problem solved and put a protek tranny skid in there.

Edit- this is what I did ^

Top Bottom