Hi-Lift Jack Mounting Options

tonytony9

Hey Forums!

Before we even start this discussion, I think it needs to be said that this hi-lift will be purely for looks. I love off roading but this is my daily driver and I really am not able to bring it off roading often nor to any extent that would ever cause me to use the hi-lift jack.

I want to mount it onto my hood? Can anyone suggest the a good and cheap mount/Jack which I can mount onto my hood and the best place to buy it from? One which locks would be great so it doesn't get stolen but there are other ways to prevent this as well!

thanks!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434565088.377209.jpg

Like this

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have the ACE Engineering hood mounts and they work fine. They don't have a lock or anything but you could probably run a cable through them and through the jack lifting bar and secure it. Or a lock somehow. I haven't looked much into securing it yet.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434566143.690021.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434566170.653531.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434566208.358302.jpg

bonedaddy

does it eventually start to leave drip marks from rust or oils on your hood after being out in the weather with rain and/or snow?

I was just curious, something I always wondered about the hood mounts and leaving the on there...

I agree they do look badass though...

always liked this mounting option as well...

side-mount.jpg

Peak

Mounted mine to the roll bar using 2 fence clamps and wing nuts from Home Depot. Was less than $5.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434570153.320165.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434570187.197813.jpg

Utah_Jay

does it eventually start to leave drip marks from rust or oils on your hood after being out in the weather with rain and/or snow?

I was just curious, something I always wondered about the hood mounts and leaving the on there...

This is the single reason I will not mount one to the body. I can only imagine over time as rain develops and drips on to the body it will leave rust stains. Seems like you would need to stay on top of it, making sure it is washed and dried on a regular basis. With that said plenty of guys do it so who knows.........

Spudcannons

I keep mine under my back seat but I am moving it to the PSC body mount carrier when I buy some hardware to mount it.

DMF

I went with the Dominican hi lift mount. It mounts to the to of the rear roll cage. Doesn't work with a soft top though.

bonedaddy

I went with the Dominican hi lift mount. It mounts to the to of the rear roll cage. Doesn't work with a soft top though.

Across the top right? I like the attachment holders you can get as well...

Mine will be going under the rear seat in the bag so it doesnt tear carpet... I thought about getting the brackets to mount it behind the rear seat "crooked river offroad" brackets but they want more than I paid for the jack... I will attempt ro make my own, if not under the seat she goes...

I will let you all know if I make something worth a damn or not... ;)

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

View attachment 149302

Yeah the rust from the jack drips on the hood and then fender. It shows up on the white jeep fairly noticeable. I took it off the hood as I'm using it on another project. Right now it comes off with a slight rub. I am looking at purchasing a black one to go with the whole black/white theme I got going. I have thought about having this one sand blasted and powder coated and while I haven't priced it out, I can only imagine it will be more expensive to do that than to purchase another one in black. The cheapest I was quoted to powder coat my door hinges and hood hinges was $100.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Meant to add that this jack was given to me by my grandfather shortly after I graduated high school as a graduation present. He used them for so many things around the farm and bought it for me as I was starting to mess with the 4x4s. It's been in all of my 4x4 "toys" ever since. He passed away that summer so it was the last thing he ever gave me. It has some sentimental value and I'll never get rid of it and I kind of hate to have it redone just because he gave it to me. I know it really wouldn't matter but I feel like it would matter to me. Just wouldn't be the same.

bonedaddy

Shit my gramps never gave me jack...

Sorry i had to... ;)

Its a good tale to telI you kids and maybe pass it down to them - wouldnt let it go either...

LeighP

To the OP.....

Seriously? You want to hang a lump of steel on your hood hinge points for looks?

Check the size of the hinge point bolts and the pins in the hinges - since all the load will pass through these points in an accident. Consider the momentary 25+ G's of deceleration in a high speed accident and figure your hi-lift jack weighs a little over 30 pounds...but lets call it 30 pounds.....thats a peak momentary force applied to the hinge pin and mount bolts of 840 pounds.
I don't know about you, but I'll bet Jeep's engineers did not anticipate the design of the hinge pins on the hood standing up to an additional 840 pounds of force during an accident.......
My thoughts are the hi-lift you're adding to look cool stands a good chance of being turned into a missile after departing the hood mounts.

Please have a think about the possible side effects of your plan and the location you chose to mount the jack.

Hey, I know its just my opinion, but I've been involved in the maintenance and operation of military and civilian heavy aircraft for nearly 40 years, and stuff like this concerns me.

Siebermd

To the OP.....

Seriously? You want to hang a lump of steel on your hood hinge points for looks?

Check the size of the hinge point bolts and the pins in the hinges - since all the load will pass through these points in an accident. Consider the momentary 25+ G's of deceleration in a high speed accident and figure your hi-lift jack weighs a little over 30 pounds...but lets call it 30 pounds.....thats a peak momentary force applied to the hinge pin and mount bolts of 840 pounds.
I don't know about you, but I'll bet Jeep's engineers did not anticipate the design of the hinge pins on the hood standing up to an additional 840 pounds of force during an accident.......
My thoughts are the hi-lift you're adding to look cool stands a good chance of being turned into a missile after departing the hood mounts.

Please have a think about the possible side effects of your plan and the location you chose to mount the jack.

Hey, I know its just my opinion, but I've been involved in the maintenance and operation of military and civilian heavy aircraft for nearly 40 years, and stuff like this concerns me.

I was just talking about this to a fellow Jeeper yesterday. The lawsuit could be absolutely devastating. Not to mention what could happen should you get rear-ended and said missile comes through your windshield at your face. Yes these ideals may be thinking about things a little too much, however, better to be safe then sorry.

Hobolobo

Yeah the rust from the jack drips on the hood and then fender. It shows up on the white jeep fairly noticeable. I took it off the hood as I'm using it on another project. Right now it comes off with a slight rub. I am looking at purchasing a black one to go with the whole black/white theme I got going. I have thought about having this one sand blasted and powder coated and while I haven't priced it out, I can only imagine it will be more expensive to do that than to purchase another one in black. The cheapest I was quoted to powder coat my door hinges and hood hinges was $100.

I did all my hinges with a black acrylic enamel spray paint. Turned out very good. Cheap too. Just in case you wanted other suggestions.

bonedaddy

I was just talking about this to a fellow Jeeper yesterday. The lawsuit could be absolutely devastating. Not to mention what could happen should you get rear-ended and said missile comes through your windshield at your face. Yes these ideals may be thinking about things a little too much, however, better to be safe then sorry.

Funny I too have had the very same thought...

But if you gobthis route pay for quality mounts just incase ...

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
To the OP.....

Yeah cause those cheap ass u bolts people buy and bolt the hi lift to their roll bars couldn't possibly turn out the same way.

Top Bottom