Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo 3.8

Nothing but a Thing BlackHawk08jk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhunter050 View Post
    Any reasons why you wouldnt?
    Turbos are great when your doing things that allow the turbo to get spooled up and stay spooled up. Such as drag racing or truck and tractor pulling (I'm a diesel guy). But off road (rock crawling) you won't keep it spooled up so it won't really do you any good. If you plan to just blast across desert flats it would stayed spooled up but you would really have to watch you EGTs in that heat. For the price and what you would gain from it I would say it's not worth it. But it's your jeep your money so don't let me tell you what to do😁

Quote Originally Posted by JeepKeeper View Post
    I wouldn't run a turbo then because of the lag and added under hood heat. If you wanted to I would run a smaller turbo because it would spool quicker
    Even a small one would be hard to get spooled up fast enough for rock climbing. And when you tune an engine for a turbo they are gutless without it being spooled up. You are also right on the money with the heat, and the 3.8 already produces a lot of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk08jk View Post
    Even a small one would be hard to get spooled up fast enough for rock climbing. And when you tune an engine for a turbo they are gutless without it being spooled up. You are also right on the money with the heat, and the 3.8 already produces a lot of heat.
    And oil consumption...turbo would only accelerate it

Quote Originally Posted by JeepKeeper View Post
    And oil consumption...turbo would only accelerate it
    That's true especially since the jk runs such thin oil. It would probably burn 2 quarts between oil changes instead of just 1.

Knows a Thing or Two hhunter050's Avatar
    Thanks for all the info guys. Probably not going to do for practical reasons (I rock crawl) lol but let's be honest. It would be pretty damn cool to show up at a jeep meet with tge turbo whistling

Caught the Bug
    try 505performance...althought they don't have a turbo for the 3.8, they do have a stroker build for it,,,,3.9l and a 4.1l.... here's the link.... http://www.shop.505performance.com/c...?categoryId=23

their reviews are up and down,,,but before winter i'm going to look into the 4.1l build...

Run a ripp supercharger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12