F#@k your forum and f@#k you too

tech180

LOSER
So I was installing synergy axle sleeves in my Dana 44 and gave the sleeve one wack to many. It pushed in a little over a quarter to a half inch passed the lip of the factory tube. I was concerned maybe it pushed the inner axles seals out? Should I pull the carrier out and take a look? View attachment 149801

webdesign212@gmail.com

Last edited:

CJW

I'd open it up and look to make sure. Not familiar with these but I'd guess that if you knew how long the sleeve is you could measure that against the tube and have an idea for where the other end is.
Just a guess though.

tech180

LOSER
Here is an update. I pulled the carrier/locker out which was a bitch because it indeed did push the axle seal out and jammed it into the carrier, making it extremely hard to get out (5 foot pry bar did the trick). So if anyone makes the same mistake, you have to pull the carrier and get a new axle seal.

For the hell of it I set the carrier next to a 14b one I had sitting around, and the difference is pretty big. I cant wait to get a set of 1 tons built up for this sucker.

View attachment 149831

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sucks that you just went though all that work only to still have an axle housing that will bend.

tech180

LOSER
Sucks that you just went though all that work only to still have an axle housing that will bend.

I hear ya there. All my other rigs are dana 60 front and 14 bolt or dana 70 rear so I am not one of these guys who tells himself a front 44 is a strong enough axle (Been building 4x4s for a while now). Sleeves cost me $90 and I needed to correct some other stuff with this axle so figured why not. I am getting a set of super duty axles from a buddy and figured while im building those up I can still wheel the JK till im done with um ( I may use a shaved 14b for the rear instead). I have seen these 44s last for a wile if ya take it easy on um. If I want to get crazy I will just jump in my 1ton K5, or my 4 linked YJ with a big block and 1tons.

Last edited:

tech180

LOSER
Well another update here. Turns out this was not my fault. It turns out northridge4x4 sent me sleeves for a dana30 axle by mistake. My nightmare has just begun cause now the axle seal will not fit back into their homes due to the dana 30 sleeve being .75 inches longer then the 44 sleeve. When I was having a hard time gettin the sleeve in and gave it that last good wack, it was hung up on the seals and when the seal pressed out the sleeve went in to far. Well, I pushed the sleeve back out to be lush with the stock axle tunbes like the instructions said to do, and then welded it all up. Now I am really screwed, I have a welded in place sleeve that is to long. Now I have to figure out how to fix this, what a nightmare. Hammer in the sleeves and weld up and your done has turned into a pull the carrior out, get a new axle seal and figure out how to get this sleeve back out after its been welded! Hopefully northridge4x4 comes up with a good solution to fix their mistake.

Moral of this story is check your sleeves before installing them! Don't trust they sent you the correct one.

Last edited:

tech180

LOSER
I just wanted too add that I know its the wrong axle tube because I called synergy (Nice guys to deal with!) and gave them the part number, they verified it was for a dana 30 and longer. My invoice from northridge says its for a JK dana 44 however.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I just wanted too add that I know its the wrong axle tube because I called synergy (Nice guys to deal with!) and gave them the part number, they verified it was for a dana 30 and longer. My invoice from northridge says its for a JK dana 44 however.

So they buying you a new axle ?

mcsjk

Damn. Sounds like you may have to get creative to get that out. Did it push part of the sleeve back out?

tech180

LOSER
Northridge called and said they will fix the axle, but u have to ship it to them and wait. Not something I want to do. I'm already out 2 days of extra,work on this thing cause of it. They also said they will send me new sleeves, but I have to drill out the old ones, and that will be a TON of work. So far there is no good outcome for me.

Last edited:

thardy

Banned
Northridge called and said they will fix the axle, but u have to ship it to them and wait. Not something I want to do. I'm already out 2 days of extra,work on this thing cause of it. They also said they will send me new sleeves, but I have to drill out the old ones, and that will be a TON of work. So far there is no good outcome for me.

While I definitely understand the frustration, it sounds like Northridge has offered you a fairly nice deal. If I were you, I would have them do the work so that the liability falls on them.

RKJK10

shitty deal man... I would stop wasting my time on that one and get a D60... rebuild that one whenever you're bored and then sell it

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

I'm not familiar with sleeves at all, but can you cut the excess sleeve off enough to replace the seal?

tech180

LOSER
I am going to try and cut the sleeve down inside the axle tube (welded in place so I can't pull them out), well, thats if i can find a small enough cutoff wheel or another tool that can grind it down easy.

Last edited:

tech180

LOSER
While I definitely understand the frustration, it sounds like Northridge has offered you a fairly nice deal. If I were you, I would have them do the work so that the liability falls on them.

They where really apologetic about their mix up and atleast tried to help me out. They are cool guys and I will buy more stuff from um, Just frustrated I have to do all this work bacuase someone elses mess up.

Last edited:

tech180

LOSER
shitty deal man... I would stop wasting my time on that one and get a D60... rebuild that one whenever you're bored and then sell it

I'm all about that idea! Unfortunately, the wife is not, well she wont be when she sees how much it costs build one.

Last edited:

thardy

Banned
They where really apologetic about their mix up and atleast tried to help me out. They are cool guys and I will buy more stuff from um, Just frustrated I have to do all this work bacuase someone elses mess up.

I understand, but that's why I would make them fix it. I'm not a huge fan of sleeves to begin with, but I really don't know how confident I'd be with an axle that's been welded on, cut on, and then welded again. May be it's just me, but I'd feel more confident if Northridge did the work.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'm all about that idea! Unfortunately, the wife is not, well she wont be when she sees how much it costs build one.

Its a Rubicon right? Order a PR44 housing for the Rubicon internals, swap them, ship the old one out to get repaired, sell the repaired housing.

tech180

LOSER
Its a Rubicon right? Order a PR44 housing for the Rubicon internals, swap them, ship the old one out to get repaired, sell the repaired housing.

Good idea, but I looked up the pr44 housing and it's still $2500. Maybe northridge will hook a brutha up (doubt it). My jeep fund is taxed for the month unfortunately as I just bought evo double down long arm, skins and sliders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom