JK 44s, worth it?

OhNoTheJiggies

So I got offered a set of JK 44s, front and rear. Just the housing with balljoints and 4.10s. I plan to eventually run 37s... maybe 40s (but at that point I'll be placing an order from Dynatrac). So I wanted to see if anyone has any input... would cost me $400 for the set... good deal?

BigPrince

So I got offered a set of JK 44s, front and rear. Just the housing with balljoints and 4.10s. I plan to eventually run 37s... maybe 40s (but at that point I'll be placing an order from Dynatrac). So I wanted to see if anyone has any input... would cost me $400 for the set... good deal?

For $400 - absolutely, grab them and run.

Don't you own a JK? There would be no reason to buy the rear since it has no locker. Also, if the shafts and locker are not included, you are really just buying a 44 housing for the front so it is probably an average deal. Are you willing to spend the extra dough for shafts and lockers?

OhNoTheJiggies

Is a package deal so I'm willing to buy the set. I want to get a box full of acronyms for them (rse, ARBs, & RCVs) so I'm not worried about having to buy internals. Probably sell the rear and my stock front for a few bucks... but keep the diff cover that's on the ones I'm buying.

OhNoTheJiggies

It's a possibility that I'll hunt down some stock d44 internals for a little while, and if they last long enough, then I'll just upgrade to a pro rock setup

thardy

Banned
Is a package deal so I'm willing to buy the set. I want to get a box full of acronyms for them (rse, ARBs, & RCVs) so I'm not worried about having to buy internals. Probably sell the rear and my stock front for a few bucks... but keep the diff cover that's on the ones I'm buying.

I'd say buy them and sell the rear to buy your internals for the D44 front.

StrizzyChris

It'll be tough to sell a Rubicon D44 rear axle without the locker, so don't bank on that! I'd rather have a sport/sahara rear than a Rubi of I had to buy all the components.

Its a good deal, but only if you can do all of the work to rebuild them, and get a good deal on used Rubi internals to rebuild the front. Just be sure that the axle is not bent, all to common on our fat ass JKs

OhNoTheJiggies

It'll be tough to sell a Rubicon D44 rear axle without the locker, so don't bank on that! I'd rather have a sport/sahara rear than a Rubi of I had to buy all the components.

Its a good deal, but only if you can do all of the work to rebuild them, and get a good deal on used Rubi internals to rebuild the front. Just be sure that the axle is not bent, all to common on our fat ass JKs

Yeah, i got a sahara...
I'm not going to ask an arm and a leg for it, just try to make back a few bucks and put it toward the front axle... and sell my 30 and put those pennies toward the 44.
I'm going to go look at them later this week, guy said he'll hold them if I'm interested, so I just want to make sure they aren't too banged up or bent... bonus would be balljoints being in good shape (not counting on it lol)

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I wouldn't waste your money on them. Remember that a Rubicon 44 has the same axles tubes, knuckles etc as the D30. The only difference is your differential housing/ R&P size.

Spudcannons

I wouldn't waste your money on them. Remember that a Rubicon 44 has the same axles tubes, knuckles etc as the D30. The only difference is your differential housing/ R&P size.

^ Save for a PR44 or just bite the bullet and order one now since you want to upgrade anyway.

OhNoTheJiggies

Yeah I know :/ I'm just thinking that I could do a sleeve/gusset, and rcvs... since rcvs for a 44 are warrantied to 40" tires but rcvs for a 30 are only warrantied to 35"... decisions decisions

Top Bottom