D-rings. Do you leave them on?

Soylent

How many of you leave them on your bumper all the time. I just bought a set of Crosby D-rings with Daystar isolators and realized how easy they are to take off.

How many of you leave them on your bumper all the time. I just bought a set of Crosby D-rings with Daystar isolators and realized how easy they are to take off.

Depends on the Jeep. The wife's which is a DD, No. Mine, which is mostly a toy, Yes.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

I personally keep mine in the Jeep in my recovery gear bag. When I get to the trail and air down, I will usually put a ring on front and rear. The main reasons I keep them stowed is a) they seem pretty easy to steal, and b) I like to keep rattles to a minimum. :)

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I leave mine on all of the time. I usually tighten them down and then when I do actually get to go offroad I will loosen them back up. Usually it takes pliers or something to loosen them. So I'm basically just hoping no body will take them. I have a few extra I keep in the jeep though so if somebody does take them I'm covered. That is as long as I didn't need all of them! Lol.

I don't hear them rattling that much really. So that's not an issue for me.

They would be fairly easy to steal though.

Damn thieves.

REKLESS-RED

Mine is a DD and i leave them on all the time. I have quality d rings in my recovery bag that i use when on the trail. The rings i leave on for my DD are cheaper and already come colored, so if they do get stolen im not heartbroken, but they do look good and for some reason they do not rattle. (added bonus, after one winter the threads rust together and then are a bitch to remove - good luck thieves)
20150628_132542.jpg

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I use to leave them on all the time but after rattling down the dirt roads at KOH I realized that one of them came loose and fell off. I now jeep them inside and will only put them on when needed. A friend of mine suggested that if I leave them on to wrap a wire between the pin and shackle to keep them from unscrewing.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
HTML:
I personally keep mine in the Jeep in my recovery gear bag. When I get to the trail and air down, I will usually put a ring on front and rear. The main reasons I keep them stowed is a) they seem pretty easy to steal, and b) I like to keep rattles to a minimum. :)

^^This^^.......I had 2 sets stolen by some neighborhood kids and almost a 3rd but I caught them in the act.......I called the police and they in turn ended up calling the parents to pick them up.......I never pressed charges and one of the parents brought their kid back to return the other 2 sets they had stolen......lesson learned by them and by myself as well.......Now i keep mine in my recovery bag under the back seat to eliminate the possibility of it happening again....

~Woodrow~

Armydog

I leave all four on all the time. They look good. Honestly I only drive the jeep to work and when I want to go for a Saturday night ice cream cone with the dogs......so no real risk of getting them stolen.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435695534.011686.jpg

And the occasional parade of course........'Merica

Utah_Jay

I keep mine in my recovery gear. Occasionally I will put them on before I run a trail if I think they may be needed in a hurry.

Havoc40

I leave mine on all the time. My Jeep has been broken into a few times at work. Not that I'm complaining but, they always left the d-rings and Rigids alone :idontknow:. Could be that I work near Detroit and they don't have a clue what to do with them.

My house is in a very nice/upscale area and if it doesn't consist of a catching buzz, most kids don't want anything to do with it around here. Mommy and Daddy buy them everything else. So I don't worry about much, just remember to bring the cooler in at night!!

TwistedJK

I keep mine on all the time, and honestly have never thought about them until this thread. Ironically, some local Dirtonans stole my business magnetic signs with my name and phone number on the side. They then committed multiple vehicle burglaries with my signs on a stolen trail blazer. They fled from police in a high speed chase until the wrecked the suv. But nobody has ever messed with my d-rings or other external accessories. I also use daystar isolators too.

SFNick

I leave mine on mainly because I have a Poison Spyder BFH front bumper & with the D-Rings Poison Spyder sales it's almost impossible to put them on or take them off without removing the winch first. Either way D-rings are cheap take them off leave them on it doesn't matter.

Rharvey160

I leave mine on all the time. I used a 12" crescent wrench to tighten them up so no one going to walk up and remove by hand or with a pair of pliers.

BlkOpsCzr

I leave mine on all the time. I tightened them with a wrench then ran a zip tie through the hole in the screw and around the D-Ring. The thief would have to have more then a simple tool to remove them. I don't think the zip tie does much except add an additional step in removal. I'll probably go with heavy gauge wire once I pick some up.

Right Rudder

I leave D rings in the recovery bag, but I'm a bit sensitive to the whole thieving aspect since i recently got my entire toolbox stolen when a window got smashed out of my hard top when my wife took the Jeep to work at her school. I also run a pretty beastly bike lock through my tire carrier and wheel holes to attach it to the vehicle with more than standard lugs.

At least where I'm located i do as little to motivate a smash and grab as possible including not taking tools or anything of value with me unless I'm going on a dedicated wheeling trip.

tharb5111

Tighten them up hard with the wrench. Always on.

Attachments

• 1437270336114.jpg
    1437270336114.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 1437270369146.jpg
    1437270369146.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 124

Bosunmate

I keep mine on the bumpers all the time. I also tighten them down. Mine don't rattle. I can't hear to good. Maybe they do rattle.

Top Bottom