Pinion nut removal

Jtmw

So I got an aftermarket shaft for my front end. I have been trying to get the front pinion nut out for a few hours. Can't seem to either get enough power or maybe I'm missing something. Im running 90 psi impact wrench with a ratchet strap on one of the holes in the OEM yoke to help keep it still. I've tried that, and standing on a breaker bar it wont get any rotation on the nut. With the breaker bar method I the yoke rotates a bit and i cant get it not to.

Any tips? I've already done some web searching and read the project jk write up. Seems like its more effortless for everyone. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, Is there anything I can do to keep the yoke from rotating?

Well, you can try to have someone stand on the brake but being that you're are needing so much force, I would place a big monkey wrench on the yoke and let the handle end jam itself on the ground. If needed, you can add a pipe to the end of it to help reach the ground.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
So I got an aftermarket shaft for my front end. I have been trying to get the front pinion nut out for a few hours. Can't seem to either get enough power or maybe I'm missing something. Im running 90 psi impact wrench with a ratchet strap on one of the holes in the OEM yoke to help keep it still. I've tried that, and standing on a breaker bar it wont get any rotation on the nut. With the breaker bar method I the yoke rotates a bit and i cant get it not to.

Any tips? I've already done some web searching and read the project jk write up. Seems like its more effortless for everyone. :thinking:

Effortless? Definitely NOT in my case. Getting that nut off was pretty tough when I switched out my driveshaft. I used my friends impact air gun and a lot of huffing, puffing and cussing to get it off. I think we had more than 90 psi working for us...seems more like 150. Maybe see if you can get your hands on something with more torque. You might spray some PF blaster or similar lube on it and let it sit overnight to help. As I said, I didn't find it easy to loosen and I'm sure others have had similar experiences with it. Good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
psi is only part of the equation. SCFM is really what will get the nut off. You typically want a compressor with a 25 gallon capacity or more to get the SCFM you need.

Jtmw

Effortless? Definitely NOT in my case. Getting that nut off was pretty tough when I switched out my driveshaft. I used my friends impact air gun and a lot of huffing, puffing and cussing to get it off. I think we had more than 90 psi working for us...seems more like 150. Maybe see if you can get your hands on something with more torque. You might spray some PF blaster or similar lube on it and let it sit overnight to help. As I said, I didn't find it easy to loosen and I'm sure others have had similar experiences with it. Good luck!

Well, you can try to have someone stand on the brake but being that you're are needing so much force, I would place a big monkey wrench on the yoke and let the handle end jam itself on the ground. If needed, you can add a pipe to the end of it to help reach the ground.

Is the transfer case nut any easier? I didnt even take a whack at it today.

utiadam

LOSER
I tried using my digital 1/2" snap on torque wrench to loosen to see what it was actually torqued to but was unable to loosen it. I ended up just going off of the number of threads visible when installing the new one. I used a 1/2" IR Titanium impact and it came off fairly easy. I think we are running around 135 psi but not sure on the scfm.

Jtmw

I tried using my digital 1/2" snap on torque wrench to loosen to see what it was actually torqued to but was unable to loosen it. I ended up just going off of the number of threads visible when installing the new one. I used a 1/2" IR Titanium impact and it came off fairly easy. I think we are running around 135 psi but not sure on the scfm.

Thanks, Im going out tomorrow to my friends shop who's whos got a bigger tank than i do should run more PSI and SCFM.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I know this is a helluva thread resurrection, but how the hell do I get the pinion nut off without access to power tools or monkey wrench? Transfer case side came off no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom