Tow rig tires?

NV375

I will need to replace the tires on my RAM 3500 diesel 4x4 by this winter. I think my NITO Trail Graplers are great on my JKUR. I am reluctant to use a tire with such a soft compound on a heavy tow rig. I would really like to have the winter snow rating. Mostly highway with plenty of dessert dirt/sand roads mixed in. Thanks for any input.

asullivan920

Running Toyo open country AT2's on my 2012 Ram 2500. Use them for towing my snowmobile trailer into mountains of UT, ID, MT, & WY. Was on the road many mornings before the snow plows and tires did great. During the summer I also tow my 12K lbs camper to primitive locations (sandy,loose dirt, and gravel) with no problems. They aren't loud and are wearing well after 20K miles I would say they still have 3/4 tread. I have them in a 285/70/R17 which fill the wheel well great and don't rub. Huge improvement over the stock 245's.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I had a set of the BFG ATs on my crew cab dodge diesel I use to own. Don't remember the exact size but they were basically a 33 and a load range E. They were awesome. I'd run them again on a 4x4 that sees mostly pavement but needs an "aggressive" AT tire.

NV375

Running Toyo open country AT2's on my 2012 Ram 2500. Use them for towing my snowmobile trailer into mountains of UT, ID, MT, & WY. Was on the road many mornings before the snow plows and tires did great. During the summer I also tow my 12K lbs camper to primitive locations (sandy,loose dirt, and gravel) with no problems. They aren't loud and are wearing well after 20K miles I would say they still have 3/4 tread. I have them in a 285/70/R17 which fill the wheel well great and don't rub. Huge improvement over the stock 245's.

Did you do anything to correct the speedometer?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I will need to replace the tires on my RAM 3500 diesel 4x4 by this winter. I think my NITO Trail Graplers are great on my JKUR. I am reluctant to use a tire with such a soft compound on a heavy tow rig. I would really like to have the winter snow rating. Mostly highway with plenty of dessert dirt/sand roads mixed in. Thanks for any input.

Dually or single rear wheel?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Single rear wheel. Current (stock) 265s on 17s

I'd recommend running Toyo AT2s, the new BFG KO2s, or maybe a commercial all-terrain like the BFG Commercial Traction T/A or Firestone makes a good all terrain for heavy trucks, the Transforce AT

Dirt Foot

I got 55k out of a set of Dick Cepek Fun Country 2 on a F350 srw. They rode sweet and we're quiet. Great in sand too.

Gmwelder86

I'm a big fan of the Goodyear wranglers with silent armor although I think they changed the name on them last year. Had three sets on two different vehicles one on a wj and two on my tundra. On the tundra got 50 miles on the first set and the secondsame were on it when I traded it in on the jk. Awe some wet and ice traction, decent mud for an AT and wore well. A set will be going on the gf's truck when it's time for tires.

SaddleTramp

Hey Dave,

I think Mel is running the newer Nitto Exo Grappler AWT's on their tow rig, check those out, recommended them to my father and he loves them up in WYO on his F-250.

NV375

Hey Dave,

I think Mel is running the newer Nitto Exo Grappler AWT's on their tow rig, check those out, recommended them to my father and he loves them up in WYO on his F-250.

I will have to check what sizes are available now. I have been wanting to try since I first saw the thread about them. I don't do massive amounts of snow driving but a few days a year I find myself up north in a storm.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Hey Dave,

Nitto also makes the Dura Grappler which is designed for trucks that are used for the purpose you're using yours...towing and hauling. Not necessarily an all terrain, but if your tow rig is a 4x4, you'd be fine if it's mostly highway driving.

BadApple

I'm running the Terra grappler g2s on my silverado and loving them they take the weight well and aren't noisey

big dr

My Hankook Dynapros have made me very happy on my 3500 diesel. I actually like them more than the BFG A/T's I replaced them with. They ride nice, they are quiet, and reasonably priced. They also have some nice siping in the tread, so I imagine they will make a good winter tire.

NV375

Thanks for the input. I will ask about the tires mentioned next time I make it to DT. I need a rotation and before it will be due again they will probably be to the wear bars.

NV375

Looks like I will will be going with BFG KO2s. I should have asked my wife first before the forum. She stopped by DT today and we can get them for $215 each in 265/70-R17 our stock size.

Top Bottom