Rock Hard 4x4 JK Sport Cage Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

The Jeep JK Wrangler comes with a factory roll cage that works well enough to protect you in an accident or a minor roll over but, if you're out there playing on big rocks, off camber ledges or hard and fast in the desert, you might want to consider adding a bit more structure and support. While a full blown welded in replacement cage would be optimal, there are some good bolt in "sport" cage options available that work in conjunction to the factory setup and do well in the event of a roll over. Of the options out there, I personally would recommend the one made by Rock Hard 4x4 Parts. In addition to being reasonably priced, I have found that the Rock Hard Sport Cage to be one of the easiest options to install and to be one that makes no noise. It's also the only kit that I've seen after a significant roll over and can tell you is that it held up exceptionally well and did an outstanding job of protecting it's occupants.

The write-up below will show you what it takes to get installed.

What You Will Need:
Rock Hard JK Sport Cage - RH1030
• 7/32" Allen Wrench
• 1/4" Allen Wrench
• 9/16" Wrench
• 13mm Socket
• Torx T-50 Bit
• Torx T-15 Driver
• Ratchet
• Unibit or Small Metal Drilling Bit
• 7/16" Metal Drilling Bit
• Power Drill
• Center Punch
• Utility Knife
• Scissors
• Hack Saw
• Tape Measure

Installation:
This is a shot of everything you should get with your Rock Hard Sport Cage 4-Door kit:
main.php

1. To being this install, you'll want to remove your front doors. Roll down all your windows. Then, using a Torx T-50 bit, remove the nuts located on the base of each of your JK's door hinges as shown in this pic.
main.php

2. The plug for the front door wiring is located under your dash and is locked in place. In order to remove this plug, you will need to first slide the red locking tab over to the side as shown in this pic. (Photo shows the plug already removed so that you can get a better look at what everything looks like).
main.php

3. Press the release tab on the end of the wiring harness plug and then wiggle it side to side while pulling down until it comes free.
main.php

4. Pull the strap up off the door strap retaining hook and then, carefully lift your door up and off the hinges. The front doors can be quite heavy especially if you have automatic windows and locks. Carefully set your door aside and repeat process on the opposite side.
main.php

5. If you have a soft top, you'll want to open it up and fold back at least the Sunrider portion of it. If you have a hard top, you'll want to remove the Freedom Top panels now. If you have a 4-door and got the complete Rock Hard kit for it, you will need to completely lower your soft top or remove your hard top.

Opening up the Sunrider Instructions
Removing the Freedom Top Panel Instructions

6. Using a Torx T-15 Driver, remove the 2 screws securing your sun visors to the windshield frame.
main.php

7. Remove the sun visor and set it aside for now.
main.php

8. Using a Phillips Screwdriver, carefully remove the plastic retaining screw securing the A-Piller trim to the windshield frame.
main.php

9. The A-Pillar trim is held in by retaining clips and push pins. Hold the 2 trim pieces firmly and pull them away from the windshield frame until they separate.
main.php

main.php

10. If you have a 2007-10 JK, you can remove the side vents simply by rotating the outer ring and then pulling the whole piece out. If you have a 2011-Up, proceed to Step #11.
main.php

11. With the vents removed, you can easily pop the dash side panels out as shown. If you have a 2011-Up, you will need to use a trim pry tool or thin flathead screwdriver to remove the side panels.
main.php

12. Using a 13mm socket, remove the 2 bolts securing the windshield support bars to the windshield frame.
main.php

13. Install the Rock Hard side bars along the side of your dash. To do this, you will need to lower the tip of its base in between the door frame and dash and then rotate inward a bit. The factory windshield support bars will get in the way and prevent this from going in as easily as you may want but, a little bump will get it to go in.
main.php

14. Using the factory bolts, secure the Rock Hard side bars to the windshield frame as shown. You will need a 13mm socket for this job.
main.php

15. Place the template provided with the kit onto the edge of the door frame and mark off the points where you will need to drill your holes. Take extra time double checking things and making sure you have the template positioned correctly. Failure to do this right the first time will make this job a lot harder to wrap up.
main.php

16. Use a center punch to mark off the drilling points, unbolt the Rock Hard side bars from the windshield frame and then remove them from your Jeep.
main.php

17. Using a 13mm socket, remove the 3 bolts securing your front door upper hinges as shown.
main.php

18. Body paint may keep the hinge itself attached to your Jeep. Simply pry it off and set the hinge aside for now.
main.php

19. Using a Unibit or a small metal drilling bit, drill pilot holes on the points where you had marked off eariler.
main.php

20. Finish up the holes with a 7/16" metal drilling bit.
main.php

21. Reinstall the passenger side Rock Hard side bar and loosely secure it in place with the factory bolts.
main.php

22. Using the 3/8"x1 button head bolts provided with the kit, secure the passenger side Rock Hard side bar to the door frame. You will need a 7/32" Allen Wrench for this job.
main.php

23. Carefully lay the Rock Hard dash bar across your dash and then, using one of the standard rounded clamps and bolts provided, loosely attach it to the passenger side Rock Hard side bar as shown. You will need a 1/4" Allen Wrench to thread in the bolts.
main.php

24. Reinstall the driver side Rock Hard side bar making sure that the dash bar is situated on it. Loosely secure the side bar onto the windshield frame using the factory bolts and to the door frame using the provided 3/8"x1 button head bolts. Using one of the clamps and bolts provided with the kit, loosely secure the dash bar as shown.
main.php

25. Go back through and tighten all the Rock hard side bar bolts (3 on each side) as well as all the windshield frame bolts (2 on each side). Reinstall the factory door hinges using the factory bolts. You will need a 7/32" Allen Wrench and 13mm socket for these jobs.
main.php

26. Finish installing all the dash bar clamp bolts and tighten them down.
main.php

27. Unzip the roll bar padding cover from the windshield support bars.
main.php

28. The padding on the windshield support bars are held in with push tab. Grab it firmly and pull down to remove.
main.php

29. Install the Rock Hard top front bar onto the windshield support bars and push it forward till it stops at the welded on gussets.
main.php

30. Hold the roll bar padding back up to where it was installed and mark where it'll need to be trimmed to clear the Rock Hard top front bar clamps.
main.php

31. Use a utility knife to trim the windshield support bar padding as shown.
main.php

32. Hold the roll bar padding cover up to the Rock Hard front top bar and mark the approximate position of it on the cover. Then, use a pair of scissors to cut a hole in the padding cover as shown.
main.php

33. Slip the Rock Hard top front bar through the holes you just cut out in the roll bar padding cover.
main.php

34. Reinstall the trimmed down windshield support bar padding.
main.php

35. Locate the 2 clamps that are tappered on the inside lip as shown (NOTE: On some kits, these clamps are flat on the outside) and then secure the top front bar in place using the bolts provided. A 1/4" Allen Wrench will be needed for this job.
main.php

main.php

36. Zip up the roll bar padding cover.
main.php

37. Using a 10mm socket or driver, remove the 6 bolts securing the soundbar to the B-Pillar roll bar.
main.php

main.php

38. Place the Rock Hard front center bars onto the front top bar and B-Pillar roll bar. Use a tape measure and make sure that it's centered.
main.php

39. Use the front center bars as a template and mark off the positions where you will need to drill.
main.php

40. Remove the front center bars and then drill 7/16" holes all the way through to the bottom of the B-Pillar roll bar at the points you had marked.
main.php

41. Place the center bars back onto the front top bar and B-Pillar roll bar making sure that the holes are lined up and then secure it in place using the provided clamps and bolts. You will need a 1/4" Allen Wrench for this job.
main.php

42. Place the Rock Hard rear center bars on top of the front center bar mounting plate and on the rear most factory cross bar and then use it as a template to mark off where you will need to cut.
main.php

43. If you have a 4-door Unlimited and bought the complete kit, unzip the roll bar padding cover on the rear most factory cross bar.
main.php

44. Separate the rear dome light wiring from the top of the cross bar as shown.
main.php

45. Use a utility knife or scissors to cut a slit in the roll bar padding cover to allow the rear center bar to slip through it.
main.php

46. Slip the rear center bars through the roll bar padding cover then place it on top of the rear most cross over bar
main.php

47. Separate the padding from the roll bar just enough to give you room to work and then loosely secure the rear center bars using the hardware provided. You will need a 7/32" Allen Wrench and 9/16" wrench for this job.
main.php

48. Using the hardware provided, secure the front and rear center bars to the B-Pillar roll bar. You will need a 7/32" Allen Wrench and 9/16" wrench for this job.
main.php

main.php

49. Tighten down the rear bolts on the rear center bar, push the padding back in place and then zip everything back up.
main.php

50. If you have a hard top, you will need to trim the inner lip of holes on your sound bar where the Freedom Top hold down screws go.
main.php

51. Using the factory hardware, reinstall your sound bar. You will need a 10mm socket or driver for this job.
main.php

main.php

52. If you have a soft top, you will need to trim the forward edge of your door surround hold down clamps a bit as shown. This is necessary in order for them to clear the Rock Hard top front cross bar clamp. This can be done with a Dremel and cut off wheel or hacksaw.
main.php

main.php

Reinstall your vent baffles and sun visor using the factory screws and aside from cleaning up, you should be done. Photos of everything installed can be found below:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
These are some shots of Moby soon after getting his Rock Hard Sport Cage installed a few years back. I'm posting up these because I used his shots for this write-up :cool:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

CB Mount
For those of you looking for a way to mount a full size CB radio on your new Rock Hard Sport Cage, I would recommend that you pick up a KC 7307 Light mount from your local 4WheelParts store or the like.
main.php

This will clamp onto the front top bar of your Rock Hard Sport Cage and will even fit in between the center bars as shown.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Piece of cake to install, pushes your CB further forward and looks great too.

Donny

In the two pictures just before the CB mount section...can you say why the dash is scraped up where the dash meets the cage? On their website the same thing accured in their photos. can that be avoided?

Donny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In the two pictures just before the CB mount section...can you say why the dash is scraped up where the dash meets the cage? On their website the same thing accured in their photos. can that be avoided?

Donny

First off, this is only a problem with 2007-10 JK's, not 2011-Up. And, yes, I have found that it can be avoided. What you need to do is take a 3 lb hammer and flatten the bottom lip of the windshield support bar. This will give you enough clearance to get the side support bar installed without grinding into the dash.

SAR JK

A-Pillar Trim

Great write up. :clap2: It is very comforting reading your write ups before doing my own mods.
I saw that you did not reinstall the plastic A-pillar covers. Was this a personal style choice? Are the A-pillar covers able to go back on?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great write up. :clap2: It is very comforting reading your write ups before doing my own mods.
I saw that you did not reinstall the plastic A-pillar covers. Was this a personal style choice? Are the A-pillar covers able to go back on?

in order to put them back on, you would have to do some trimming of the upper piece. it's not that big of a deal to me to leave well enough alone and it's how i have it on moby. i may or may not put them back on rubicat.

Charlie Mike

Sweet! Nice write up.

Everywhere I've looked for this, I've only seen the sport cage unpainted. Any places that sell it painted in black? Or do I have to take it to place to get it done?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Charlie Mike said:
Sweet! Nice write up.

Everywhere I've looked for this, I've only seen the sport cage unpainted. Any places that sell it painted in black? Or do I have to take it to place to get it done?

The Rockhard comes unfinished as does the Poison Spider. ORFab may come powdercoated.

I had mine painted white and flat black.

image-2462340943.jpg

J.B.

A-Pillar Trim

Will the A-Pillar trim still fit. I have rocker switches mounted on my A-Pillar. Can I still use this or will the switches on my A-Pillar trim need to be relocated for clearance?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Will the A-Pillar trim still fit. I have rocker switches mounted on my A-Pillar. Can I still use this or will the switches on my A-Pillar trim need to be relocated for clearance?

Did you read the thread? It was right above your post.:thinking:

in order to put them back on, you would have to do some trimming of the upper piece. it's not that big of a deal to me to leave well enough alone and it's how i have it on moby. i may or may not put them back on rubicat.

MTG

Caught the Bug

It depends on where your switches are mounted...

The bottom part of the A-pillar trim is left untouched. The top portion is what would need trimmed to fit. You can see it in the picture I posted above.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Top Bottom