GPS tracker on Jeep

trailless

Caught the Bug
It really is the last thing you want to think about, a stolen Jeep. It comes up every now and then and I just keep thinking what if they had a GPS tracker on that Jeep.

I know a GPS tracker on the OBD II port will be easily spotted and disabled. What about a hard wired gps hidden inside of the jeep somewhere. This will give you the latest place the GPS pinged and will give you an idea of where the thieves are headed.

It's just an idea I wanted to share.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Maybe a cheap cell phone with gps that you just leave in it and charge once in a while.

Hahahahha. Yep, being that it probably came into focus for you today from my Jeep getting stolen, I've already been working through some ideas.... May just be the spark to something.

DMF

Viper Smart Start is a good GPS tracking device. Nothing is bullet proof but at least you can track it from your phone until the thief has time to disable it.

Tree Frog

Does anyone here have any experience with the Mopar anti theft device called EVTS?
(was not sure if I could post the link to Mopars web site on it or not.)

Just search for Mopar anti theft device.

It was not offered or discussed with us in 2013 when we purchased our Jeep.

As far as price goes MSRP of 459.00 for the part and who knows what it takes to put it in. Cant be that hard, but may have to be programmed into Starscan or some "Dealer only" kind of thing. (It always is)

Brankz

It really is the last thing you want to think about, a stolen Jeep. It comes up every now and then and I just keep thinking what if they had a GPS tracker on that Jeep.

I know a GPS tracker on the OBD II port will be easily spotted and disabled. What about a hard wired gps hidden inside of the jeep somewhere. This will give you the latest place the GPS pinged and will give you an idea of where the thieves are headed.

It's just an idea I wanted to share.

Hide a iPhone somewhere in your jeep make a power outlet or something like that and connect a iPhone.

Download the find my iPhone app and you are set free gps tracking when ever you want for cheap

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
anyone ever install a switch to disable the electrical systems in a vehicle? Something hidden, and not easily figured out by a car thief is what I'm thinking. But still simple to turn off and on.

Edit: Still, if someone tows your Jeep while you aren't looking, you'd want to have some sort of gps to track it.

Spudcannons

anyone ever install a switch to disable the electrical systems in a vehicle? Something hidden, and not easily figured out by a car thief is what I'm thinking. But still simple to turn off and on.

Edit: Still, if someone tows your Jeep while you aren't looking, you'd want to have some sort of gps to track it.

Mad max style kill switch sequence?

Krystianjk

I have the Mopar GPS tracker installed already when I got my jeep and it works really well and accurate too it tells you how fast you are going and where exactly the vehicle is

fmdualexhaust

Years back, I bought a new Toyota truck. Had the dealer install a spring loaded toggle switch which had to be engaged for the starter to work. Also installed a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump that was easily accessible.

helhelen

Banned
Viper Smart Start is a good GPS tracking device on jeep. Nothing is bullet proof but at least you can track it from your phone until the thief has time to disable it.

Anti-theft hidden GPS is essential. Mine is POKEMON, the positioning function is very accurate. The disadvantage is that it is paid monthly. The advantage is its powerful battery life. I have used it for 2 weeks and the battery life is 79%. It also has a power saving mode, which definitely allows it to last more than 4 weeks.:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
Anti-theft hidden GPS is essential. Mine is POKEMON, the positioning function is very accurate. The disadvantage is that it is paid monthly. The advantage is its powerful battery life. I have used it for 2 weeks and the battery life is 79%. It also has a power saving mode, which definitely allows it to last more than 4 weeks.:beer:

Your reputation here again is flawless. I'm in. Where do I sign up? I was a little suspicious at first, but seeing that you just bumped a 4 year old thread, I know you're legit.

Last edited:

AZVAJKU

Hooked
I have a Spot Trace on my Jeep. It’s hardwired into the Jeep and has a battery backup. It sends me a daily status message via text and email with the Jeep’s position. It will also notify me when it moves and provides me it’s location every 5 minutes while it moves. I have driven from East Coast to West Coast as well as on multiple trails at Moab and it shows the position every 5 minutes. I pay a yearly subscription for this. I have been very happy with it.

Top Bottom