Rear brake line rubbing on shocks and rear diff leaking.

WillyJKU14

Ok so I got back from Big Bear Friday ran Dishpan Springs and Holcomb Creek. Cleaned up the jeep Saturday. Went underneath to check out any damage.

I saw a groove in my right rear shock was messing with that then saw a rub mark in my brake line. Luckily it hasn't gone thru to leak fluid. So do I need to reposition my reservoir or just move the brake line to a new position?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436146881.856540.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436146897.505926.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436146914.633235.jpg

Also noticed that my rear diff has a slow leak. Nothing has dripped. I touched the bottom and noticed it was wet with fluid. When I wipe it off and check back a few hours later it's wet again. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436147009.141767.jpg

I just did my first differential fluid change at 15k. So I didn't pull the cover. I think I may have just snagged the lip on some rocks. So my question is do I go ahead and upgrade my covers? Or do I just remove it clean it up and re seal it back on to see if it will still hold?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can reroute your brake lines to a better location.

For the diff cover, hit the bent piece with a BFH and tighten the bolts. Call it a day.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I doubt the brake line rubbing did that to reservoir. Are you sure your sway bar isn't hitting the reservoir when flexed? I'd try to put reservoirs on inside of shock if you can, that's how my coilovers are.

As for the diff cover, "The Right Stuff" by permatex has always worked great for me. Make sure the lip isn't hanging below the cast diff. Very common for it to do that and get peeled back by a rock

Last edited:

WillyJKU14

I doubt the brake line rubbing did that to reservoir. Are you sure your sway bar isn't hitting the reservoir when flexed? I'd try to put reservoirs on inside of shock if you can, that's how my coilovers are.

As for the diff cover, "The Right Stuff" by permatex has always worked great for me. Make sure the lip isn't hanging below the cast diff. Very common for it to do that and get peeled back by a rock

Well the brake line is rubbed to the metal. It matched up to where the rub on the shock is. Idk I'm gonna move my reservoirs to the inside.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You could try just tightening it. You probably torn the rtv seal inside. If tightening it doesn't work then remove it and reseal. Doesn't hurt to try tightening it first.

Just remember what size bolt you are working with... I cringe every-time I torque them because it feels like I'm about to pull threads. Chances are the lip is the issue and the bolts are still tight. If they are loose the only good reason for this will be thread stretch. Especially since you mentioned you have never taken the cover off.

MotoMatthew

My rear diff did that. I scraped off a little of the oem rtv. Tried the bfh route but no joy. I swapped in a lube locker gasket and no problems.

Top Bottom