Evo ProTek skids install

dillard09

Hey guys, I just purchased the full ProTek skids for my 08 auto. So how is the install on these? I know the oil pan skid will be a piece of cake but what about the rest? Any tips or tricks? Thanks for your help guys.

dillard09

Swivel head 16mm ratcheting wrench. Check! Thanks Panda!
How much different is the 12-15 from the 07-11s? I see eddie write up was on a 12.

Panda

Swivel head 16mm ratcheting wrench. Check! Thanks Panda!
How much different is the 12-15 from the 07-11s? I see eddie write up was on a 12.

Sorry just noticed your an 08, I think it's still pretty much the same steps

jango

When installing the oil pan skid be very careful on retorqueing your bolts. I installed this system and actually snapped off a bolt head. other then that, pretty straight forward.

dillard09

Gotcha Jango. Aluminum pan be very very careful not to over torque. So is a floor jack required or will a bottle jack do? So should I start will oil pan and work back or what?

OscarMike2.0

When installing the oil pan skid be very careful on retorqueing your bolts. I installed this system and actually snapped off a bolt head. other then that, pretty straight forward.

X2 on this. I was with jango when this happened and even after seeing his break and being very careful not to do the same I still had a bolt break off.

jango

Gotcha Jango. Aluminum pan be very very careful not to over torque. So is a floor jack required or will a bottle jack do? So should I start will oil pan and work back or what?

Bottle jack would do I would think. You may want to add a piece of 2x4 between the jeep and jack to get a wider contact area when jacking it up.
Oscarmike2.0 and I both started at our oil pans first and work our way back if I remember correctly. Then finished bolting everything together and came through after with a torque wrench.

dillard09

10-4. That's what I was thinking was start at the oil pan and work to the back and then come back with torque wrench. So is the auto tranny skid similar to the oil pan?

Go front to rear otherwise you will be fighting yourself and blocking the parts you need to get to.

The transmission skid spans from ears on the oil pan skid to the cross-member. (thus the reason the oil pan skid needs to be on first) The cross-member skid is easiest to go on last as it will make accessing the transmission skid bolts at the cross-member more difficult once in place.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I dont know if the instructions are anywhere close to the same on the older ones as my 14 but dont be a dumbass like me and read the instructions 15 million times while laying on your back under the jeep, along with reading eddies write up online several million times on your i phone while laying on your back under the jeep, have a major issue of trying to figure out how to get the rear holes on the tranny skid plate to go between the tranny and the cross member when it says DONT lift the tranny past the studs. Only to finally realize you only need to lift it to gain access to slip the skid plate in place and that it sets on top of the tranny mounting plate instead of between. I sure felt like a dumbass. Guess I was due though, havent had one of those moments in a while. LOL.

Read the instructions several times and kept overlooking one word. :doh:

dillard09

Haha! Been there done that! I have done that a time or two. I'm was hoping with age comes wisdom but I seem to be exempt from that. That's why I'm gathering as much info as I can before the skids even get here. Thank you for the info!

RTillery

I dont know if the instructions are anywhere close to the same on the older ones as my 14 but dont be a dumbass like me and read the instructions 15 million times while laying on your back under the jeep, along with reading eddies write up online several million times on your i phone while laying on your back under the jeep, have a major issue of trying to figure out how to get the rear holes on the tranny skid plate to go between the tranny and the cross member when it says DONT lift the tranny past the studs. Only to finally realize you only need to lift it to gain access to slip the skid plate in place and that it sets on top of the tranny mounting plate instead of between. I sure felt like a dumbass. Guess I was due though, havent had one of those moments in a while. LOL.

Read the instructions several times and kept overlooking one word. :doh:

I did exactly the same thing. Must have wasted 45 minutes trying to figure it out. When I finally realized the plate goes on top of the tranny mount, it was a piece of cake. DOH!!!!

Top Bottom